Thread: what I would do if I was Virtrium

Default what I would do if I was Virtrium

This is what I would do if I were in charge.

1. Put a small team on the current server/client to fix minor bugs and run events. I would cease to work on any new material for the game in it's current form.

2. I would remove the current test server (the reason will be clear shortly)

3. I would have a new server/client created. This would have modern graphics and capabilities, but would re-create the old world exacty as it is now (minus the glitches). I would ensure that current characters could be transfered to the new server/client (though possibly with a makeover). I would also make sure that current player assets could be transfered over.

4. I would re-open Blight with the new server/client as soon as was feasible, possibly for Alpha testing.

5. I would ensure the the most popular sugestions are included in the new server/client.

6. I would not even think of going live untill my testers told me that it was ready to go.

7. I would re-launch the game as Istaria 2. I would self publish with a digital download. I would advertise the hell out of it, making sure it was talked about on massively, the mmo report, ect, ect, ect.

8. I would move all current players to the new server/client along with all their assets 2 months prior to launch. Their accounts would move with them.

9. I would begin phasing out the old client so that by 2 months after launch it was gone (remember the new client should do EVERYTHING the old one does).

10. I would keep the current free trial system.

11. I would add a micro-transaction store that was for cosmetic items, in particular housing decorations.

12. I would launch and give current players a free month of play.

13. As soon as launch was done and succesful I would stop for 2 months and do nothing but fix bugs that come up (there will always be some)

14. I would then begin working on new content and features. I would try to go back to the standard of player driven events to unlock the new content, though not all of those events should include building.

Ahh well...that is just a basic plan and only what I would do. I do enjoy the game though and will stay (if nothing else this game still has the best crafting of all MMO's (even if tehnique components were making me pull my hair out today).
    Have fun all and happy hunting.

Default Re: what I would do if I was Virtrium

So basically... you'd make a completely new and improved game in its entirety. I really don't think VI is anywhere near able to do that. >.>

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    So basically... you'd make a completely new and improved game in its entirety. I really don't think VI is anywhere near able to do that. >.>
    At this point 7 years since it's release it would be the best course. If VI were to talk to us and tell us they wanted to do that, but it would mean an end to current updates and could we be paitent for a year, then give us some gm run events so it dosn't feal like we are being ignored they could do it. At least 1/4 to 1/2 of the work is done as the actual world design and systems will not change. They could keep every single quest/node/plot tree/mountain/river and they will know where do go. Since they already have the models it would be a (somewhat) simple matter to redo the exact same models in newer graphics.

The initial phase would effictively be an updated copy of the same game, but with the ability to expand (the fact that the current client can't expand easily isn't VI's fault, but they are stuck with it unless they do this).

I don't know about you but if they announced they were doing that I would continue my subscription with no updates and the current bugs untill the new release. I would like to think that the rest of the community would do the same.

I have decided to return and will stay with it untill it dies, but I would rather see the game survive...and more than that, prosper.

Glad to hear you are staying and that you are enthusiastic for the game. Have a great week!
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Glad to hear you are staying and that you are enthusiastic for the game. Have a great week!
    thanks, you too...hope you can at least consider my suggestion.

I was actually offered a job by the origional team a long time ago, but I was in the navy and my (now ex) wife wouldn't hear of moving to phoenix.

I'm currently in the army as a supply sergeant/logistics sergeant. But am looking to get out in September. *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    thanks, you too...hope you can at least consider my suggestion.

I was actually offered a job by the origional team a long time ago, but I was in the navy and my (now ex) wife wouldn't hear of moving to phoenix.

I'm currently in the army as a supply sergeant/logistics sergeant. But am looking to get out in September. *wink*
    I didn't want to shoot down your ideas. I am glad you feel enthusiastic and free enough to post them. Rewriting the entire client and server is simply not feasible as it would take far longer than a year and cost a lot of money (far far far more than we have). We do advertise as much as we can, given our limited budget.

And as for point #1, the folks who create new content do not do the server/client programming, just like the folks who do art don't do content design.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I didn't want to shoot down your ideas. I am glad you feel enthusiastic and free enough to post them. Rewriting the entire client and server is simply not feasible as it would take far longer than a year and cost a lot of money (far far far more than we have). We do advertise as much as we can, given our limited budget.

And as for point #1, the folks who create new content do not do the server/client programming, just like the folks who do art don't do content design.
    Man that money issue is too bad...and I appriciate you not just shooting me down.

I'm not going to give up on this...but I am going to think and reasearch a bit.

This game always had alot of potential...I want it to reach that.

BTW in order to truly help as best as I can I joined the alpha test program...though the client zip is currently broken so I can't start it

Default Nice Thought

I must say OP... It would be cool buuuut

1) Merging the Land Holdings of Chaos and Order would likely be IMPOSSIBLE

2) I do not think VI has that kind of Manpower

3) I also do not think they have that kind of Server Power ATM

4) The sort of thing you are talking about would be VERY expensive and take a loooong time. It is not something you can do over night. It would require new 3D artists to redraw everything and a team of bug testers and new programmers.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: Nice Thought

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    I must say OP... It would be cool buuuut

1) Merging the Land Holdings of Chaos and Order would likely be IMPOSSIBLE

2) I do not think VI has that kind of Manpower

3) I also do not think they have that kind of Server Power ATM

4) The sort of thing you are talking about would be VERY expensive and take a loooong time. It is not something you can do over night. It would require new 3D artists to redraw everything and a team of bug testers and new programmers.
    I knew it wouldn't be cheap/quick/or easy. Was just what I would try to do in their situation. Also I would NOT recomend merging order and chaos...I would remake them as distinct shards on the new server/client. Ahh well...not going to happen unless I get blessed by the lotto faerie. And she would prefer if if I bought more than 3 tickets in a calender year!

Thread Information