Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Default Re: I rant about...well, pretty much everything.

Not exactly Lung- will talk to you ingame then. But thy for first step:-)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Sorry for not having fully understood, then... but you can post your thoughs, yourself, you know
    There are several sites to translate words and short sentences on Internet, like Reverso and Google Translator... though they aren't as good for longer sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    Sorry for not having fully understood, then... but you can post your thoughs, yourself, you know
    Yeah, I think such discussions should be made in the thread about Lung's RP guide and not in private, as everyone should be able to have a say in said addition/change. Or, at the very least, the additions/changes that are made in private should be noted as being discussed in private so people can discuss it in the thread.

Default Hmmm

I must agree with you Fix that if something is done in a Public RP then it is open to the Public to be joined and altered. If not then they should take it to a private channel and do it there obviously.

I find there are some spells that seem to be missing. I think having to QUEST for a BOLT spell is a bit inane especially with the level required and the fact that Spirit/Blood Bolt are stronger and Energy Bolt is more useful. I also think Dragon Spells need a visual upgrade because the red ring thing is pretty lame like it was meant as a place holder for real graphics.

I also find speaking for others to be an issue. You can only speak for yourself. You cannot know for certain how others feel about things.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Default Re: Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    I must agree with you Fix that if something is done in a Public RP then it is open to the Public to be joined and altered. If not then they should take it to a private channel and do it there obviously.

I find there are some spells that seem to be missing. I think having to QUEST for a BOLT spell is a bit inane especially with the level required and the fact that Spirit/Blood Bolt are stronger and Energy Bolt is more useful. I also think Dragon Spells need a visual upgrade because the red ring thing is pretty lame like it was meant as a place holder for real graphics.

I also find speaking for others to be an issue. You can only speak for yourself. You cannot know for certain how others feel about things.
    I think that is the point of opening a public thread

Though...it is everyone's opinion in the end. Aslong as RPs are public, people are open to voice their opinion. Though one is free to dismiss it.

Like me! I personally want to make a giant robot made out of super-mecha-gnomes.
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Default Hey Fix

You were hinting at something about Private RP's in your Overpowered thread. I assume you did not want to get into a rant on it there for topic stability. What do you find problematic about them? (Not the ones that are done in Public but the honest to goodness private ones in private channels.)

Default Re: Hmmm

Communication excists for such

Personally, I think too many people are taking the entire 'this should be private lets take this elsewhere' thing far too much. I mean, I'm all for private roleplay, I've done a storyline or two like that but...what is the point PLAYING if that's all you do? I understand you have fun with people when you private RP but...I'm rather sure there's a community for PUBLIC roleplays. If you feel like sticking to private, get off the game and go on a messanging system or emails.

PERSONALLY, I expect people whom are in a community to at least indulge themselves in it. That's just my opinion.

Default Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Communication excists for such

Personally, I think too many people are taking the entire 'this should be private lets take this elsewhere' thing far too much. I mean, I'm all for private roleplay, I've done a storyline or two like that but...what is the point PLAYING if that's all you do? I understand you have fun with people when you private RP but...I'm rather sure there's a community for PUBLIC roleplays. If you feel like sticking to private, get off the game and go on a messanging system or emails.

PERSONALLY, I expect people whom are in a community to at least indulge themselves in it. That's just my opinion.
    If you are not wanted in that community or do not want to be part of the direction it is headed then it is up to you to be the bigger person and leave it. Would you rather see A) People fighting in the community constantly or B) Less community activity in general?

I would rather go with B myself which is why I am largely dropping out of the community. I will contribute via my Lair and otherwise just go on play testing various aspects of the game almost as if I were on Chaos or Blight.

Also we do like to physically be together In-Game at times. Zarla has cuddled with Romi, her sister, or Hatchies in person. Shinkuu and Shadina had quite the little party thanks to Niv on Shadina's old plot which was all for decoration and RP. Now Shadina's plot has been demolished and is just dirt because we used it far too infrequently. Shinkuu's plot remains until we open up more of Zarla's Lair but I suspect we will eventually ditch it as well thanks to the insanity of Biped Plot Building.

The community was SUPPOSED to get together and make towns in this world and work together but, between the low number of people on Order and the fact that there is a Bimodal distribution of people with the vast majority either at T1-2 or at T6 in their level, that ends up being just a pipe dream. Even when we were avidly hunting I saw people in the field maybe once a month and never for more than a few seconds as they went somewhere. While harvesting resources I see people doing the same once in a Blue Moon and they never speak.

Default Re: Not so much

If you are not wanted in that community or do not want to be part of the direction it is headed then it is up to you to be the bigger person and leave it. Would you rather see A) People fighting in the community constantly or B) Less community activity in general?

I would rather go with B myself which is why I am largely dropping out of the community. I will contribute via my Lair and otherwise just go on play testing various aspects of the game almost as if I were on Chaos or Blight.

