View Poll Results: Which Size Ancient Dragon Models do you use?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Native - Un-modded smaller

13 28.89%
  • Modded - larger - original size reduced many years ago but available as a mod

32 71.11%

Thread: Ancient Dragon Size Poll / Old vs New

Default Ancient Dragon Size Poll / Old vs New

The name says it all. This is just for my curiosity I don't want to open a can of worms.

Who still uses the native (New/small) Ancient Dragon and who has installed the original Ancient Dragon size (Old/Large) mod.

Thanks,

Default Re: Ancient Dragon Size Poll / Old vs New

I think I had the old one installed, but tbh, I dont think I saw a big diff, anyhow, I still vote old as, well, anything OLD in istaria equals GREAT lol (not that new stuff is bad or smthing)

Don't have an ancient yet, but if I did, I'd probably use the large size... except when I planned to go out hunting. That's when a smaller size really helps. lol.

Mine's modded. I love seeing a difference between Adult and Ancient.

I just realized a problem when I saw this poll. There is something new planned for dragons. I cannot reveal it yet, sorry to say. Is just in concept stage at the moment. But as an FYI for those that use the ancient mod I wanted to let you know it is going to be incompatible with the new assets. While this will not render the mod unusable, characters that happen to be using the new assets will not appear correctly because of the size difference. Pieces and parts just won't fit together.

I will try scaling up and exporting mod compatible versions of the models however I can not promise that they will work and fit properly. Nor can I spend hours of time trying to make them work. I will do what I can but there were changes made to the source files in the past that will make it difficult to get a good fit.

Just thought to let you know that it will be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    I just realized a problem when I saw this poll. There is something new planned for dragons. I cannot reveal it yet, sorry to say. Is just in concept stage at the moment. But as an FYI for those that use the ancient mod I wanted to let you know it is going to be incompatible with the new assets. While this will not render the mod unusable, characters that happen to be using the new assets will not appear correctly because of the size difference. Pieces and parts just won't fit together.

I will try scaling up and exporting mod compatible versions of the models however I can not promise that they will work and fit properly. Nor can I spend hours of time trying to make them work. I will do what I can but there were changes made to the source files in the past that will make it difficult to get a good fit.

It makes me sad that the original ancient mod may eventually be partially - if not completely incompatible. I never much cared for the fact that (with out the mod) you really couldn't tell the difference between a small ancient and a large adult.

Ah well thats progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    It makes me sad that the original ancient mod may eventually be partially - if not completely incompatible.
    I don't want to kill the mod which is why I will make the effort. If resizing the new assets goes well, that will be great and someone can add the files into the mod. At worse it will involve making tiny adjustments without any references, exporting, launching and examining then repeating. If I have to do it that way then I will have a difficult time of it and the result will probably have an open seam or might not move correctly.

Awww you're awesome Solitaire Thank you for the effort.

I miss the option "Other - Modded" I use the hatchie mod since the bounding box around the ancients stinks.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Sweet , were gonna get visable Dragon Armour??? I;m assuming but it does sound like it

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Sweet , were gonna get visable Dragon Armour??? I;m assuming but it does sound like it
    Sorry, but that is not within the scope of what I'm working on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    If you want visible dragon armor its been done by the players already

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24354

why not just put the old ancient size back in? EVERYONE wants it back. why not just change it? the resize back then was a bullcrap reason anyway, just change it already. your already going to the trouble of making new model assets...

I don't want to kill the mod which is why I will make the effort.
    Oh, wow. Thank you very much for the effort, Solitaire! I myself really dislike the smaller Ancient model, and I would be very disappointed to have to revert to the default. Malestryx just doesn't look right in that shrunken body with his huge head. :/

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Who says 'everyone'? The only reason I use it is because it looks cool at public dragon events. If setscale wasn't in the game or if I didn't have that mod also, I'd be very angry if this mod was made part of the game. There are many reasons not to use the ancient size mod.

1. Forces you to use khutit or setscale mod for most structures. If I didn't use setscale, there's no way I could see the vault keeper for example because Shian's head pops out the top. I'm also stuck if I crash in a biped structure like a forge. I have to shrink the structure to get out.

2. Larger bounding box: Makes crafting nearly impossible if any player hasn't figured out the 'gather with your butt' technique. Combat has also been a problem. Been sitting there spamming buttons for a while before I realize I'm 1m too far away even though I'm standing on the thing.

3. Less screen size: The more of your dragon that takes up the screen, the less room you have to see your surroundings and the enemies that you need to not aggro.

For me the biggest reason why I really dislike the smaller Ancient size is because there is almost no difference, aside from the head model, between a large adult and a small ancient and ultimately there becomes very little visual difference between the two. It also doesn't help that it almost seems as if the head looks way too big on the 'normal' smaller sized Ancient body.(It's almost like the body was made smaller, but the heads remained their original size).

I agree with Akrion, there is just no discernible difference between adult and ancient models native.

Personally I don't use setscale anymore. I just use khutit form for what it was designed. To go in buildings designed for smaller beings. I know it is buggy but I find that if I don't move during the shifting process it rarely bugs out.

Agree with the bounding box issue but the other issue Shian pointed out is one I have wanted changed for a while - increase how far out we can zoom. It is fine for smaller characters but not enough for even adult dragons IMO.
    Last edited by Snowflury; April 11th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Awww, why is there no "both" poll option?

I've been swapping between mod and no-mod for awhile now, since each has irritating complications that leave me unsatisfied. Without the mod I absolutely cannot tell an adult apart from an ancient without /who-ing them (which often doesn't work, hooray for everybody running Invisible these days) which drives me mad. Similarly, I hate being barely bigger than those silly little adults diving between my legs-- I'm an ancient, a supremely illustrious dragon of fantastic power! I don't want to be barely distinguishable from those runty little adults who had to be carried through their first Rites.

The mod's problems are just as annoying, though. To start with it's a mod, so it's almost guaranteed that at some point it will break, or break other things, or just otherwise turn into a headache of "well let me prune my Override folder again." And then once I'm properly big, we bang into the problem of having to interact with a world where everything is the size of my foot. You can, don't get me wrong-- Khutit form works fine, 1st/3rd-person view toggle is keybound well by default. But half the fun is being able to watch my character as I rampage about, and it's a nuisance to have to change into Khutit (doesn't look as good as Dragon form, sorry) or worse not see myself at all while I shuffle around trying to get things into range and selected. And don't get me started on the irritation of a beautiful flying animation ruined by my inability to zoom the camera out far enough to see something besides my massive self.

Anyways. The only good-from-a-selfish-player's-perspective solution I can think of offhand would be an option in the game options window to toggle between "small" and "large" ancient sizes. But that requires precious, precious dev resources, and I don't know if it would fix the problems so much as rearrange them.

So yeah, I got nothin'. There's my opinion, though.

Thread Information