Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -YOU- have NO life + more!

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Default -YOU- have NO life + more!

Riddle me this, Istaria. How often have you heared these words - or at least seen them written?

Ten times? Twenty? I'm sure you perhaps hear it every day. Let me make one thing clear. When does 'no-life' begin and end? When you have no reason to do anything else, and end up doing nothing, spending all of your free time online?

I myself get the comment alot. I don't mind talking about it. I am a no-lifer. I am proud of it. But I find it degrading and stupid when people simply resort to pitty-talking anyone they dislike with "you have no life" or otherwise.

But what really has made me twitch is that recently I have been getting it from people whom seemingly have boasted about their OWN playtime , and surpass my own endurance (Which is very surprising) and this has began to annoy me.

Would you not get annoyed if this happened to you daily?

Another thing which has began to annoy me - and do not take this the WRONG way people...is the lack of good roleplay around.

I am NOT saying that Istaria's roleplayers are bad in any way. Infact - I came here just to escape the garbage there is out there. You are all very accomplished. But this is literally my only sanctuary left. I remember at last 2-3 years ago I could find great roleplay abound! I would literally have problems keeping UP with roleplays due to their extreme content that I literally could not comprehend. Literally. I would have to shut off my MSN just to consentrait on reading a paragraph. I have been suggested to look for roleplay forums but I cannot find any alive.

What HAS happened to the standards of roleplay lately? I have literally been dumbfounded how every single game that HAD a decent roleplay community has been tarnished by floods upon floods of noobs and trolls.

And finally - a personal peeve, what can one do when they are angry? I have a bit of a problem...I am easily offended and sometimes a tad self-concious. I do my best to appear chipper and bright but I fear that I might accidetially offend one person - leading to everyone hating me. I suppose it is a bit of a fear...an irrational one. One cannot please everyone.

But what can one do to get over that? I sometimes find myself holding back insults, trying to be nice to people and they keep being stuburn and keep bothering OTHERS as a result.

RANT OVER! :3
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Default Re: -YOU- have NO life + more!

Three words: World Of Warcraft.

When I first went there with my family it was to a RP server. As time went on and we took grief for roleplaying we found less and less people to do it with (and there was cool rp in WoW...I remember being in a guild who's storyline was that it served Sylvanis, we would hold our guild meetings in character, on bended knee around Sylvanis...that was a blast). Then WoW made rp less desirable with random dungeon mechanics, speed leveling (you can now pl yourself in WoW) and the endless grind that is endgame that drove me back to Istaria and laircrafting as it's less grindy!

Ahh well, back to work.

- If you have a life or not-
    others cannot deceide/judge this.
    As long as you feel good about- its a life, and a good one.

Folks speak so if they do not understand- if they do not understand you might not need them.
    (Would they say the same to people who spend all their time reading "good" books? Or to those who do excessive workouts? Or spend their time hanging around in bars?aso)

- I can`t tell about the rp on Order cause I am not into it.
    I had the last (good) rp with my rl friends when we played AD&D /Midgard.

- Social competence is a matter of experience (besides other).
    There is no sense in offending someone,
    there are tools how to deescalate critical situations
    there is always a compromise
    you are always free to leave the scene
    aso (softskills can be trained- you may want to read about that)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

A world with all of societies preconceived visual biases removed is a better world. I've no apologies for where I spend most of my time. I don't want to be any bigger part of the real world than I'm forced to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Another thing which has began to annoy me - and do not take this the WRONG way people...is the lack of good roleplay around.

I am NOT saying that Istaria's roleplayers are bad in any way. Infact - I came here just to escape the garbage there is out there. You are all very accomplished. But this is literally my only sanctuary left. I remember at last 2-3 years ago I could find great roleplay abound! I would literally have problems keeping UP with roleplays due to their extreme content that I literally could not comprehend. Literally. I would have to shut off my MSN just to consentrait on reading a paragraph. I have been suggested to look for roleplay forums but I cannot find any alive.
    Some, myself included, think there is good roleplay currently on Order's shard. Some think it isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    And finally - a personal peeve, what can one do when they are angry? I have a bit of a problem...I am easily offended and sometimes a tad self-concious. I do my best to appear chipper and bright but I fear that I might accidetially offend one person - leading to everyone hating me. I suppose it is a bit of a fear...an irrational one. One cannot please everyone.

