Thread: New loot revamp

Default New loot revamp

Well here goes. I have been extremely disappointed with the loot in our game for a very long time. So when I heard a total loot revamp was in order I was extatic. Now that we have the new loot revamp in place my feelings have not improved. They have gotten worse, honestly the loot system makes me puke.
    The loot in the game is so lame I just dont know how to describe it. I have no idea how it got this way. the loot in this game used to be really nice about 3-4 yrs ago. Now I just hate to open the loot window. When I do it is the same old crap every time, worthless crap and hoard. It seems to me all that was done with the loot was change the names and icons of worthless crap. Are we ever going to have meaningful loot. Not just crap that clogs your inventory, that you have to cart to town to sell? Whatever happened to mobs dropping coin? Coin doesnt fill your pack and create inconvenience having to go sell it. The amount of hoard drops is sickening now. I wish you could limit hoard drops to dragon areas like Draak, Dralk, Chiconis and other dragon areas.
    The new weapon and jewelry parts are very nice, more like the epic stuff that is desireable. But this too is not as nice because the parts drop to frequently. Making them seem ordinary when every body has them because the pats drop off of every other mob that you kill. So anybody can spent an afternoon killing and get the parts they want.
    The thing about the loot tables that really torques me the most is the drops from Epic and named mobs. The loot from these mobs is a joke. I can get the same loot from a maggot in New Trismus as I can from Fafnir the Defiler and that aint right. It makes me wonder if the ones doing the work on this area of the game have ever played a game like this and have any understanding of what a player would like as loot from a certain mob. I know I dont want the same thing from every mob I kill, junk and hoard. And when I kill a named mob I definitely want to get a substantial loot not: This mob has nothing of value to you. When I kill an epic like Fafnir I expect to get more than a crystal and a piece of hoard.
    I hope this post hasnt hurt anyones feelings but this has bothered me for a long time and I finally decided to vent. My feelings are that the loot is the weakest facet of this game at this point. It appears that a lot of work was put into the new loot tables and frankly I expected a better result. Thank you for bearing with me. JMO Grodec
    Last edited by Grodec; January 26th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
    Experienced hunter and Grandmaster craftsman. Blight only

Default Re: New loot revamp

Quote Originally Posted by Grodec View Post
    The amount of hoard drops is sickening now. I wish you could limit hoard drops to dragon areas like Draak, Dralk, Chiconis and other dragon areas.
    Unless they returned Tier I mobs and resources to Chiconis and sent new dragons there instead of New Trismus, that's not really fair to new players... and it would mean that dragons would have to play pretty much entirely separate to bipeds.

Surely it's easy enough to find a dragon who's willing to part with coin to get those hoard items?

The thing about the loot tables that really torques me the most is the drops from Epic and named mobs. The loot from these mobs is a joke. I can get the same loot from a maggot in New Trismus as I can from Fafnir the Defiler
    Really? Exactly the same *tier* of loot? Either those maggots have been eating T6 mobs, or Fafnir's broke and only has a few coppers to spend on collecting crystals
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Default Ummm...

The broken bits need to drop as often as they do because you need two to make most things. So finding the two you need is a pain especially when you get all the other ones and this will get WORSE when Dragon Scales are in the mix. The items you create using the pieces are not incredibly OP or game breaking and therefore do not really necessitate a rarer drop status.

Hoard cannot be stuck near Dragon places because Hatchies need it from the get-go and cannot hope to fight near those places immediately but they could tone down the drops of it just a tiny bit. It does drop at an obnoxious rate.

You do not get the same loot from a NT Maggot... Sorry... However, I agree that named and epic really NEED to give you a big reward in terms of loot for killing them. I fully agree at how disappointing it can be to open their loot window to find nothing of interest or out of the ordinary compared to every other monster of their Tier and Type.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

My opinion:

We have an inflation of hoard atm, even the smallest hatchie is well fed
    (which is good at first sight- but what is hoard worth if noone needs more??)

I have expected the broken items to be rare drop.
    Lots of my friends already have 12 or more sets.
    What should they do with that? They give it away to other friends. All have everything in a few days
    This loot became worthless in record-time- could have kept us busy for a long time. Could have helped our sleeping economy. This chance is gone now.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

*still looks for Valkor's claw and scale, as well as other epic things... or is it different of broken items?

*has no epics on any alts*

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    My opinion:

We have an inflation of hoard atm, even the smallest hatchie is well fed
    (which is good at first sight- but what is hoard worth if noone needs more??)

I have expected the broken items to be rare drop.
    Lots of my friends already have 12 or more sets.
    What should they do with that? They give it away to other friends. All have everything in a few days
    This loot became worthless in record-time- could have kept us busy for a long time. Could have helped our sleeping economy. This chance is gone now.
    I will buy various pieces but when I ask Market I hear crickets and I rarely see them up on any Connie. It can be a pain to store all the broken bits but I want to use them.

