Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions

Default Newbie questions

Hello all.
    I am a newbie in Istaria with liitle experience in online games. Was looking for some mMORPg - and at mmorpg.com found they reccomended Istaria to someone.
    However, there are some unclear moments for me:
    1. Trials of the Gifted.Test of the Wit. I ask Assesor of Wit at the camp, it redirects me to the New Trismus with riddle and riddle token. And then the fun: I am supposed to trade token with Wit assistant and select an item representing the answer. When I place toekn into "items given" - I receive 1 copper coin. No filters activated (re-checked many times). Result: quest cancelled.
    2. Lone wolf of New trismus. Can't get Lone Wolf skin as is written in our Wiki. I got bones, damaged animal skin, animal skin, worthless tokens...everything but the Lone wolf skin.Tried to use animal skin - but it does not fit. Result: quest cancelled as impossible.
    3. Defender of New Trismus. It was impossible for lvl.18 warrior to kill at least two (2) Skeleton raiders. They almost killed me with their endless magic. When I approach - they began activating everything for their defense; when I approach - they start throwing every battle spell they have at me and without pause. Almost got killed every time. Tried my lack with sword, with cugel, finally - with refurbished crossbow. Nothing helps. There are too many skeletons and all my statuses (str - 100, health - 481, dex. - can't remember) are far too low. Maybe it is a fight for a mage, but I do prefer warrior. I was told I should kill them by one. Easy to say: they always gather in groups, attack in groups, disengage in groups. Result:quest cancelled as impossible.
    4. My own growth. I found that killing lesser magots (lvl.7) is a nice wqay to grow up: just gather crystals, use them, gather both adventure and crafting experience - and grow. I get too little exp. from maggots, but the crystals compensate everything. However, they began giving too little adventure exp. crystals - and I have a problem. There are too little enemies that are worth killing (at least lvl.8 ones). Sand pygmy is rare and golem-like thing on New Trismus is rare too. I was told I can own sand beatles. But even if I slay them - it would be too long to griow by >10.000 xp points. The question is: how to grow fast and without too much risking?

Default Re: Newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by anonimas View Post
    Hello all.
    I am a newbie in Istaria with liitle experience in online games. Was looking for some mMORPg - and at mmorpg.com found they reccomended Istaria to someone.
    Welcome to Istaria!

However, there are some unclear moments for me:
    1. Trials of the Gifted.Test of the Wit. I ask Assesor of Wit at the camp, it redirects me to the New Trismus with riddle and riddle token. And then the fun: I am supposed to trade token with Wit assistant and select an item representing the answer. When I place toekn into "items given" - I receive 1 copper coin. No filters activated (re-checked many times). Result: quest cancelled.
    I believe this is fixed in a patch currently in testing on Blight. It should go live soon. Thank you for your patience.

2. Lone wolf of New trismus. Can't get Lone Wolf skin as is written in our Wiki. I got bones, damaged animal skin, animal skin, worthless tokens...everything but the Lone wolf skin.Tried to use animal skin - but it does not fit. Result: quest cancelled as impossible.
    Yes, it is also broken. We've got it fixed on Blight.

3. Defender of New Trismus. It was impossible for lvl.18 warrior to kill at least two (2) Skeleton raiders. They almost killed me with their endless magic. When I approach - they began activating everything for their defense; when I approach - they start throwing every battle spell they have at me and without pause. Almost got killed every time. Tried my lack with sword, with cugel, finally - with refurbished crossbow. Nothing helps. There are too many skeletons and all my statuses (str - 100, health - 481, dex. - can't remember) are far too low. Maybe it is a fight for a mage, but I do prefer warrior. I was told I should kill them by one. Easy to say: they always gather in groups, attack in groups, disengage in groups. Result:quest cancelled as impossible.
    I myself played through this quest solo as a Warrior-Mage a couple weeks ago and found it to be very hard as well. I toned the rate at which the Skeletal Raiders/Patrollers/Defenders spawned down in the patch that just went to Blight for testing.

