Thread: Thread for Snakes!

Default Thread for Snakes!

Stop now if you don't like snakes and click back. This is a thread for those of us who keep snakes (and other reptiles) as pets to go on ramblings about snakes (and reptiles).

~

For those of you who have been breeding ball pythons, what sort of bloodlines have you got? One of my aspirations is piebald morphs obviously which is why this one male snake I saw was like the golden goose in my eyes. But I think perhaps that may be in the future, piebalds are just not cheap. If you get them eating reliably, perhaps I could buy one off one of you guys instead. I think it was that you needed a female to be something like 3 years old and a weight over 1200 or something anyhow.
    Last edited by RuneDragoon; June 28th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Default Re: Thread for Snakes!

I own an a pair of het pieds. They never refuse a meal but are tempermental. Usually getting the female first to get her up to breeding size is the way to go and on average the age and weight you quoted is a good idea. I am a member of a few reptile forums and have purchased morphs from fellow members.

here is my run down:
    het pied pair - from 8ball pythons
    lesser platty female - from forum member
    spider male- from forum member
    pinstripe male -from Bailey & Bailey reptiles (upon purchase I could pick a free normal female turned out to be a half sibling they are a proven pair)
    lemon pastel male - from forum member
    mojave male - from Albey Scholl (he's also a forum member)
    het clown female - from Exotics by Nature (will get a male from them as well)
    cinnamon female - from forum member
    normal female - from forum member
    normal male - from forum member

I also have two male cornsnakes one is a ghost morph the other a blood red morph.

plan on getting a few more bp's, but not for a bit.. no room to expand at the moment :P
    Chaos - Kinrath - Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper,
    Ashlind - hatchling, Corinnia - training biped
    Sparkled Sunbeam - hatchling

I have a pied male and a het pied female - but as I'm in the UK that might be rather less than helpful (and besides, I've got dibs on the first pied female we produce; I want to make combination morphs involving pied). We also have two pinstripes (one proven male and one of his daughters), a pair of Ghosts, a pair of Albinos, a pair of Yellowbellies, a pair of Fires, a Lesser boy, a Pewter boy, a Mojave girl, a Butter girl and a Pastel girl, plus six normal females.

Nearly all of my morph royals (with the exception of the Yellowbelly male) are from Bob Clark; the female normals and the yellowbelly boy were picked up from various forum members on a reptile forum I frequent.

I also have quite a few other snakes - a dwarf retic, a Dumerils' boa and a whitesided Texas rat in the front room, a common boa and a Brazilian rainbow in the bedroom, and two spare bedrooms with more snakes (and lizards) than I can shake a fuzzy at, especially with the arrival of the fifteen new babies. Unfortunately, the male corn I bred this year didn't turn out to be het Motley like I hoped, so this year's clutch doesn't have any keepers in it (I was hoping for a Caramel motley-het-stripe).
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kesqui View Post
    I have a pied male and a het pied female - but as I'm in the UK that might be rather less than helpful (and besides, I've got dibs on the first pied female we produce; I want to make combination morphs involving pied). We also have two pinstripes (one proven male and one of his daughters), a pair of Ghosts, a pair of Albinos, a pair of Yellowbellies, a pair of Fires, a Lesser boy, a Pewter boy, a Mojave girl, a Butter girl and a Pastel girl, plus six normal females.

Nearly all of my morph royals (with the exception of the Yellowbelly male) are from Bob Clark; the female normals and the yellowbelly boy were picked up from various forum members on a reptile forum I frequent.

I also have quite a few other snakes - a dwarf retic, a Dumerils' boa and a whitesided Texas rat in the front room, a common boa and a Brazilian rainbow in the bedroom, and two spare bedrooms with more snakes (and lizards) than I can shake a fuzzy at, especially with the arrival of the fifteen new babies. Unfortunately, the male corn I bred this year didn't turn out to be het Motley like I hoped, so this year's clutch doesn't have any keepers in it (I was hoping for a Caramel motley-het-stripe).
    I know you had more than me.. but dang.. aww sorry about the corn clutch but at least now you know.
    Chaos - Kinrath - Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper,
    Ashlind - hatchling, Corinnia - training biped
    Sparkled Sunbeam - hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    I know you had more than me.. but dang.. aww sorry about the corn clutch but at least now you know.
    To be honest, I'm just happy that a third of the clutch has already had its first feed... means that it won't be long before our local shop can have them (I make sure they've had at least four feeds) and I can pick up a new breeder male (anerythristic stripe possible het lavender and amel) from them The new breeder boy is a little fellow I bred two years back that they've had but not sold yet, and I decided he'd fit nicely with some of my others.

Our last reptile head count was 67, not counting the new babies.

I have a 1.1(male/female) 100% het caramel albino ball pythons im trying to breed them soon,
    i have a male 50% het caramel ball python who is just a pet,
    and i have a female high golden banded female ball python

i also have a male dumeril's boa who is still little but will grow 20-30 pounds when full grown and 5 feet long.

and i just got a recently adopted corn snake, unsure if it is a male or female.

i also have 4 leopard geckos 2 males 2 females
    and then my big male bearded dragon named Tank who is my best buddy had him since he was 3 inches long and a couple of weeks old and got him at christmas.
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

Quote Originally Posted by venom-dragon7799 View Post
    i also have a male dumeril's boa who is still little but will grow 20-30 pounds when full grown and 5 feet long.
    At five foot a Dumerils definitely shouldn't weigh thirty pounds... my Dumerils boy is about four foot now and is nowhere near that - more like two kilograms (about 4.5 pounds). Will have to weigh him after work.

The eight-foot common boa we "borrowed" for a while was about 23-24 pounds - and yes, a Dumerils could get that long and that heavy

the breeder said the parents were pretty big the actual size i have no idea as there is alot of misinformation out there but ya sorry about the misinformation i posted. brain shuts down after work alot. but i cant wait till he is full grown.
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

Thread Information