Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revival of Istaria

Exclamation Revival of Istaria

Have you helped Istaria today? It's a question we should be asking ourselves if we want Istaria to grow into the future. The larger the player base, the more potential income there is to allow the faces behind Istaria to grow and better develop the game. Common sense, right? It's time to ask yourself what you can do to help spread the word about Istaria.

Need some ideas to get you started?

-Facebook: While Istaria has it's own facebook fan page, drop some advertisements of your own in your own facebook pages and share with others.

-MySpace: Like Facebook, advertise! Post pictures, write blurbs, and share!

-Twitter: Tweet about Istaria! Just finish your RoP? Maybe you just hit level 100? Tweet about your successes.

-YouTube: Show everyone some Istaria demos!

-DeviantArt: Can you draw? Draw some things Istarian related. Can't draw? Do a screenshot dump! What a better way to show Istaria off than to show others just what it looks like. No drawing skills necessary!

-Gaming Sites: Drop the Istaria advertisements in every gaming website you can find. Put it in your forum signatures where you can!

-Dragon/Furry/Fandom websites: While some of us may cringe at the thought of doing this, often times, websites that focus on these genres always have members who are looking for a game just like Istaria. Let them know about it!

-Istaria Fansites: Some of us are website developers, or maybe know a thing or two about it. Whatever your level of expertise, build/design a website to showcase Istaria. Maybe you can be a screenshot hub, or an up-to-date help guide, or maybe even a lore Chronicler. Whatever you choose to focus on, go for it!

So, we've got a range of ways to advertise, from a few sentences to large projects. Be active and let's help make Istaria grow!

Don't forget about this, offered by Istaria, as a way of thanking paid land holders for advertising. I keep hoping for incentives for other account types, but just keeping Istaria alive is a good enough incentive in my book.

Do your part to help!

Default Re: Revival of Istaria

hehe! I got 2 Deviantart accounts, and recently I started adding in the homepage link to Istaria in all my screenies
    hoping to try to attract more folks into playing, even talked my cousin, and BFF into comming to Istaria
    you can check out mah screenies, and Istaria art here

http://ReagleFlamespray.deviantart.com/
    and
    http://DWMerduck.deviantart.com/

also I`m part of the Istaria club on Facebook

I always promote Istaria on forums when applicable.

The problem is that most players who would be interested in an old school semi hardcore MMOG with fantastic crafting, are not excited about starting on a seven year old server, where everything has been accomplished endless times, and the economy is unhealthy both because of a lack of players, and as a result, an abundance of items being sold below their realistic value.

There is only one way for Istaria to grow, and that is a relaunch of some kind.
    A single new server for the current state of the game, which did not allow transfers in order to preserve a new beginning, would appeal to many gamers, and with sufficient advance advertising should attract a healthy audience.

Most gamers want the possibility to accomplish something first or at least be among the few who solve a quest first, earn an item first, reach a level first, craft an item first, explore an area first, etc.

The other option is a complete overhaul of the current game including an update of graphics which we all have been told is something Virtrium cannot afford. Even if they did this it would require a fresh server to attract players.

There are still plenty of people out there who would be interested in Istaria regardless of it's age, graphics, etc...We just need people willing to take 2 seconds out of their day to advertise it. Drive more people here now so we can hope for a better Istaria in the future. Can do attitudes go a long way, and right now with the user base so small, it's understandable that the V. Team can't afford to give the game an overhaul. It's just not feasible.

So, for now, we all make due and do our part to see to it that 5 years down the road Istaria is still alive and thriving and better than ever. Pessimism aside, we can all make a difference if we simply try. One user gained in the game is still a victory!

great posts, Reckless. Thank you!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

hey reckless, I got us mentioned on massively again.

BTW I couldn't get the "this" link from your first post to work. It might be the computer I am using, could you please paraphrase for me what it said?

Joemarra:
    It's from the front of the community.istaria.com page under the link "Spread The Word" on the right side. It gives instructions on how to obtain a free additional plot if you are a paid gifted member. There's too much information on that page for me to post really, but in order to qualify, you have to at least meet the following requirements:

Videos - 4 video entries per month
    Blogs - 4 blog entries per month
    Posts - 8 posts per month
    Screen Shots - 8 screen shots per month

Make sure that you follow the other instructions on the page to be awarded the free additional plot.

