Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Overpowered Characters

Default Re: Overpowered Characters

hey me too guys..me too. I miss all of mine.

And at least two of them were destroyed by exactly what was above, a couple of players who insisted on being center stage and when others of us tried to have our own plots, went off by themselves and drama ensued and thus the groups fell apart.

*sniffs* I miss them all...

Gah I gotta get a set Hz time setup...lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    I miss some RPers too...
    Not that it could be replaced, but I'd encourage to try and make a new and fresh one.
    *Pet pet*

There will be others...

you too Frith-Rae >:
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    hey me too guys..me too. I miss all of mine.

And at least two of them were destroyed by exactly what was above, a couple of players who insisted on being center stage and when others of us tried to have our own plots, went off by themselves and drama ensued and thus the groups fell apart.

*sniffs* I miss them all...

Gah I gotta get a set Hz time setup...lol.
    Clan Azuranous for the most part just kinda faded away due to a series of relatively unrelated events over a few months. Hrajiel, Vhazshyn, Hraefn, Veya, Xeffer, DharSii, Silithus, Slee, Sigvard, and Nambroth all who used to be on most every day have now either quit or can't/don't spend much time on the game anymore for various reasons. Off the top of my head there were about 23 active characters among them all, every one of which were involved in some form of RP with the other. xD Nambroth and Slee I believe are the only ones in that list who still noticeably log on, and it's not very frequent, so pretty much every active RP that Clan Azuranous had are indefinitely on hold. They also had a number of RPs that branched out to characters like Tsargoth, SSiscor, Kandrin, Sereamha, Iyrevi, Amethyr, and DC as a whole. You pretty much couldn't not find RP of whatever style to join in on.

I personally just can't seem to get myself back into RP. I've tried to on a number of occasions, but ultimately I've been struggling to stick with it. It's just gotten too depressingly quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Clan Azuranous for the most part just kinda faded away due to a series of relatively unrelated events over a few months. Hrajiel, Vhazshyn, Hraefn, Veya, Xeffer, DharSii, Silithus, Slee, Sigvard, and Nambroth all who used to be on most every day have now either quit or can't/don't spend much time on the game anymore for various reasons. Off the top of my head there were about 23 active characters among them all, every one of which were involved in some form of RP with the other. xD Nambroth and Slee I believe are the only ones in that list who still noticeably log on, and it's not very frequent, so pretty much every active RP that Clan Azuranous had are indefinitely on hold. They also had a number of RPs that branched out to characters like Tsargoth, SSiscor, Kandrin, Sereamha, Iyrevi, Amethyr, and DC as a whole. You pretty much couldn't not find RP of whatever style to join in on.

I personally just can't seem to get myself back into RP. I've tried to on a number of occasions, but ultimately I've been struggling to stick with it. It's just gotten too depressingly quiet.
    Just you wait...

For on the 6th. SOMEONE SHALL RETURN!

*lollightning*

As far as 1 shotting a biped that is true in only some cases depending a bit on the type of armor the biped is wearing aka cloth or plate mail, when i was doing some testing of things in the arena even sitting down to give the dragon a high chance of connecting with a GR it did not come close to 1 shotting me so biped/gifted armor is better than the undead types

For combat to me, I hold the idea of magic hurts and if you get caught in a rockslide you are probably dead from being flattened... nothing like "I have 999 armor and 3000 dex so I jump out of the rocks and nothing hurts me!". I place the results of my throws to you in YOUR hands. You decide what happens.

To OP: I do have a powerful character who is pretty fun when I take her out, but I do reckognise the nature of the power being there. Would you say such power is made even through placing equally heavy restrictions on the character? Balance I would think is important.