Also we do like to physically be together In-Game at times. Zarla has cuddled with Romi, her sister, or Hatchies in person. Shinkuu and Shadina had quite the little party thanks to Niv on Shadina's old plot which was all for decoration and RP. Now Shadina's plot has been demolished and is just dirt because we used it far too infrequently. Shinkuu's plot remains until we open up more of Zarla's Lair but I suspect we will eventually ditch it as well thanks to the insanity of Biped Plot Building.

The community was SUPPOSED to get together and make towns in this world and work together but, between the low number of people on Order and the fact that there is a Bimodal distribution of people with the vast majority either at T1-2 or at T6 in their level, that ends up being just a pipe dream. Even when we were avidly hunting I saw people in the field maybe once a month and never for more than a few seconds as they went somewhere. While harvesting resources I see people doing the same once in a Blue Moon and they never speak.
    A tad...overly aggressive, don't you think?

By community do you mean everyone as a hole? Because that depends. There are always people we enjoy hanging around in communities, and people we do not.

Physically be together in the game is also something I want to see return! I love that! Admittedly I would much prefare that over using chat channels.

As for your last comment...

That is strangely true. Things do feel rather dead. But somehow...do not ask me how...I hope to change that :/ I'm sure we would all like to go back to the old days.

A tad...overly aggressive, don't you think?

By community do you mean everyone as a hole? Because that depends. There are always people we enjoy hanging around in communities, and people we do not.

Physically be together in the game is also something I want to see return! I love that! Admittedly I would much prefare that over using chat channels.

As for your last comment...

That is strangely true. Things do feel rather dead. But somehow...do not ask me how...I hope to change that :/ I'm sure we would all like to go back to the old days.
    *Shrugs* Staying for the fight would be overly aggressive.

By community I do mean everyone as a whole yes.

FOr me I enjoy the combination of both of what you guys are talking about..

I've had "private" RPs usually involving one or two characters (wether together in person in game or not) where we're really boring into personal charcter development. Stuff that the character wouldn't be discussing in public, because just like IRL there are certain conversations you have in private about your "deep issues" or whatever .

I've also had the "not private but not entirely public" chatrooms where they are setup for RP and anyone could enter, but the vast majority of visitors were regulars so while anyoen could have come in and RPed and we would have made room - at the same time plotlines were going on and such things were being developed that weren't enitirely just "open for anyone doing anything because we're getting through a plot." These were public rooms setup by a guild or a RP group, but anyone could join.

And then I also like to have the "I'm sitting in /say or in dragon chat or in genearl RP and just talk with whomever walks into the "setting".

So it was never that I involve myself in One OR the other - but rather I like to have public RP going even if I"m also in a private RP elsewhere. I just like the vareity.

Esp. since people can, and do, drop off on a dime in MMORPGs and so I've just found that if Il imited myself too much to closed off/private RP eventually I am just left alone as everyone else moves on, and I tend not to.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Default Aaah

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Esp. since people can, and do, drop off on a dime in MMORPGs and so I've just found that if Il imited myself too much to closed off/private RP eventually I am just left alone as everyone else moves on, and I tend not to.
    Luckily for me, I have an IRL mate who I RP with frequently. So if everyone else leaves entirely I just RP with her and do not really have such a need for many open doors. However, not so many are that fortunate.

One of the best things about a fully Private RP is that instead of the Public Soap Opera Drama where nothing really changes for the most part and you can come back months later and nothing really noteworthy has taken place (because it is resistant to change.); you can see plot lines to their conclusions. You can create NPC villains to defeat, heroes to aid you or even die trying, innocent bystanders to be saved or destroyed etc... You can offer various rewards for a Job well done in a Private RP. The Gods do not have to be dead in a Private RP because unlike in Public where Animating them for various important scenes is obviously and appropriately Taboo in Private RP it is fine to use them as the Plot Devices they are.

Only the blood flow issue is really a problem with Private RP's. Like you mention where eventually the player base leaves and that is not restricted to MMO's by any stretch. However, you find new blood and pull them in if you wish to continue such things.

Default Re: Hey Fix

You were hinting at something about Private RP's in your Overpowered thread. I assume you did not want to get into a rant on it there for topic stability. What do you find problematic about them? (Not the ones that are done in Public but the honest to goodness private ones in private channels.)
    Do you want the selfish answer?

I don't get into them!

Yes. That is why. I'm serious. I hate private roleplays because I can never GET in them. Why? Becuase there's no RP hook! I can't join in because players are sealing others off unless they're megabuddies.

Others feel the same way!

Personally - I am not a very open person, I admit. I love listening to others, I love giving my feedback, but sometimes I come across as a rude and brash arse. The few that do take their time to know me have actually grown attached to me, but they do not host private roleplays, have left, or are RARELY online.

I personally WANT to get into more private roleplays, but I have no ways of getting into them.