Actually, I guess I will post it. It's long so beware!

The people behind the Empire have been talking recently about a way to get the word out about Istaria. We've also heard members of the community talk about how difficult it is many times to find someone to help with a quest or to group with to take on a particularly difficult monster . Listening to these very valid concerns made us all realize that we have a common goal here... We need to get the word out about what a great place Istaria is for fantasy gaming! And with the real world economy being what it is, we know that there are many of you who would love to have a second plot but can't afford the additional cost. So we thought, "What if we help those who help us by launching a grassroots campaign using the very people who know the world of Istaria best?"

So here's our plan.

We're put together a "Spread the Word" program that will let anyone who gets the word out about Istaria on a regular basis to receive a FREE additional plot slot with their paid Gifted subscription. Every time you share what you did in Istaria on YouTube, Blogspot, LiveJournal, FaceBook, a game forum, or another public web site, you could be on your way to an additional plot slot! Read below for full details.

Qualifying Entries
    We've tried to make this is broad as possible. We know that not everyone is a word smith, so video and screen shot entries are also valid. Any of the following qualify:
    Videos - YouTube, Flickr, etc
    Blogs - BlogSpot, LiveJournal, etc.
    Posts - Any forum (game or unrelated), MySpace, Facebook, etc.
    Game Review - Any site with specific review section
    Screen Shots - Deviant Art, Regular MMO News Sites, etc.
    Content format
    Video: You can can make a short story using Istaria video as cuts between written segments, or just have a video of something you think is cool. Your video must show off Istaria or show off a particular aspect of game play. Please make sure to properly define and attach keywords to your video (istaria, dragon, crafting, gnome, etc.)
    Blogs: You can write a story, commentary, critical discussion, or any other format that is comfortable.
    Posts: You can have a short description of an Istaria news item and then a link to a news article, or write a few sentences about the game.
    Screen Shots: Your screen shots should have a short description of what is happening in them and be clearly marked as relating to Istaria.
    Stories - Short stories also count if they are clearly set in the world of Istaria

Details
    In order to qualify for a free plot slot, you must maintain one Gifted subscription. Multiple subscriptions does not equal multiple additional plot slots.
    Qualifying submissions must be on websites accessible to the general public without requiring registration or pre-approval to be read.
    For example, if you are blogging about Istaria, your profile must be open to the general public, not set to "Friend Only" in order to qualify.
    Websites which require one to register to read do not qualify (sites that require you to register in order to post are fine).
    Websites do not have to be in English - any language is acceptable so long as we can clearly tell that what is being talked about is related to Istaria.
    Content details related to Istaria:
    Your blog or post does not need to be dedicated to Istaria - you just have to talk about Istaria in the entries you submit.
    This program is about spreading the word about Istaria in a positive manner. We're not saying everything has to be rosy, but if you're blogging about how much you hate Istaria, those are not going to qualify. Alternatively, a constructive discussion of what's not right about crafting, monsters, story or what ever else has got you annoyed is completely acceptable.
    It must be clear that what ever you place on the internet is a reference to Istaria. As a minimum, mentioning the word Istaria. Blogs about Istaria should have keyword "tags" associated with them such as "dragon", "MMORPG", "roleplaying", "online game", etc that will help those searching for a game to try to find your blog.

Ideas and Examples
    If you're interested in getting involved, but unsure if you could really have enough to blog about, remember that a post doesn't have to get into great detail. If you play Istaria, chances are your friends would be interested in playing - or at least interested in what you're doing in Istaria. Web sites such as MySpace and Facebook, or any other public place are acceptable to post about:
    your triumph over the Myloc Queen
    a note and link the latest Istaria news or release notes
    how you completed your guild house
    You can take video of completing your guild house or even video of constructing your house. Another option would be to write a short story and then act out the segments in Istaria - alternate your video with text and video.
    If the idea of a blog seems a bit too personal, but you are interested in writing sections of a fantasy story each week related to Istaria, this works too. Just remember you need to post it somewhere that the general public can gain access.