Lets see here... the basic power while very simple has huge OP stuff that can happen attached to it. Simply, one who speaks to nature (natural and elemental spirits, living souls, things like that). So to summarize gains vs drawbacks (Yes, if you play on order you've probably got an idea of what character is it):

Gains:
    - Nature is a good teacher of things nobody knows. She has gained a timberwolf form to travel in much like dragons have khutit form... its energy consuming and takes a long time to shift with meditation both ways, but its there.
    - Spirits speak to each other and unlike kids playing telephone, they never change the information they want to share. I, in character, can talk about events I may have seen or heard about elsewhere as if she knew about them already. This has a downside: the player isn't psychic... lots of ooc talking sometimes.
    - Can call for help... where elementals appear. Could be one... but this also means it could be an army as well. This is a potential OP problem... one enemy may have issues against a mountain of elementals.
    - Speaking directly to other's souls, she can create various effects.

Drawbacks:
    - Follows a highly limiting codex which also can put her into some bad situations too. While highly selfless and most of the time good to everyone, blight must be purged, aggressors against nature demolished, spirit abusers banished and nature-traitors culled (Here's looking at you, skulks). Despite this, there are also the case of the spirit-users... if they work for the greater good and redeem themselves by destroying the aegis and aegis pets to even out the innocent souls torn up... balances out enough that she pays less need to smite them. When they step out of balance toward the side of innocents and nature... smiting time comes out. Its predictable and at the same time highly unpredictable...
    - Codex causes her to not take action against murderers or criminals like others may. Those are just petty people and less important than any of the above.
    - Deadlands are deadzones, she is very weak in those areas.
    -Doesn't often show up and 'hang out'. Is always on the move at the beck and call of nature. Shows up primarily only briefly for events, assists or offers something, then vanishes.
    - The character herself is physically frail. With being a monk and all, she is very fast, dodgy, dexterous and probably knows five ways to shatter your arm and explode your heart with a punch (well of course so she knows not to do it to someone). If she gets hit, she probably is going to go right down to dead or near dead.
    - As a player I know the limits to not abuse her talking to player souls (command your soul essence to do things... used with ooc and a lot of discretion)... and I set the limit bar pretty high to make it fun for everyone else.
    - Monks die a lot. >_>
    - I've so far only got a lot of people who tell me they love it. Not sure I've received hate mail yet.

Default Logic Prevails

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    Yet another question is raised - Killing players. Do you think they should use their heads to see that 'yeah, my charcter's doomed', or is the usual task of questioning players as to weither or not they want their characters killed truelly effective?
    I would say if there is good reason why a character should be permanently dead then they should be. They could come back in Private RP's or other RP's of course which may not follow the same storyline as say the Public RP.

They can also be brought back if the Player can reason a good story as to how that is to be accomplished. Some method of being reborn or what have you.

However, I would be of the opinion that one who dies in what is obviously a permanent way who does not acknowledge it and cannot manage a truly convincing reason that they come back is indeed a Power Gamer in their own right.
    "Nothing Is Never Not... everything is never."-Vacuus, Lord of Nothing

Default Re: Logic Prevails

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    However, I would be of the opinion that one who dies in what is obviously a permanent way who does not acknowledge it and cannot manage a truly convincing reason that they come back is indeed a Power Gamer in their own right.
    That's a bit of a slippery slope right there because it could also be considered power-playing to put someone into a situation where their character cannot logically escape and should by all rights be permanently killed by the event in the first place if that player does not want that to happen.

If that's the situation, I personally would not blame them if they disregarded it (provided it was a completely nonconcensual RP) or if they engineered a way to bring the character back that was maybe not to the satisfaction of everyone.

In the end, having fun is the point. If a player is not having fun after a character of theirs gets killed (or in the worst case: has someone tell them their character is dead against the player's will) then they have every right to try to make things fun again in whatever way they choose to do it (provided of course that they only do things to their own characters).

This is going to be one of those things that probably not everyone agrees on, but differing opinions in RP are inescapable. The best thing to do is try to reconcile the differences as well as one can without creating drama or conflict.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I don't think it truely matter how powerful some one is, the problem seems to be that we seldom have common ground when trying to interact in freeform RP.

It's like we are trying to put together a puzzle, but everyone bring their own pieces and it just ends up being a total mess.