4. My own growth. I found that killing lesser magots (lvl.7) is a nice wqay to grow up: just gather crystals, use them, gather both adventure and crafting experience - and grow. I get too little exp. from maggots, but the crystals compensate everything. However, they began giving too little adventure exp. crystals - and I have a problem. There are too little enemies that are worth killing (at least lvl.8 ones). Sand pygmy is rare and golem-like thing on New Trismus is rare too. I was told I can own sand beatles. But even if I slay them - it would be too long to griow by >10.000 xp points. The question is: how to grow fast and without too much risking?
    Do more quests. If you are > level 10 go to Lesser Aradoth and fight a wider variety of monster there.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quests and trophies, are the best way to advance. If you play multiple classes you will find this is the only way to advance, and will be slower without the additional mob experience, but that is the trade off for having access to a variety of abilities and spells from different adventure classes.

Take the previous advice and head to Lesser Aradoth. Learn which mobs are easier and faster to kill, and which drop more trophies. Hunting the same mob that both the Marshall and Trophy Hunter NPCs offer quests for, is advisable most of the time.

It sounds like you are soloing which is what I mostly do. As far as finding certain quests or mobs too powerful at the time you receive a quest, you have a couple choices.
    Either wait til you are more powerful, group with others, or persevere by finding the right combination of class, abilities, and strategies to overcome.

You need to learn how to pull mobs individually to a safe spot where you can take them down without interference. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but it requires that you study the layout, probe the physical boundaries, observe the pathing patterns of the mobs, and time your assault and movement in order to penetrate their position.

Specifically in regard to " the Defender of Trismus " quest line, you can scale the left wall before the entrance to the blight area and pull the desired mob types individually, waiting for the nearest one to be alone. You can pull them all the way out beyond the undead area if you stay close enough to keep them interested while doing it. Then when you need to penetrate the blight area, move up the right wall and travel safely unilt you spot the targets you want and position yourself accordingly for more individual pulls.

Soloing is an art form. It requires more effort and planning. You can always group to make things easier.

Thanks for the help.
    As for Test of the Wit - it is a mystery for me. Opened a ticket, support told server was ok. The other player created a character and was able to exchange. Don't know what went wrong.

The advice on trophies is indeed a valuable one. Thanks, would stick to it.

Yes, I am soloing as it is too hard to find a company. When I was some lvl.15 - it was very profitable to own lesser maggots. They gave some experience and valuable crystals. Now I have some trouble in Kion: I may own lvl.7-9 mobs without difficulty, but they give me little experience. Tried to go for sand pygmies - same story. Deeper in the forest, there were some lvl.14-18 monsters, but I ran into problems while fighting lvl.16 spider-like thing. Fought sandstone golems, mostly lvl.8-9, but no real trophies and experience. Later I met sand beetles, these were lvl.16 and gave some exp, but I lost the place I found them.

And the skeletons again. Took a quest "Looking for a lost patrol", went to the gates, met Marauding Skeleton with >800 health...and the fight was almost over. Used my Critical Strike II, Power strike, Negate attack II, Render armor - but the ugly skeleton almost owned me. Had to recall. Returned, but only to find some unfriendly golems. ALmost lost the fight again. Teleported to Parsinia, returned - only to find skeleton is gone. Deleted the quest, but the question returns - how can I fight skeleton that has almost twice as health as I do? Bought some maul, equipped with Flaming weapon - maybe that would help?

Another problem was the shop. At New Trismus, shop is always full - and I found they have nothing to offer at Kion and Parsinia. So, had to teleport to New Trismus. Is that for me only or...?

Because Istaria has a low player base, there are only a few locations where a consigner is used these days, mainly NT and Bristugo. You may find some food in various taverns.

The NT consigner is where most items for beginner and journeyman levels would be found. I have noticed a 50% drop in the amount of items being listed in NT as of late, perhaps because christmas break is over.

Personally I will craft most items for players on demand and many others do so as well. I think it provides more interaction with a low player base. I don't really list items to make a profit as I seem to have more than enough coin. So if you want something crafted you should ask in the marketplace channel.

I also could not solo the Marauding Skeleton as a warrior immediately when I received the quest, until I advanced some other classes to increase my healing and get access to some spells, but as explained before, realize that the more adventure classes you play, the less experience you get from mobs because your ADV rating increases. You will always get the same amount of experience from quests and turning in trophies regardless though.

