Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does one do?

Oh THAT isn't a creepy question at all. Begone HTML formbox!

Default Re: What does one do?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Whoa. Unless college means something else where you live, there's something seriously wrong going on.

I would expect that your instructor has a responsibility to maintain order in their classroom, first and foremost, and has the authority to remove disruptive or abusive students. Talk to your instructor. If you already have, and they refuse to do anything about it, speak with their department head, and keep going up the totem pole until you find someone who will take action. Permitting that sort of crap in a classroom is tantamount to encouraging it and the instructor doing so should be reprimanded.

Depending on how much you fear for your safety, you should probably also talk to campus security.

Whatever you do, as others have suggested, make sure you document what's going on, and make sure the people above get a copy regularly (but not more often than once a day). You'll need to build a case, otherwise they'll think its an isolated incident. You'll also need something to prove your case if their taunting turns into physical assault.

Now, let's say nobody there wants to do anything despite your pleas for help. You're likely paying the college, and have other options -- GTFO and take your money elsewhere. Don't pay to get bullied. The college certainly isn't worth your time or money if they don't care about you.
    I would not be surprised - actually I am not - they find behavior like this NORMAL. Because it IS normal where I am.

I am not going to lie, I am constantly called and treated like an idiot. I am not an idiot. I may not have alot of qualifications for one my age but I have recieved a 2 in my English O-levels and have a LONDON in the same subject.

I write novellas - well type more like it - to pass my time sometimes, and I usually help people with creative thinking.

I personally agree though...if this continues, i'm just snapping, going to talk about this, and if the proper action is not taken - Just...leaving. Or skipping this year out.
    We're all stuck in a mess of relationships,
    that go on with or without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix View Post
    I would not be surprised - actually I am not - they find behavior like this NORMAL. Because it IS normal where I am.

I am not going to lie, I am constantly called and treated like an idiot. I am not an idiot. I may not have alot of qualifications for one my age but I have recieved a 2 in my English O-levels and have a LONDON in the same subject.

I write novellas - well type more like it - to pass my time sometimes, and I usually help people with creative thinking.

I personally agree though...if this continues, i'm just snapping, going to talk about this, and if the proper action is not taken - Just...leaving. Or skipping this year out.
    I hope you are able to get the support you need to continue your studies. However, as others have said, your well being is far more important than staying put for the degree. I cannot give any better advice than has already been given but I wanted to add my wishes for things to work out for the best for you.

Glad to hear you write too. Have you tried extending the novellas into a novel for publishing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I hope you are able to get the support you need to continue your studies. However, as others have said, your well being is far more important than staying put for the degree. I cannot give any better advice than has already been given but I wanted to add my wishes for things to work out for the best for you.

Glad to hear you write too. Have you tried extending the novellas into a novel for publishing yet?

As usual , Awdz. You are kind as ever. Yes, I have thought about it. I haven't exactly gotten into it though...for several reasons. Amogst which the characters, who because of their..er...species, I will have to completely do a redux.

There is something seriously wrong going on here. Now I do say one thing, I was THE kid to pick on because I was passive, quiet, didn't fight back, and generally seen as 'different'. This occurred from grade 1 to grade 10 (Seems hitting high school really made them focus on other priorities, finally a moment of respite) and the worst years had been 7 and 8.

I do not stand for bullies.

First thing i will say however is that you need to get it dealt with. DO NOT deal with it physically because of the law. You can be charged and vice versa if he attacks you.

I had started martial arts in february (due to sickness haven't been attending however, hope to go back soon) - the first thing you are taught is that it is never wise to use it to promote violence. The art is there to control the violence, keep the peace. In essence, you do not use the kungfu to go beat someone up. You use it when you really are forced to use it - defending yourself.

If he does attack you, all you can do is run. Run very quickly, do not fight. You are no good to anyone beaten to a pulp. Go to the police about it.

If he is threatening you, go to the school administration right now. You are not a coward to tell someone about it, unlike what they may make you think. You do not deserve to put up with this.