I personally agree on something you said, that Public Roleplay has begun getting...very stupid, but this saddens me!

I came back to Istaria to involve myself with mature, viable roleplayers and I end up being stuck with a bunch of people who randomly summon GAMORA into a roleplay.

I'm sorry but, that is my problem. It is very annoying. And I'm rather sad about it.

I'm sorry but not everyone has the perfect person in their life to cling to and RP with constantly. Some of us would like some variety rather then the same person. And while I would not mind starting long-term roleplays with someone, I would like more then one person to roleplay with.

I came back to Istaria to involve myself with mature, viable roleplayers and I end up being stuck with a bunch of people who randomly summon GAMORA into a roleplay.
    If I might be allowed to say so, I think you might be making a bigger deal of it than it actually is. It's not a "bunch" of people "randomly summoning Gamera into a roleplay." It's one person who chooses to play that thing. x3 And a lot of the people I talk to are avoiding RPing with the rocket turtle.

The majority of people I've run into the past while are fairly mature RPers whose characters at least mostly make sense.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    If I might be allowed to say so, I think you might be making a bigger deal of it than it actually is. It's not a "bunch" of people "randomly summoning Gamera into a roleplay." It's one person who chooses to play that thing. x3 And a lot of the people I talk to are avoiding RPing with the rocket turtle.

The majority of people I've run into the past while are fairly mature RPers whose characters at least mostly make sense.
    Silly rabbit. I'm not accusing everyone of being a bad roleplayer.

I just find things like this happening rather jarring.

Silly rabbit. I'm not accusing everyone of being a bad roleplayer.

I just find things like this happening rather jarring.
    I know you're not accusing everyone, it's just that the way you describe things has the general tone that it happens absolutely everywhere and that it's inescapable. That might just be my interpretation, but it does come off that way to me.

For the record, I found the Gamera-thing very jarring as well. xD

You can create NPC villains to defeat, heroes to aid you or even die trying, innocent bystanders to be saved or destroyed etc... You can offer various rewards for a Job well done in a Private RP. The Gods do not have to be dead in a Private RP because unlike in Public where Animating them for various important scenes is obviously and appropriately Taboo in Private RP it is fine to use them as the Plot Devices they are.
    Yea I get what you are saying. Its why I actually prefer the "public rp in a private room" like I described above, where anyone can join but its not the regular public channels. Places like KCERoleplay when we had it and "YE Olde Pub and such when it was active allowed you to create what you described above, because it tended to be a relatively "constant" Group of RPers and people really worked their plots - but it was less subject to the "falling off" because it WAS an open room so that we would stil get players in from time to time who stuck around, saw what it was everyoen was doing, and picked up their own RP and stories and got invovled in others. So it suffered a bit less from the "no new blood" and nevert had to worry about "nothing changes/grows/no real plots."

It also solves the problem FIX was having (and FIx I have that same issue with truly private RPs) in that you don't need to be invited or have a hook. The room is public and anyone can come in at any time - observre the RP and jump themselves in. THe RPers in the room "make room" for anyone who just "Jumps in" and they are included automatically if they are chatting (I.e. not just observing, which was also allowed and welcomed).

So you don't feel like you're crashing into someone's "Closed group" RP (that's what I call the really private - invite only type RP) becuase the setting is one in which anyone can enter. (But could still be changed if the RP of the night required a change of setting).

I find that is my preferred "this is going ot keep me logging in regularly" type RP. Unfortunately its not perfect, so when our guild fell apart during the "dark years" the KCERoleplay fell dead. And when oocdramas came between several of the "Core members" of the Ye Olde Pub (members who had to be in the spotlight at all times phenom..ugg) then it broke the whole channel apart and it never recovered .

So that crap stuff still happens, but its still my preferred style lol.

Asfor Gamora - ROFL - Frith hasn't RPed with someone whom she saw as abolsutely looney in while...lol. Heck I'm not even familiar with wth a Gamora would be anyway. Frith woudl totally think such a charater needed to be committed...lol .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Heck I'm not even familiar with wth a Gamora would be anyway.
    I'm not surprised. I consider the fact that I know to be a massive amount of nerdery on my part. The Gamera franchise is a series of kaiju movies (that is.. giant monster movies) created after the Godzilla franchise started finding success, so one could say that Gamera is basically what Godzilla would have been had he started off as a turtle.

I am not sure, but there is a giant turtle with a sort of litle isle on the top of the shell, including a tree, in Zelda games. I'm not sure if it comes from there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    I am not sure, but there is a giant turtle with a sort of litle isle on the top of the shell, including a tree, in Zelda games. I'm not sure if it comes from there, though.
    I am 100% sure that the rocket turtle being RPed is the Gamera from kaiju movies. I'd be 100% sure of this even if the person playing it hadn't said so, because the abilities it displays are pretty much word-for-word the same as the ones described on Wikipedia for the kaiju, Gamera.

Thread Information