Thread: Computer viruses

Hybrid View

Default Computer viruses

I need help...
    can modems become infected with viruses?
    I`ve had nothing but problems recently, I clean out my copmuters, do scans almost twice a day every day now, but as soon as I get rid of one virus POOF! instantly another attacks my computers, killing my CPU, causing freezes, crashes, slowness, and everything. Even have techs remotely fixxing it, but I cannot get rid of these viruses.
    Am I gonna have to totaly redo my entire computer including windows? if so I`m screwed. I can`t get a CD for my desktop. XP service pack 3 I don`t know where to buy one, and I cannot upgrade at this time. is there a computer wiz in the house? plz help me...

Default Re: Computer viruses

You may want to consider, if you can afford it sending it into a computer shop.
    It sounds as if you may have a backdoor trojan. These viruses act as a "door opener" allowing other viruses to come in. Or the kind that dig all the way down into the BIOS.. Either way those types of viruses SUCK.
    What kind of virus/spyware/firewall protection do you have?

As for getting a hold of win XP disk, unless you're lucky enough to find someone with the disks. The only other place(s) that I've found it are online - Ebay, amazon and the like.

Hope you get your comp fixed soon *hugs*

my antivirus is Cyber Defender, and anti malware is malwarebytes
    I might just end up going out, and buying a new tower since my Windows is pretty much obsolete. might be smarter then spending the same amount to get this one fixed.:P had AVG, and even tried Microsoft security, and Panda, but none are working.

Once you are infected, you have to run an anti-virus from a separate OS (usually a boot cd) to get rid of it. They can hide from anything running on the infected system.

Quote Originally Posted by Theramin View Post
    Once you are infected, you have to run an anti-virus from a separate OS (usually a boot cd) to get rid of it. They can hide from anything running on the infected system.
    Not necessarily. Even the nastiest of viruses can still be removed from the OS running it so long as you're actually able to run the OS. Just like how nothing's 100% secure from viruses, viruses are not 100% secure from being removed. If there's a way for a virus to embed its self onto your computer, there's a way to get rid of it. Not always an easy way (as in you'll likely have to do it manually), but a way none the less.

Now, if your OS is completely compromised and you're unable to start the computer, then you'll need another OS/computer. But that's just because your OS/computer isn't in an operable state, not because you can't fully remove a virus with the infected computer.

If that was the situation in my house... I'd get one A/V updated, then disconnect the internet completely and physically (turn off the modem or disconnect ethernet cables etc). Deal with the virus, and especially any backdoor trojan if you can identify it ... then use that pc to fix hd's from other machines (using hd caddy's or connect as a second slave drive). Safe mode can be better for running a/v scans to avoid any files that may be locked.

If you have evidence of an infection that your a/v isn't finding (i.e. strange filename exe's or strange behaviour), use another source of internet (i.e. mobile if your call plan has it or a friends pc) to identify it yourself and try a manual removal.

Hopefully you won't have to reinstall. Good luck!

Rakku

Thread Information