... I would love to write more but I think I have a neighbour smoking pot and need to stop up my doorframe so I'm not smelling that garbage.

Well clearly Fix isn't posting from/about the US - I'm not sure where you are at Fix unless you're in Malta which you mentioned in a previous post.

Don't know why you're getting an education there, or wherever you are at. But just remember in the internet day and age there are alternatives to getting your education even if you aren't able to travel and relocate.

Like I said, that may not help you out at all - the school stuff you're talking about is not our US system so I am not familiar with "English O "levels" and a "london" (no clue what that is lol). BUT when you're talking about purusing higher education, I know that there are alternative s- even if like you said, it may mean taking a year or something off till you get there.

I hope the system will help you, but if you're right and they do nothing - realize that there are ALWAYS options!! (to further your education, not harm yourself or anyone else, they aren't worth it anyway...)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

As a development, I have recently approached several people including my parents, the head and a few others and they 'said' something will be done. Yet so far things do not seem far better.

I do have a feeling they are still targeting me as they are sitting right by me right now...reguardless of there being room at the back and even in the row behind me.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

In my situations like this, Fix, I found something to be very helpful. If you're not assigned a particular seat in your class(es) with these people, make a point of sitting in the FRONT row or as close to the instructor as possible. Harassment needs cover and a blind eye to allow it to be continued. If that cover is taken away, it makes things much more difficult. Especially since this is college, I'd find and/or make up reasons to walk out with the professor and talk with them about either the subject of the day or about the situation at hand. That way, the ones doing the bullying have no one-on-one access time behind the screen of anonymity.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Yeah sadly even adults act like 2 year olds. even I get bullied at work! I try to not take it too seriously, and let i float off like it was never said, but I`m very emotionaly sencative, and bipolar. so things make me upset easily.

It`s gotten worse for me since I "came out of the closet" so to speak. O.o
    *looks about nervously*
    But I feel ur pain Fix, it`s not fun being bullied. Seeing it`s going on at school well college, you should speak with the professor, or someone higher up if it`s bothering you too much, which it seems that it is.
    *hugs*
    Just take it easy bud, I`m sure you`l make it through alright

Eventually You'll get mad enough to scream and rage in his face that if he doesn't stop you'll get him kicked out I did and it worked for me the next day the guy didn't bug me.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Another update. It has not stopped – has indeed become worse…and it is showing no promise.

I have gone to counseling and they have verified that , indeed, things are bad and they ‘will warn the teachers’. That is all they said they are doing. I have literally spoken to everyone I can and nothing is being done. I am reporting their activities daily, yet nothing much seems to be happening.

Their attitude is now obvious. They do not care. They are heartless. The head literally entered the class today and spoken about his own experiences with bullying, having seen a friend be driven to the point of suicide. This was done in an attempt to make the class more aware…after I told him.

Their reaction? They found it funny. They spent the lesson joking about it and generally teasing the [insertcencorshiphere] out of someone. It is clear I am dealing with people that do not care how much they are warned, they shall go on.

I was told that if it goes on, the Head will put me in a room with them and we’ll all talk it over. No. I cannot accept that. They will take it as a clear threat – something I have not been so far, and escalate this.

I am not a rowdy person. I’ve only fought ONCE in my life against someone half my size during my ‘ego-trip’ period in Form 5 (Er, that is around Highschool for Americans…methinks.). And other then that? I used to be the same way. I used to be annoyed but…I had a few friends I could rely on, vent on…generally bullying back then wasn’t that bad. Hell, I shrugged it off. But when it came from people in my own class or – the worst part – right on the bus stop before going there, I found it VERY annoying.

Physical bullying? I’ve gone through a bit. Nothing too serious, being tripped once or twice , the one time it DID escalate to serious I stood up for myself. Didn’t go too well but I won. Perhaps I have a talent for beating up midgets…interesting.

Anyway – This type of abuse? It’s getting far worse. I think it has began to physically and mentally effect me. I get thoughts you see…very bad ones. What type? I Think I will leave that up to you to decide.