Requirements * Note: All blogs, videos and screenshots must include a link to www.istaria.com in the actual entry. Forum posts where the posting rules prevent adding links to other websites will not require such a link.
    Videos - 4 video entries per month
    Blogs - 4 blog entries per month
    Posts - 8 posts per month
    Screen Shots - 8 screen shots per month

For both Facebook and Myspace entries, you must add yourself as a fan for Istaria and befriend me (Amarie). For Facebook in particular, you must post your entries on our Fan Site page, not just your own profile, and you must be an official fan of Istaria. If you're having difficulty finding the right profile, the following links should help:
    Facebook Istaria Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5437612&ref=mf
    Facebook Fan Site: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Istari...d/257436935789
    Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1232235739
    MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/istariacommunity
    If you belong to a different social networking website and feel that Istaria and I should have a presence there as well, please submit a support ticket so we can consider that site as well.

Invalid Entries
    Please note we're not going to be draconian with checking entries - but want to make it clear that a lack of effort doesn't promote Istaria very well and trivializes the effort that other people will put into their submissions.
    Anything you do must not be out of context - replying to someone's post and dropping the word Istaria is not appropriate. If you're genuine, then we want to encourage that, but shill posts are counter productive to what we're trying to do.
    Entries without any effort - a video of you running around playing for 5 minutes doesn't count, and likewise a post that "Istaria r0ck5" won't cut it either (but we appreciate that you like Istaria).

Your Plot Slot
    At the end of the month, submit a support ticket through https://support.istaria.com with links to the posts, blogs, forums, etc. that you did during the month. Someone from the support team with have a quick look and add a plot slot to your account if you qualify. Keep in mind that you will need to submit an support ticket each month with new links to renew your plot slot.

Those who work to keep readers of gaming related websites and forums up to date with news about Istaria are just as important in getting the word out. If you have had a review of Istaria posted, or are willing to write a review to submit to an MMO related website, please contact us immediately. For anyone who is interested in being an "Istaria correspondent" with one of the major MMO websites, please contact me as well.

As always, if you have questions, please feel free to submit a request for information through https://support.istaria.com and submit your questions to Community Relations.

Yours in Istaria,

Amarie Ancalimon
    Istaria Community Manager

*Derail*

What do myself and Dakoren get for hosting an entire website dedicated to Istaria :P

I don't really want a free account, how about an "Emblem: Expert Gnomehunter" :P

*End of Derail*
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

(You deserve more than an emblem! But an emblem at least!
    Your webside is indispensible, so are your daily efforts for he game.

Can`t say THANK YOU often enough )
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Actually, I guess I will post it. It's long so beware!
    Thanks, I guess my only question now is how i would go about claiming that. This is now the third article I have gotten massively to write about the game in less than 3 months (2 live update articles and the developer's desk article)

Quote Originally Posted by joemarra052075 View Post
    Thanks, I guess my only question now is how i would go about claiming that. This is now the third article I have gotten massively to write about the game in less than 3 months (2 live update articles and the developer's desk article)
    File a support ticket under Community Relations - General with the title "Spread the Word program" and they will advise you whether you meet criteria and how much of a reward they give for it. More details at https://docs.google.com/View?id=df7564p7_1g7d895gc.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    File a support ticket under Community Relations - General with the title "Spread the Word program" and they will advise you whether you meet criteria and how much of a reward they give for it. More details at https://docs.google.com/View?id=df7564p7_1g7d895gc.
    thank you awdz

I believe I've brought in a lot of traffic through my deviantart postings, especially from the dragon crowd.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

A big thank you to those of you who are already doing your part, just keep it up. Help nudge your fellow Istarians into action as well so we can get this thing rolling.

If anyone were so inclined to do so, buttons, banners, adoptables, etc..might be a nice thing to have to put in our signatures or sites to advertise Istaria. I realize there's already a handful out there already, but the more the merrier.

Also, if anyone else has any ideas to help spread the word, by all means, let us know!