But what can one do to get over that? I sometimes find myself holding back insults, trying to be nice to people and they keep being stuburn and keep bothering OTHERS as a result.
    When someone is angry or feeling bad, whether the reason, we should just try to look soft, comprehensive, and to not make the person angrier or feeling worse than she is already, I think.
    Last edited by LungTien Temeraire; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

I am glad I found 3 special people that love role play as much as me, and thanks to a other nice friend we have now our little forum where we can role play, storytelling and other creative things at our hearts content.

As much as I enjoyed online-RP in the past, writing 5+ pages as reply to a forum post is more satisfying; than to hurry and type out a instant response to a live role play, where you can not think long enough for a satisfying reply. (And of course kill those evil Spelling and Grammar mistakes in time).

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

We can also do forum roleplay there, on this forum, like we did on "the war of the Fallen Son" thread:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=23768&page=7

I have no idea, yet, to launch a new thread like this, but if someone has, I look forward to take part of it. Everyone would be free to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    A world with all of societies preconceived visual biases removed is a better world. I've no apologies for where I spend most of my time. I don't want to be any bigger part of the real world than I'm forced to be.
    Amen to that times a million.
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

Pff, "no-life".. getting sick of that term, really
    Gaming has always been a big part of my life, online and offline alike. Besides Istaria, I have a nice set of videogame consoles next to my TV. I don't regret my hobby one bit, because really.. Videogames have always given me a lot more satisfaction than any book or movie could ever do to me. They let me dive into the story so much deeper.
    And I've never been much of an outgoing person. I enjoy spending some slow-paced quality time with a few selected friends, my family, or by myself.

Yet I've had people telling me the same thing - direct or indirect: "You don't have a life."
    Why is it so important for others to judge my use of free time? Personally I see no difference to those who go out on a bar every single weekend and get themselves drunk with their pals. I never understood the "goal" in it, yet do I ever tell them that they are wasting their life?
    People need to accept that we all just appreciate different things.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

I do believe that the remark “you have no life” is used way too often, I have always been a more solitary person… Computer games being my best friends from since I was about 10 years old years (zx spectrum with a freaking tape recorder… bleh) and apart of my girlfriend (now wife) who is now definitely no.1, my computer is still in 3rd place of favorite things in my life. However so far I never had my liking for computer games get in the way of any real life business I have. I need money to live my life so I would never allow my computer to get me to lose my job.

I think that people should definitely choose their own lives, only I hope that these same people are smart enough to not let their love for games… reading… excessive training in a gym, just to name 3 examples rule their lives so much that relationships with family, friends, school or work relationship suffer too much...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I wish I had less of a life so I could spend more time online.

I am frustrated at the moment because my RL is interferring.

Am I an addict?

I couldn't care less at the end of the day.

If I want to play a computer game I will will play a computer game if thats what I enjoy doing.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I'd love to know what exactly a "life" is to these people who say "You have no life".

A). They're playing the same MMORPG you are, if they say this to you in-game. Just because you're here and playing means that you have "no life" then I guess THEY don't have a "life" either.

B). What exactly is a "Life"?

As long as a person has a job, and pays their own bills, and they are happy with what they do, what more does one need?

I honestly don't understand this whole concept of people telling you how exactly you should live your life. As long as you're not a 40 year old mooching off of relatives, and not paying your own bills, whatever hobbies you choose to do while you're not working at your job IRL is purely one's own decision.

If I choose to spend the majority of my non-work, non-sleep time on the computer doing various things, that's my "life". Nobody else can choose it for me, only I have the right to choose what I spend my free time on.

Just because I don't do things like going out to bars, movies, etc, doesn't mean I don't have a "life".

I have a life, and I'm reasonably happy with it, the way it is. There are a few things... okay maybe there are more than a few things I'd like to change about it, but some of those things are just not feasible quite yet. But, reasonably, I enjoy my life all things considered.

If I enjoy my own life, then it is none of anyone else's business, plainly put. My life, my business, end of story.

Anyone who says "you have no life" to you, is sticking their nose somewhere it doesn't belong. It needs slapped/pinched/etc, so that they stop sticking their nose into your business.