To Lung: They are different things, not Epics.

I too see little point in this loot revamp. Took me 10 hours to get a full set of the new jewels and the 2 handed axe bits. I have tons of bits I'd thought I could sell in MP chat only to get shot down and laughed at. They drop so abundantly they have no value. Now that I have them they will probably be "readjusted".

Coming back to this game one year ago I had 8 gold and lost my house and possessions. Up until now I managed to hit the 100 gold mark killing mobs that give coin while farming xp trophy's and farming fire pygmies/ogres for the ever elusive t4 stun tech. They would drop about 200-300cp but killing thousands of them adds up. After my 10 hour stint killing blights and blighted kwellens for bits my dragon got 8 million hoard and around 50 silver from the trade in items in Bris.

I remember when t5 process forms came out and sold for 5 gold. I do like the new drop rates of comps, make em rare so people who manage to get them and do not need can sell for some nice cash.

Everybody should have fun playing this game. Those that like adventuring, those that like crafting and those that like both.

This game should be fun, techniques are part of the reason that makes it fun. So making that hard to get (what it probably should have been from the very start, but was never so) while many have been playing for years is going to make some of us sad.

I agree that tech components should be rare, but not so rare that it takes 5-10 hours to collect 4 rare comps and not because the drop rate is bad, but because the mobs hardly spawn. It is fun to kill treants especially with their Oastic friends as back-up, but in a huge spawnfield with Sapling Treants, Treants, Massive Treants and Enraged Treants... Who comes up with the idea of making the most rare of the whole field the carrier of the 2 components. 5-7 Enraged in the whole field when you are lucky and at a drop rate of 20 mobs for 1 rare component (regular component being 4 mobs to 1 component) you spend more time killing time then Treants in search of those bloody things.

Not even mentioning that some people have different social schedules… I hardly have a life so I spend 2+ hours every evening ingame when I feel like it, others might only have time to spend a few hours each week and with all the high end hunters only on the hunt for those (in some cases overpowered) jewelry sets it gets lame very fast due to hardly being able to buy the comps.

Concerning the hoard, of all the mobs that I have killed so far in search of my components only the Bloodskulks dropped hoard. No animals or other not intelligent drop it as far as I have seen
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Concerning the hoard, of all the mobs that I have killed so far in search of my components only the Bloodskulks dropped hoard. No animals or other not intelligent drop it as far as I have seen
    Ogres, Pygmies....ummmm....(hard to think of stuff when you aren't ingame lol) well anyhow, all semi-intelligents seem to drop massive amounts of hoard on my side lol.

and I agree, the broken loot drops WAAAY too much, and with them being overpowered like hell (especially the T6 jewelry), it kinda makes the game....boring.

now, if the early tiers (let's say, 1, 2 and 3) had a bit of a lower droprate, and the upper tiers would be a bit more rare to get, that would make the broken loot not only fun to hunt for, but also worth something when you have too much/spares

As a low level player (my highest is 30ish, but I have a lot of 10-30ish characters ) I have to say that looting has become less fun. The biggest factor in this is the removal of the blighted items. They were the one thing in loot that I would look forward to getting and looking at to see if maybe it was usable, and it was always fun to see some of the strange combinations of abilities on them. Now we get the broken pieces which are boring because they are all the same - no need to look at them, and useless refurbished gear. I mean, if I'm fighting level 11-15 undead, what possible use is a pair of refurbished flaxen long-johns?? They aren't even worth the pack space to carry them back to the broker. Couldn't they at very least drop gear suitable for their level?

Quote Originally Posted by Diput View Post
    As a low level player (my highest is 30ish, but I have a lot of 10-30ish characters ) I have to say that looting has become less fun. The biggest factor in this is the removal of the blighted items. They were the one thing in loot that I would look forward to getting and looking at to see if maybe it was usable, and it was always fun to see some of the strange combinations of abilities on them. Now we get the broken pieces which are boring because they are all the same - no need to look at them, and useless refurbished gear. I mean, if I'm fighting level 11-15 undead, what possible use is a pair of refurbished flaxen long-johns?? They aren't even worth the pack space to carry them back to the broker. Couldn't they at very least drop gear suitable for their level?
    Blighted items not dropping sounds more like a bug to me. Amon recently rebalanced some of the blighted item's effects so I don't think they were meant to be removed (IE wouldn't have done that if they were going to disappear).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

What i want to know is what is up with all these revamp to how coin get s dropped?

what was wrong with the mobs just dropping coin...it made group hunting easy since the money got split up automatically. then the staff spent time to make money bags that all they did was turn into junk loot that i never brothered to use. i did not want to spend 10 20 mins after 2 hours of hunting of doing "use money bag" over and over and over. now the staff has taking more time into changing the way coin gets acquired from mobs.......wonders what version 4 of coin drop method drop will be?