Dunno about spreading the word or a "revival of the game", but I was pondering on coming back and playing some myself.

I've been maintaining two subs, but I haven't logged in, in like 3 months, 'cept for a couple minutes today.

Been pondering on working my biped again, but I just remembered why I quit on her: It was taking her too long to kill stuff, and was trying to find a way I could level at a reasonable pace, but yet not be too squishy.

I wanted to take her Cleric to 80+ for Gift V spells. But yet, it takes too long to kill crap as a cleric. Healer gets good Augmentation skills, but kill speed would be even worse, surely. And they only get 9 armor use, not 10 (which means I won't be able to wear Mithril Platemail) so I gotta level Warrior... which turns out to be quite a squishy class, only having 2 heals.

So.... meh.

Not sure what I'd really do if I did log in. Farming trophies with my dragon just doesn't sound too appetizing to me...

What doesn't appeal to you though Dhalin might just appeal to someone else. Everyone plays the game different, and that's the same for any game you come across.

That aside, like I mentioned, simply posting one line of text somewhere on some random site you visit can prick someone's interests. I challenge everyone to at -least- do that. It's that "meh" attitude that allows games to die or not become something greater. I know we all play on other websites, so if they allow it, say something about Istaria!
    Last edited by Reckless; March 5th, 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Submitted too quickly. Blargh.

What doesn't appeal to you though Dhalin might just appeal to someone else. Everyone plays the game different, and that's the same for any game you come across.
    Don't get me wrong, I *want* to enjoy Istaria (why do you think I paid 2 subs over 3+ months without logging in once?), it is just...

I'm looking at it, trying to think of something I want to do / something I can have fun doing, and I'm drawing a blank.

I suppose I was more relating to my own attempts at "Istaria Revival" within myself, instead of on websites, I suppose.

I have a simular problem, while I like the game... It is impossible for me to keep playing it day in day out without developing an intense annoyance/boredom/insert negative emotion in the end, which drives me away for months at the time. Lately I havent done anything else then sit on Bristugo vault for whole evenings and just do other things online and from time to time read the chats in the various channels I visit. My last break drove me away for 3-4 months... And paying for 3 subs constantly is a must considering I have 3 lairs. (btw Also have this problem with single player games, which I can play for months at the time and then all of a sudden drop it in a dark corner for 6 months and then re-install it with the same feeling as when I bought it and installed it the first time).

I actually got 1 person in the distant past to play Istaria... After WoW went online she was gone and still plays it. However I have spoken to some people about Istaria, most have no idea what it is and when I tell and show them they say... "Those graphics are bad"... That makes me a bit sad considering there are plenty of MMO's with worse graphics...

One positive note... Atleast the trial we have at Istaria is everlasting for a Human or 2 weeks for any other race. Recently tried STO which actually took me 12-13 hours to download at a staggering 80-200 kb/s (very unstable download speed, guess the average was 100-120 kb/s) and the total ingame time you have to determine if the game is fun is 2 hours, 3 hours max considering it is only a tutorial composed of 2 missions (killing some Borg and killing some pirates)after that you are not forced to pay a subscription, but without it you can only visit Sol System or some "highway to many systems" area, but when you want to visit a different system you get a whine you need a sub. Plus the whole tutorial was not really good… Got a mission that only said “Hail Starfleet”, It took me half an hour and going through all the screens to locate a button for that, little did I know the button was also attached to the mini-map… GRRR!!
    Last edited by Dragonboy; March 6th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Unfortunately, boredom and repetition affects us all at some point in any game you play. It's just something you have to deal with from time to time. During these lulls, you should help build/craft for others to accomplish a project, or perhaps go find some unfinished quests to do? You could always RP or go on hunts? Instead of demanding Istaria to entertain you 24/7, find ways to entertain yourself in game. Same concept applies to real life. At the same time, the devs are obviously working to add new content to the game with a lot in store in the coming months as stated in their forum posts lately.

And not to be rude, but this topic was meant for finding ways to throw Istaria's name out there in a good way and to encourage people to help Istaria grow. Not really an appropriate location for rants on why you don't like Istaria if you know what I mean.

Thread Information