Thread: Ascii Game Engine

Default Ascii Game Engine

I've not been around a whole lot the past few months, so I figured I'd finally post a good portion of why I wasn't. I know there's probably a select few that would even care or be interested, but I feel like I should post -something- that's not at odds with the devs. x3

Starting at around early September I began working on a library to allow easy use of the windows console operations. Such as setting cursor coordinates, text color, etc. This project wound up growing into me building an engine for an ASCII based game on the windows console. The first workable version of the engine was finished around December. I spent another month working on a (very) basic game to put the engine through its paces.

I never wound up finishing it, as it's only 2 maps long, of the 'planned' 9 maps. But the ultimate goal was the engine, not the game. I'm not much working on the engine, either, as it just became a great project to learn with more than anything.

Anyway, if any of you are interested in seeing the small bit of the game or seeing the windows console running in a way it never usually runs (Such as location specific, intelligent word wrapping), here is a link courtesy of Raptress: http://www.draggystyle.com/AGL_Game_One_Release.zip

Playing the game:
    You should just need to unzip it and run the EXE. It doesn't install anything. Use the arrow keys to move around. Press Enter at any time to enter the command line. Type the commands you see in the menu (Except for Inventory), followed by a comma and direction you wish to issue that command in. (It's north, east, south, west)
    Example: Look, North
    Example: look, n

To open your inventory, just enter Inv.

It's fairly well debugged (However not very well error-coded), though I'm sure more bugs can be found.
    One more note: The game will need to copy the map files from ..\Maps\Reference Maps to ..\Maps so if the game fails to run, then perhaps some security setting is preventing this copy.

Also, this is heavily dependent on Windows libraries, so it will not work outside of Windows.

Anyway, feel free to ask whatever questions about the game or engine you like, and thanks for reading.

Default Re: Ascii Game Engine

This sounds almost like a Nethack/Angband type game, almost.

Ever heard of those?

Did you get your inspiration from those?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    This sounds almost like a Nethack/Angband type game, almost.

Ever heard of those?

Did you get your inspiration from those?

Just curious.
    Yes. The game type that I got my inspiration from is typically called a 'Rogue-like'. :3
    Last edited by Akrion; February 26th, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: lulzgrammar

Yeah, "Rogue-like" ... I couldn't remember the 'official' name for those style games.

I used to play a self-modified version of ZAngband (I removed the ridiculous mass-multiplying enemies, for instance) myself.

I knew just enough C++ to know how to find the code that causes them to multiply and get rid of it. Also, those stupid half-gold traps too.

Thread Information