If we could all agree on what puzzle we are making and then let people take out whatever pieces they want from the box, all we would disagree over is who get what pieces, but in the end we would still be able to make the puzzle.

It's like we are trying to put together a puzzle, but everyone bring their own pieces and it just ends up being a total mess.

If we could all agree on what puzzle we are making and then let people take out whatever pieces they want from the box, all we would disagree over is who get what pieces, but in the end we would still be able to make the puzzle.
    Hence why I prefer to RP while staying "mostly" true to lore and within the species/powers/breeding options the game gives us.

When you do total free form, where there's no "line of center" and noone's coming from the same place, you end up with what you're talking about. A total mess.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Default Opinion Vs. Fact

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    That's a bit of a slippery slope right there because it could also be considered power-playing to put someone into a situation where their character cannot logically escape and should by all rights be permanently killed by the event in the first place if that player does not want that to happen.

If that's the situation, I personally would not blame them if they disregarded it (provided it was a completely nonconcensual RP) or if they engineered a way to bring the character back that was maybe not to the satisfaction of everyone.

In the end, having fun is the point. If a player is not having fun after a character of theirs gets killed (or in the worst case: has someone tell them their character is dead against the player's will) then they have every right to try to make things fun again in whatever way they choose to do it (provided of course that they only do things to their own characters).

This is going to be one of those things that probably not everyone agrees on, but differing opinions in RP are inescapable. The best thing to do is try to reconcile the differences as well as one can without creating drama or conflict.
    Note the word Opinion in the text you quoted. Facts and Opinions are not the same thing. Defending against Opinions is a waste of effort because unlike Facts there is no real ground to challenge them on.

That said, as I have stated before, I would not be among those who would take the power trip and refuse the final end of any of my characters who manage to get themselves into that situation. If I feel I still want to RP them then I will do so in more private settings where essentially they exist in a different reality altogether. I doubt I would bother attempting to figure a way to bring them back.

At some point every story has its end.

Default Re: Opinion Vs. Fact

I doubt I would bother attempting to figure a way to bring them back.

Well, I think that 'point' varies depending on what type of game you're RPing in ultimately.

In a D&D game or even in a forum game it might be "relatively" simple/painless to reroll.

But in an MMORPG I think you're in the minority in the "not minding a character being dead permaently."

Not everyone has the option/knows people they can RP with privately that way. Not everyone wants to reroll and relevel a character back through a game like an MMORPG (or even a high level D&D/tabletop game).

I can tell you for a *fact* that Frith-Rae's story doesn't end until I stop subbing. Period. I would never allow her to be permakilled, no matter what unwinnable situation someone came up with. It just wouldn't be allowed by me, period. Now, having said that I try my best to keep her out of just such situations, and I try my best not to RP with anyoen who would attempt to push me into that corner. I have no problem with walking away from people who attempt to do such things to others.

Now, I would allow her to be killed to forward a story in which one of the goals would then be to "bring her back" so to speak.

But permakilled - no. I am with Raptress that ultimatly any such "conclusion" by anyone's story, if it involves wanting to Kill (perm or to be brought back) or even maim another player that needs to be discussed and fully decided upon behind the scenes before you ever go down that path.

That's just curtesy to me. Even if I knew I wa splaying with someone like you, Shinkuu I'd still discuss it with you first and we would work out together how it coudl come about. One should never just start down such a story path with someone ELSE's character and not discuss it with them first .

COMMUNICATE!!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Note the word Opinion in the text you quoted. Facts and Opinions are not the same thing. Defending against Opinions is a waste of effort because unlike Facts there is no real ground to challenge them on.
    Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean that I can't respond to it and post my own. I wasn't challenging your opinion, I was saying it was a risky one to have in some cases. I was offering my own opinion on the situation. You are perfectly welcome to yours, and I do not ask nor expect that you change it. Isn't the point of a forum to see other people's view points?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default No Mystery, how boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    That's just curtesy to me. Even if I knew I was playing with someone like you, Shinkuu I'd still discuss it with you first and we would work out together how it could come about. One should never just start down such a story path with someone ELSE's character and not discuss it with them first .