Another question from noob:
    what is the real difference between Dexterity and Evasion? Both offer "block physical attack" and I can't figure out. Dexterity increases something connected with mind and Evasion...?
    I am asking this just because of my lvl.20 warrior. I put everything in physical hits (Strenght) and now - to evasion (Dexterity?). So I need to know which skill should be chosen?

Dexterity is mostly used for accuracy when attacking and I believe it's the attacking stat for ranged attacks (or at least affects the attacking skills for ranged classes) not dodging. It contributes a little to that, but the main stat for dodging is evasion.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Dex seems to be helpful for all kind of breath too.
    Since I pushed it up, the breaths rarely miss.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

This is how it works roughly for melee and ranged melee

Chance to hit

Attacker
    2/3rd Weapon Skill + 1/3rd Dexterity
    VS
    Defender
    2/3rd (Evasion + Ward) + 1/3rd Dexterity

Dodge check

Attacker
    Weapon Skill
    VS
    Defender
    Evasion

The dexterity stat does add a minor bonus to weapon skill for the ranged skills but it is 10 points per 100 dexterity added. Much more efficent to add directly to the weapon skill.

Melee and Ranged Melee are both calculated the same way with Strength and Weapon Skill being the main stats that affect damage.

Note
    Dragon Breaths are magical attacks, therefore should be focus instead of dexterity for chance to hit, and power instead of strength for damage dealt.

More info here (warning it gets a bit indepth)
    http://www.crimson-dawn.org/?pn=UnOf...at_calculation
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

In short - in order to evade non-magic attack, I should raise evasion?
    Funny thing is - I put all the points from dexterity to evasion and now can't add any point to dexterity. Another game bug?

In short - in order to evade non-magic attack, I should raise evasion?
    Funny thing is - I put all the points from dexterity to evasion and now can't add any point to dexterity. Another game bug?
    Primarily raise Evasion and Wards, Secondary is Dexterity.

With your training points you can only move a certain amount at a time (buy back points). You will need to wait for them to regenerate over time.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Understood. Thanks for explanation about dexterity and evasion.
    More noobish questions - this time about schools. I am:
    Adventure school: Warrior
    Crafting schools:
    1. Blacksmith - lvl 18
    2. Gatherer (lvl 2 or 3 - can't remember)
    3. Kind of New Tristam school, can't remember which one - lvl.1

The problem is, I was given a quest by blacksmith in N.Tristam - "Speak with Kelinda in Kion". Travelled to Kion and then - "Speak with Kelinda quest disable duo to constrain or school (something). I deleted all the quests - nothing happens.
    I was offered 2 solutions:
    1) join any school, then re-join my old one (blacksmith). Doubt if this would help, but who knows?
    2) travel to certain town, speka with NPC, then travel to vertain island, talk to NPC, meditate for 2 minutes and one of my schools would be forgotten. Nice thing, but I am a bit afraid about travelling: my warrior level is too low.

Any ideas?

Understood. Thanks for explanation about dexterity and evasion.
    More noobish questions - this time about schools. I am:
    Adventure school: Warrior
    Crafting schools:
    1. Blacksmith - lvl 18
    2. Gatherer (lvl 2 or 3 - can't remember)
    3. Kind of New Tristam school, can't remember which one - lvl.1

The problem is, I was given a quest by blacksmith in N.Tristam - "Speak with Kelinda in Kion". Travelled to Kion and then - "Speak with Kelinda quest disable duo to constrain or school (something). I deleted all the quests - nothing happens.
    I was offered 2 solutions:
    1) join any school, then re-join my old one (blacksmith). Doubt if this would help, but who knows?
    2) travel to certain town, speka with NPC, then travel to vertain island, talk to NPC, meditate for 2 minutes and one of my schools would be forgotten. Nice thing, but I am a bit afraid about travelling: my warrior level is too low.

Any ideas?
    Quests normally disable if you switch from the school the quest belongs to into a different school. In this case if you switch back into the Blacksmith school, you should be able to continue the quest.

With ref to the forgetting trainer (point 2 - you mentioned) he is for removing adventure schools and you wouldn't normally need to use him unless you have an issue with your adventure rating. Craft schools cannot be removed (not really a need to remove craft schools as xp is calculated differently to adventure).
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Well...thanks for the answer, but something remains unclear.
    I received a quest from N.Tristam blacksmith - to talk with his colleague in Kion. Arrived in Kion - quest disabled. Deleted all other quests (military ones, so there should be no problems) - quest disabled.
    What's wrong?