I have to agree regarding the loot drops for Named.
    They are out and out bonafide TRASH.

So far I've dropped: Lorgus (3X), Flamentus (2x), Ravager (2X)
    and Brecah (3x).

Looted: 1 bit of Junk-loot-garbage EACH.
    No Trophies, No comp bits, No Reward for effort of taking down
    a tough opponent (Which Named are supposed to be)

What is wrong with this picture?

Andaras

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Blighted items not dropping sounds more like a bug to me. Amon recently rebalanced some of the blighted item's effects so I don't think they were meant to be removed (IE wouldn't have done that if they were going to disappear).
    Maybe they made them like crystals - don't drop from undead any more. In any case, my point stands that loot has become less fun at least in the 1-30 range where I have been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Hasia View Post
    what was wrong with the mobs just dropping coin...it made group hunting easy since the money got split up automatically.
    I liked that too about group hunting. This change seems to discourage group hunting further??

I am also a bit baffled, as I was under the impression that a ton of trash loot would be more taxing on the database than (numerical) coins. I could be totally wrong but it seems a lot less streamlined.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Broken Items - Drop rate needs to be toned down. They are being farmed and stockpiled too easily at the moment. A piece of content that could have lasted months and encouraged trades has been burnt out in a couple of hours (for ppl that have gone and hunted).

Tech Comps - Can't make my mind up on that one yet think its too early to gauge the impact.

Techniques - Mentioned in a separate thread.

Formulas - I don't see any issue.

Junk Loot - I just see this as pointless content. As already mentioned taking the old one step system (coin purses/coin looted) and making it a two step time sink is wrong. Good way to irritate players thou.

Trophies - Again can't make my mind up yet. However something needed to be done about trophies anyway as the trophy hunter quests are really badly unbalanced.

Rant - Please stop treating the Live servers as test environments (how many bug reports/feedback posts were made about the loot drop rates while the content was on blight?)
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    Broken Items - Drop rate needs to be toned down. They are being farmed and stockpiled too easily at the moment. A piece of content that could have lasted months and encouraged trades has been burnt out in a couple of hours (for ppl that have gone and hunted).

Chasing- I agree, I said the same in another thread.
    But- having hunted for them myself now I found out, that broken items ARE rare drop. If you are not uber.

Istarias blessing and curse: The vet/uber chars.

They play a complete patch in one/ a few days. They pull whole ED/doom at once. And get everything and more in record time.
    I do not begrudge them for that. Vice versa. They deserve it all, cause they spend hard work and life time to come that far.
    But our game can`t be designed for the requirements of the ubers only.

To prevent what you describe above, it makes sense to attune as much as possible. Now the market is spammed with complete sets of broken items.
    Others will not have the feeling of success that they did it on their own.
    (ok- nobody is forced to buy it- but most sets come as a gift- and to be honest- I would not say no- if a scale set was offerd to me ).

In the future we should not whine too loud if things get attuned.
    It makes more and more sense to me.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Default Attunement

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Chasing- I agree, I said the same in another thread.
    But- having hunted for them myself now I found out, that broken items ARE rare drop. If you are not uber.

Istarias blessing and curse: The vet/uber chars.

They play a complete patch in one/ a few days. They pull whole ED/doom at once. And get everything and more in record time.
    I do not begrudge them for that. Vice versa. They deserve it all, cause they spend hard work and life time to come that far.
    But our game can`t be designed for the requirements of the ubers only.

To prevent what you describe above, it makes sense to attune as much as possible. Now the market is spammed with complete sets of broken items.
    Others will not have the feeling of success that they did it on their own.
    (ok- nobody is forced to buy it- but most sets come as a gift- and to be honest- I would not say no- if a scale set was offerd to me ).

In the future we should not whine too loud if things get attuned.
    It makes more and more sense to me.
    Why? Attuning everything makes it so you cannot pass it on to other characters. I for one rather like the idea of passing on a great item that I have created to others. Maybe that item can get a reputation and become a Blade of Legend or the like in time as people keep passing it down. Besides, why do certain items STICK to you anyway? I mean what is wrong with them that in Role Play terms they will NOT be put into your HOUSE or be traded?

Completed Sets = Salable Goods which = Needed for Istaria. There is nothing wrong with folks selling them and if you want it to have a very special personal touch then you will still want to make it for yourself or have someone custom make it with color, techs, and inscriptions. Look at the weapons I make any time and you will see the care I put into each one goes beyond finding stuff and slapping it together. I love the idea that folks are running around with Shinkuu made Weapons and annihilating the Aegis with them.

Thread Information