COMMUNICATE!!
    If you tried to talk out a death scene for one of my characters with me I would frankly be annoyed at you. You would be giving me all sorts of OOC knowledge that I would prefer stay out of my head so it would not leak into my IC actions. I like a good surprise and a surprise ending is far superior to some prescripted event which has no chance of going in any other direction. If you simply said OOCLY you intended to try to Permakill the character in particular I would simply say "Then do it ICLY and let us see what happens.".

Not that we ever RP together, but just as a general rule for anyone who DOES want to take out one of mine. That is how you should go about it. Just try it and see if it works or not.

While we are on the subject though, one of mine has been Permakilled now. Shink may be the next to fall in that plot line but that is undetermined. Only time and her continued RP will tell when and why she is destroyed.

Default Re: No Mystery, how boring.

If you tried to talk out a death scene for one of my characters with me I would frankly be annoyed at you. You would be giving me all sorts of OOC knowledge that I would prefer stay out of my head so it would not leak into my IC actions. I like a good surprise and a surprise ending is far superior to some prescripted event which has no chance of going in any other direction. If you simply said OOCLY you intended to try to Permakill the character in particular I would simply say "Then do it ICLY and let us see what happens.".
    So you're saying that you would attempt and expect to be able to permakill someones character without their permission to do so?

While we are on the subject though, one of mine has been Permakilled now. Shink may be the next to fall in that plot line but that is undetermined. Only time and her continued RP will tell when and why she is destroyed.
    That's not quite what the subject is, though. The subject is about other people permakilling other peoples characters. Not someone permakilling their own character.

Default Reading Comprehension FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    So you're saying that you would attempt and expect to be able to permakill someones character without their permission to do so?

That's not quite what the subject is, though. The subject is about other people permakilling other peoples characters. Not someone permakilling their own character.
    No, I am saying that if you go after mine, do not bother talking it over with me OOCLY, just do it. That is exactly what I said.

Also, it is not my fault that no one got around to taking Zarla out before I had to make the move myself.

Arrow Re: Overpowered Characters

And now for my opinion. What can I say?

First off, reguarding something that I think...Shinkuu said - I'm rather sure Private Roleplays have entered a dimention of their own as seemingly that is all that happens...I hardly see much public roleplay going on anymore.

But back on track!

I personally hate it when people kill off other characters. It's sad! So much development...yet I also hate it when a character is killed only to come back a while later ALL FIEN N DANDEH.

Personally - I embrace character death. RPing a character's death can be fun and dramatic and open up a few new windows of oportunity. IT can leave a lasting impression and really prove that you can accept death as you did life.

BUT. I do not like it when I am casually roleplaying, or even in a battle, and character A rushes in and kills me, then insists my character should be dead.

I have my own method - if I am in a possition to finish another character off, I talk to them in private, ask them if this is what they really would like then if they decline - I will make something happen...he slips up, he trips, he sneezes, he...just explodes! It doesn't latter, but somehow the other lives.

But! This is not to say it needs to be this leniant. I personally think that if your character gets involved in a fight with another character, weaker OR stronger, he needs to at LEAST take injuries, and if not death - at least crippling wounds or missing limbs. Weither it's fighting a freakin' ancient dragon while you're a lowly gnome or an adult taking on a smaller one, you have to be ready to accept defeat when it comes, and death when it is just. Unless you really would like to keep the character.

Personally, no one likes having ongoing plotlines and storylines ended before their time due to their character's deaths...but otherwise, being reasonable helps.

The WORST sort of reasoninng is when someone goes 'BUHT MAH CHARACTOR CNANOTDIE LOL' and refuses to give an adiquite explanation.

To get more onto the subject of the actual thread - I really mean players that make unkillable characters. Either instant regenerators, immortals , or just...can't die.

Now, I ain't saying this is a huge no-no. Infact, that's mostly the basis of the Gifted. If the 'Gift' is really magical, then it can be countered and a Gifted CAN be kept dead with the right magics.

