Thread: Spiritus Character, Thoughts and Ideas.

Default Spiritus Character, Thoughts and Ideas.

Seeing all the recent speak of OOC chat and stuff, I figured I ask everyones opinion on a particular thing I've been mulling over in my mind about this character. Ever since the idea hit me to make this drake into a sort of jack of all trades, Ive been working on RPing, him in public clearing/rp/chat in many different forms, notably a change in his pattern colors and eyes depending on which, red markinh(which he actually has) and magma eyes for fire, blue marking and eyes for ice, solid white/purple eyes for lightning, and the rarely used green for acid. It seemed a fun idea.
    The idea itself hit me during the fun hours of doing the Breathe quests, that maybe each one would at it's own affinity, that while strengthening his ability to use ice/lightning/acid, it also cut back on the predominant fire affinity most dragons share. Now for the part Im pondering and would like to work on the most (and this will hopefully play out if they do a dragon revamp like I heard someone saying a few weeks back).
    The time for his ARoP is coming up and my idea was that when he did ascend, whichever form he should be in will become permanent and strengthened and his natural abilities in the other disappear. Notably I've been leaning towards Lightning because it just seems like the most fun role to play out. If the revamp should go through or is real, then I can change his colors accordingly when it does go live. Curious what everyone would think of this..also this explains a little why I rp his shifting colors sometimes and people just seem confused.

Default Re: Spiritus Character, Thoughts and Ideas.

Well keeping in mind I'm not TELLING anyone how to play their character (but am always up for offering advice and guidance if asked..).

I would think it would perfectly fine to RP a dragon becoming stronger in XYZ power associated with a breath upon ascending, and that forcing his colors to stick. I can see that an acceptable stretch of "lore" so to speak wihtout blowing it to bits .

Now the whole "dragon changes colors" for whatever reason, shifting for whatever reason is a bit more of a "blowing apart" of lore to me. Which is probably why you're being met with confusion from other RPers. I can see the logic of "ok I'm experimenting with available breath abilities to pick which one I shall concentrate on for my acienthood". But the shifting-according-to-what-power-I'm-Using (if that is what you're doing, I wasn't sure from yhour description) to me is a bit harder to allow because it is lorebreaking in more than one way, and it creates issues with "if your dragon changres why doesn't every other dragon?" Which leads to your dragon being an entirely different dragon species or something somehow...

Which to *me* goes too far. The one-time-shift/change say of the color upon ancient ascension due to your choosing to stick to one breath-power is far easier "lore jump" and simply explained by any dragon you may come into conctact with (and after the fact it really isn't a major part of RP anymore as you're just the one color combo or whatever). A constantly shifting color dragon is something much harder for say a "native Istarian" to wrap their brain around. If I am looking at you and you shift from red to black to blue, then my character has just seen something that has never existed and her brain explodes .

Also keep in mind that 1-dragon re-customization could still be a year or more away 2-it could be a one-time-use thing or a very limited use-thing 3-could be expensive RL money for each turn. So trying to come up with a continuing-RP-color-changing dragon to use this willy nilly may not actually be what's coming . I don't see that as the main "basis" for what you want to do, but just pointing that out for your musings on how you want to envision your character .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Well keeping in mind I'm not TELLING anyone how to play their character (but am always up for offering advice and guidance if asked..).

I would think it would perfectly fine to RP a dragon becoming stronger in XYZ power associated with a breath upon ascending, and that forcing his colors to stick. I can see that an acceptable stretch of "lore" so to speak wihtout blowing it to bits .

Now the whole "dragon changes colors" for whatever reason, shifting for whatever reason is a bit more of a "blowing apart" of lore to me. Which is probably why you're being met with confusion from other RPers. I can see the logic of "ok I'm experimenting with available breath abilities to pick which one I shall concentrate on for my acienthood". But the shifting-according-to-what-power-I'm-Using (if that is what you're doing, I wasn't sure from yhour description) to me is a bit harder to allow because it is lorebreaking in more than one way, and it creates issues with "if your dragon changres why doesn't every other dragon?" Which leads to your dragon being an entirely different dragon species or something somehow...

Which to *me* goes too far. The one-time-shift/change say of the color upon ancient ascension due to your choosing to stick to one breath-power is far easier "lore jump" and simply explained by any dragon you may come into conctact with (and after the fact it really isn't a major part of RP anymore as you're just the one color combo or whatever). A constantly shifting color dragon is something much harder for say a "native Istarian" to wrap their brain around. If I am looking at you and you shift from red to black to blue, then my character has just seen something that has never existed and her brain explodes .

Also keep in mind that 1-dragon re-customization could still be a year or more away 2-it could be a one-time-use thing or a very limited use-thing 3-could be expensive RL money for each turn. So trying to come up with a continuing-RP-color-changing dragon to use this willy nilly may not actually be what's coming . I don't see that as the main "basis" for what you want to do, but just pointing that out for your musings on how you want to envision your character .
    #

I must agree. I also have to say this - originality. While I know these days it's hard to be 'super original' when 99% of all ideas have been taken. But somehow for me...the whole color change thing? It's a wonderful idea! Sure! Keep it if you want to. With a proper IC explanation, I'd say it's totally fun.

But keep in mind, IF you really want this to be visual outside of chats ( Aka, your character's look), you might have to consider just HOW ready you are to keep to this character. Because as he said - character customization MAY be expensive. What if it costs 10$ To change your character's look? Or what if it really is a one-slot thing. You'd have to pay per change.

Now another thing that slightly disturbs me - the "Jack of All Trades" thing.

Look. I am not accusing you of anything , mate. And hell I could be doing a mistake ; but I do not like the sound of it. I personally am NOT a big fan of having a "Super awesome can do anything whoop de doo" Character and many people are not fans of seeing those. Keep in mind that "Jack of All Trades" simply dictates you having knowledge of each trait/ability/trade/whatever, but it does not mean you have total mastery of it. Keep in mind that you have to craft your character in a way OTHERS will enjoy roleplaying with you aswell. After all, roleplaying is all about Peer-to-peer interaction!

I can totally understand if your character uses some sort of magical means to shift his scale colors to amplify such abilities, with alot of work. But keep in mind three things - Lore. The people's ability to believe that. And the REASON you want it. Now this is just my opinion again but -your idea sounds like it is just a gimick (s?). Now I am all for gimicks (s?) but keep it to a minimum. Making your character's ability visually pleasing, yet not having any real asteatic or helpful effect makes it about on the same level as danging your keys infront of a baby's face.

Keep these things in mind, perhaps make a few TINY modifications and keep things in mind - and I say your character will be just awesome. *nod*
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Personally, I think I have seen more out-of-lore characters, abilities, appearances,... be accepted by a large part of the Order roleplayers. Spiritus, I think you don't need to do in-game changes for this, just describing the colors each time they have changed, when other(s) character(s) see it, can be good enough.

Well, the outward color shifts of his markings and eyes were just a way to distinguish which affinity he was currently in. My thoughts were once I do the ARoP some even or somethign will happen to where he is permanently shifted to a Lightning Drake. I have no interest in creating a god-mod character in fact I avoid fighting for that reason in most cases. The jack of all trades idea is just as it is. A Jack is lesser than any ace, so his skills in each are not near a masters or a drake aligned to one thing such as fire as most dragons, or ice (Drysten) and Im not sure Ive met many others, but those are examples. And when he did his ARoP his lightning abilities would significantly increase while the others would take a hit. Ty for your input so far I figured This would be a good place to explain any oddities/get opinions.

Thread Information