I am doing my best to be strong but at this rate it feels futile. I cannot leave/resign because 99.5% Says I cannot re-join the course, and they will not re-accept me…and unfortunately my parents will not allow that. Aslong as I live under their roof :/ That and I would like to get my qualifications.

I have no choice but to go through this every day, but at this rate I cannot go on. And according to them - this shall take a while.

I do not HAVE a while.

Is this really what I get for being quiet? I never disturb anyone. I never talk back to anyone. Hell I’ve been the paragon of sweetness – I help people who are lost, I speak up when someone has a problem…weither they have wronged me or not.

This has to end soon…or I will have to end it myself.

Oh Fixy I feel horrible for you. :/ I wish I could be there to straighten those punks out like they deserve.

Just keep positive, ignore them like I said and let it roll off your back. Don't give up Fixy, you know you have everyone here supporting you.

At some point it almost makes me wonder what they'd do if you actually did stand up in the middle of class right when they're harassing you and turn, look at them directly, and either shout at them or raise your voice loud enough so the ENTIRE class AND Teacher hears and sees you and tell them to "STOP HARASSING ME STOP BULLYING ME I'M TRYING TO CONCENTRATE ON THE CLASS. STOP INTERRUPTING MY SCHOOLING! GROW UP AND QUIT ACTING LIKE CHILDREN!"

Basically say that, call them out in front of everyone so everyone knows it's happening and that you're sick and effing tired of their crap. If you have to (if you have the courage to) I'd also slap my hands on their desks if they're right next to me and lean down a bit while I'm shouting. Of course that's just me, and what I'd do since I strike a more imposing figure/presence with how built I am. heh. But still, being bold and standing up for yourself, literally, with the entire class's attention focused on you insures that not only will the teacher have to pause the lecture to settle the matter, but also everyone can see what pricks they're acting like towards you and they'll HOPEFULLY be embarrassed, and if not, you'll have the teacher's eyes on you protecting you if they do their job right.

And also like someone else said, sit in the VERY FRONT of the class, make sure other people that are neutral are nearby you, or between you and the bullies, to prevent them from having the sneaky chance of picking on you.
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

^ So much this. If you can get the courage for 5 mins to do something like that in front of the class, it's sure to embarrass them or at the very least show the professor that he's not doing his job.

I've done something like this before. It's so worth it.

I thank you both but I wish it was that easy.

People in this class...they ain't like that. Showing you can stand up for yourself and do that is not worth shizz.

I've seen it happen.

Give it a try first Fixy before giving up on the idea. You might've seen it not successful elsewhere, but with this case they already know about it, and not only is it just good for the teacher to see what's wrong, but it also shows your bullies you're willing to make them into a mockery and that you're not backing down from them and that you're sick of it. And also that you DO have some bark and if need be you just might have a bite too that they're not aware of. (However I advise not to resort to physical violence because of the legality and likelihood of you getting the worse deal.)
    Githinji Koray son of Starstilanxs-Order Shard, Raml Koray son of Githinji-Order Shard
    Every man has a price to charge and a price to pay. Yeah, I've paid mine in ♠spades♠.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Give it a try first Fixy before giving up on the idea. You might've seen it not successful elsewhere, but with this case they already know about it, and not only is it just good for the teacher to see what's wrong, but it also shows your bullies you're willing to make them into a mockery and that you're not backing down from them and that you're sick of it. And also that you DO have some bark and if need be you just might have a bite too that they're not aware of. (However I advise not to resort to physical violence because of the legality and likelihood of you getting the worse deal.)
    You have my msn right ? M essage me sometime if you see me on.

Anyway....er...I don't think this is the case. I cannot give anything a try.

Just saying LOL IDC and doing something like that might compromise attracting too much attention...this is why this particularly bothers me. That I cannot do anything about this.

Either way...I am working on fixing it. These counciling meetings sure feel...invasive.

On the flip side...

I should be resturning to Istaria on...about the 6-8th of April.

Thread Information