Saying 'no' to a character death simply because you don't want him dead yet and have plans, is fine. But when people go 'MY CHARACTER HAS XXXX ABILITY, SO HE CANNUT DIE" that is the worst sort of respaunce.

I personally see no fun when there is no threat. No risk that you would die so there's no point making fights , confruntations or rituals fun.

Default Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    And now for my opinion. What can I say?

First off, reguarding something that I think...Shinkuu said - I'm rather sure Private Roleplays have entered a dimention of their own as seemingly that is all that happens...I hardly see much public roleplay going on anymore.

But back on track!

I personally hate it when people kill off other characters. It's sad! So much development...yet I also hate it when a character is killed only to come back a while later ALL FIEN N DANDEH.

Personally - I embrace character death. RPing a character's death can be fun and dramatic and open up a few new windows of oportunity. IT can leave a lasting impression and really prove that you can accept death as you did life.

BUT. I do not like it when I am casually roleplaying, or even in a battle, and character A rushes in and kills me, then insists my character should be dead.

I have my own method - if I am in a possition to finish another character off, I talk to them in private, ask them if this is what they really would like then if they decline - I will make something happen...he slips up, he trips, he sneezes, he...just explodes! It doesn't latter, but somehow the other lives.

But! This is not to say it needs to be this leniant. I personally think that if your character gets involved in a fight with another character, weaker OR stronger, he needs to at LEAST take injuries, and if not death - at least crippling wounds or missing limbs. Weither it's fighting a freakin' ancient dragon while you're a lowly gnome or an adult taking on a smaller one, you have to be ready to accept defeat when it comes, and death when it is just. Unless you really would like to keep the character.

Personally, no one likes having ongoing plotlines and storylines ended before their time due to their character's deaths...but otherwise, being reasonable helps.

The WORST sort of reasoninng is when someone goes 'BUHT MAH CHARACTOR CNANOTDIE LOL' and refuses to give an adiquite explanation.

To get more onto the subject of the actual thread - I really mean players that make unkillable characters. Either instant regenerators, immortals , or just...can't die.

Now, I ain't saying this is a huge no-no. Infact, that's mostly the basis of the Gifted. If the 'Gift' is really magical, then it can be countered and a Gifted CAN be kept dead with the right magics.

Saying 'no' to a character death simply because you don't want him dead yet and have plans, is fine. But when people go 'MY CHARACTER HAS XXXX ABILITY, SO HE CANNUT DIE" that is the worst sort of respaunce.

I personally see no fun when there is no threat. No risk that you would die so there's no point making fights , confruntations or rituals fun.
    If your character IS Gifted then in many situations a grievous wound like arms getting lost and even death will be a temporary problem.

I am actually a bit annoyed at people who want to assume that they can be scarred or permanently dismembered or the like while also claiming to be Gifted as the lore regarding the Gift clearly states that it reverts your body into its most prime state no matter what happens to it. Therefore, no matter how you die or how you get injured you will eventually heal back to full perfect form. This is WHY you regenerate after battle.

I agree with the Bold Underlined part 100%. Even more so when Villains are involved. Unkillable super villains are not only unfun but flat out grating because an unstoppable Evil begs the question "Why bother?" you cannot do anything about it so why fight it at all? Just ignore them entirely. However, by the same token the Heroes need to be killable or there is no spice or drama. Evil should have a chance to WIN as much as a chance to be Defeated.

I created Miravlix over 15 years ago, he is part of my life and the only reason his story ends is because I die in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Miravlix View Post
    I created Miravlix over 15 years ago, he is part of my life and the only reason his story ends is because I die in the real world.
    *Cue the creepy slasher movie music* FFF STAB YOU IN TEH FAEC.

Though admittedly, I understand that you are putting your own 'persona' of sorts into this.

But keep in mind, some people are not as attached to their characters.

Also keep in mind that just because it is important to you, doesn't mean you should make it godly>:

Thread Information