Did you change school after receiving the quest?

If no then it sounds like there is a bug with the quest.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I did not change crafting schhol. I written before, I have one active (blacksmith) and two passive (?) - gatherer and something else, can't remember.
    If this is a bug - Istaria's quests are rather buggy. Lone wolf did not give Lone wolf skin; Assistant of Wit won't trade items for token; Jungle crawler workers won't appear near Sslanis. And now this one, my beloved blacksmith, not to speak about flaming maul disappeared from my inventory But that's a question for the developers.

Another noob question about socketed techniques. I bought some from NPC in Sslanis. Now, in order to produce socketed weapon with lvl.19 blacksmith - what do I need? As far as I understood, I need bronze bars to make a weapon, a crystal to socket into weapon and a certain number of materials to use technique. Is that right? If so, ius the weapon produced at the anvil or at some other structure?

I did not change crafting schhol. I written before, I have one active (blacksmith) and two passive (?) - gatherer and something else, can't remember.
    If this is a bug - Istaria's quests are rather buggy. Lone wolf did not give Lone wolf skin; Assistant of Wit won't trade items for token; Jungle crawler workers won't appear near Sslanis. And now this one, my beloved blacksmith, not to speak about flaming maul disappeared from my inventory But that's a question for the developers.
    Your Blacksmith quest is most likely bugged then, i dont remember it being reported before so you need to either make a post in the current bugs thread or log a support ticket on the support website.

Lone Wolf Skin - This is being fixed today with the Feb 2011 content patch

Jungle Crawler Workers - This is being fixed today with the Feb 2011 content patch

Flaming maul - You need to log that via support ticket so it can be investigated.

Another noob question about socketed techniques. I bought some from NPC in Sslanis. Now, in order to produce socketed weapon with lvl.19 blacksmith - what do I need? As far as I understood, I need bronze bars to make a weapon, a crystal to socket into weapon and a certain number of materials to use technique. Is that right? If so, ius the weapon produced at the anvil or at some other structure?
    Most techniques you add at the time of item creation (at the machine required to make the item). In the case of the socketing techniques they are slightly different now. They can be added at the time of item creation or drag and dropped onto an item in your inventory. Note for the drag and drop you must have a technique slot free. Tier 1 & 2 items (0-39) only have one technique slot.

Just a note on bugs. Yes there are bugs. If they get reported they get fixed and patched out. Istaria is a massive game and it is near impossible to catch every bug. Also sometimes changes to the game can affect other parts of the world that wasn't intended (for example the loot revamp affected the lone wolf quest). This is mostly due to the sheer complexity and richness of the game (A might impact B, but also impacts K, N, and P indirectly). Best thing to suggest is if you find a bug please report it, then it can be fixed.

Edit: If you have a technique you need to right click and scribe it before it becomes available at the time of item creation. Not every technique is usable on every item.
    Last edited by Chasing; February 15th, 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Scribing techs
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

One thing to remember is that most of the bugs in quests and crafting are due to the recent loot revamp which is being worked on and corrected.
    If anyone finds any problems with component drops / crafting or quests they should be reported asap so these can all be taken care of.

Me again
    Once again several stupid questions.
    1) Ancient mummy, lvl.19 (not 21, as is written in our Wiki). It has ~1200 HP, strikes me at ~30-40 points, while I am at 561 health points. Bearing in mind that sometimes I miss and mummy hits - I got owned almost every time. The question is - should I use socketed bronze sword (5-9 hit +15 strenght) or fine bronze maul (15-29 hit + 15 str)? Maul would do more damage, but it's a bit slower+ I have to remove socketed bronze shield (i.e. less armor).

2) iron working. So far, I found iron only occasionally when mining copper and tin. Is there any iron veins, so that I would be mining iron only?

1) I might give the maul a try since the damage scores are significantly different, but if neither one gets you anywhere close to killing the mummy, I simply suggest more leveling.

2) Yes, resource nodes exist for every type of metal, gem, etc. Iron is located near Chiconis, Scorpion Island, Abandoned Island, and I believe at King's Quarry.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Thread Information