There's no simpler way to put that, to be honest.

hehe! I often say I have no life. well you could say I didn`t when I was working a constant 6 days a week. XD but I know the feeling. so many say I have no life just cuz I hang out online. well when folks don`t understand is you DO have a life! you`re socializing online! that`s still hanging with friends, even if not in person, you`re still talking to them XD

As for RP on Order. yes it has declined or stooped down, but a few of us are trying to make better roleplays. many don`t like our styles cuz we enjoy adventure, which entails an evildoer, fights, ect... I know a few who left the game/server cuz all they liked is cuddling/snuggling. nothing wronge with light friendly RP, but sometimes you just need a break from the snuggles, and need a good adventure! I find the biggest challenge is keeping it all within the game`s own lore. I`ve been accused of Godmodding on several occasions so I tend to be more careful to what I have my character(s) do

I wish to thank everyone for their input - you have helped me a ton with your words...but some words of my own first –

To LungTien – I did not mention the Order Shard in particular, and if I am correct I was speaking about roleplay in general. Hell – I praised Istaria (And yes, Order in general) For being my last safe haven. Though I thank you for your input!

Darkwind Duck – We all make mistakes. I understand sometimes it’s best to take a break from things if they’re beginning to cause a little flaming. After all! Gives us time to break from the normal. Good input, your advice really helps.

Dhalin – A most true statement! Well spoken.

Chasing – Gaaah I should have thought of that earlier. IT is true..in the end I am enjoying myself.

Dragonboy - I wish I could relate. I do spend most of the day studying in order to actually get a good job…but lately it has begun to feel hard. I am learning - but the tests are so hard I can hardly keep up!

Salama – Oohh it has been a LONG time since I dusted off my PS2…even though they are hardly used anymore XD

Takora – I envy you. I rarely seem to make friends… I don’t know. People tend to find me VERY unlikable. But hey…I like this whole forum thing. I started off forum roleplaying and I do like it asmuch if not more then ingame roleplay
    Teteo – Trufax

LOVWYRM – Alas some people cannot comprehend this, simply having their 30 minute buzz…unless they are constantly like this. I do not go out for many reasons. Amongst which – many people around here are douchebags.

To me this statement is an oxymoron. Greanted it is implied to be short for 'you have no social life', but as far as I'm concerned a social life doesn't pay the bills.

I'm studying or in class for most of my day. That is my life. The rest of the time is spent online as my classmates live too far away to bother finding friends.

Deragatory term yes, but I really hate how enjoying games and online media has been painted in such a bad light.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    To me this statement is an oxymoron. Greanted it is implied to be short for 'you have no social life', but as far as I'm concerned a social life doesn't pay the bills.

I'm studying or in class for most of my day. That is my life. The rest of the time is spent online as my classmates live too far away to bother finding friends.

Deragatory term yes, but I really hate how enjoying games and online media has been painted in such a bad light.

Alas many people find it "Ultrah kewl"

In my opinion, those who say others are no-life, are themselves no-life. To all of those who get such things told to them, just don't take it seriously.

I suspect they mean that we have very little face-to-face social interactions with others. Perhaps as a result, they find we do not catch nuances of body language, vocal inflection and other such sight/sound dependent aspects of communication as well as other folks that they know do. Or maybe they're just jealous of the attention given online and want our attention for themselves.

Everyone has their own balance to find between online and afk time. Side note: sleep is not optional...

I've certainly heard that before, though fortunately in my case it's mostly been used jokingly. It's a silly thing to say to someone seriously, after all. But at any rate. Personally, I think that as long as they doesn't hurt anyone, people can do what they want. Though for health's sake, everything should be kept in moderation. I don't always do the best job of that myself, but I try. If I'm happy at the end of the day, I consider it a good day, and I don't really care what anyone else says or thinks about how I spend my time. It's not their business anyway, as long as I'm self-sufficient (or as self-sufficient as I can be, being a college student. I do have a job though!)

As for roleplay, I'm afraid I'm not really active on the forum scene anymore, so I can't give great advice there. I used to be co-admin for a Dragonriders of Pern forum, and we had a lot of fun there, but it's been inactive for some time. Have you ever looked into one on ones, though? I'm in a really great one right now, and I know there are a lot of great roleplayers out there who do them. You do have to weed through the not-so-good ones to find them sometimes, though.

Don't worry so much about everyone hating you; Order seems pretty friendly for the most part. I don't think you should have to stay quiet if someone offends you, though; if you have an issue with someone or get offended, I'd suggest you just try talking to them about it in a reasonable manner? A lot of the time it's just a miscommunication. Either way, as long as you don't fly off the handle at someone I don't see why anyone would dislike you. You seem pretty cool to me, anyway. =3

That being said, I'd be happy to rp with you sometime if you're looking for a roleplay. =D I play Shikai, Corva, and Rikale, so feel free to bug me if you see any of those names around.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i really do have no life, so i just assume that everyone else must.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information