Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill S.978 Aka "The screw you, gamers" Bill

Default Re: Bill S.978 Aka "The screw you, gamers" Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Thanks Steel =)
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Yes, thank you Steel. Good to know the Bill has at least not really gotten anywhere in this time.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    ok, this is no joke:
    Here in Germany GEMA wants to take fees from kindergardens,
    when the children are singing "their" songs (songs they have the rights for).

That nearly caused a revolution- but last word on this is not spoken yet.
    lol

Oh, fun. The House version of this bill just got released yesterday:

Text: http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/...0HR%203261.pdf
    Tracker: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Thank you for that link, Darziak. I'd love to see what the Colbert Report would make of that issue if they decided to run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Thank you for that link, Darziak. I'd love to see what the Colbert Report would make of that issue if they decided to run with it.
    Best episode ever.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

This bill is quite overreaching. Why can't congress ever write a bill that is easy to read, easy to understand, and made without Lobbyists interests at heart.

It is quite disheartening that there are so many, supposed, leaders in the government that choose to jump on the money train, instead of writing legislation that makes sense, is readable, is understandable, and actually benefits the US and the US economy.

Not saying that the Entertainment Industry doesn't deserve to have their copyrights protected, because they do, but seriously... They shouldn't be taking it out on the whole internet community. Why toss out the barrel over a few spoiled apples?
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    So I was watching the Colbert Report (you know where this is going already don't you!) and he starts talking about something called H.R. 3261. Supposedly has something to do with piracy on the internet. Hmmm-I'm listening....

Oh really! So if I post "copywrite" material on Youtube, I can single handily destroy the entire site unless they find it within 5 days among the billions of videos posted daily? And then I would get to enjoy a 5 year vacation with a cellmate name Denice? Hmmmmm why does this sound so familiar?

*Walks up to H.R. 3261 and pulls off the cloak it's hiding under to find S.978*

S.978! What are you doing there! Have you gotten fatter? ;D

I did a little googling just to check and turns out it just a combination of S.978 and S.968 which was in the other youtube video about Protect IP mentioned by Darziak.

So this basically the same -just no longer "10 tries- and you lose" but now "Do it once and we'll break your kneecaps-and then we'll find the people who run the site and break their kneecaps too!!"

P.S. I liked it...but I was hoping Colbert would do something more outrageous with it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Xanthia; December 3rd, 2011 at 12:10 AM.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

So, the House Judiciary Committee is currently marking up HR 3261. Thursday was long, Friday will probably be longer. Watch the action! (Discussion should resume around 10:00 EST [GMT-5].)

I feel at least somewhat reassured that some of the Representatives there are concerned with issues such as abuse of the act to stifle freedom of speech, inhibit competition, and perform extortion. At least for this act, Congresswoman Lofgren and Congressman Issa appear to serve the public interest. If you're one of their constituents, please drop them an email -- they deserve a pat on the back.

Random trivia: The lyrics of Avenue Q's "The Internet is for [rhymes with 'corn' and starts with 'P']" have been submitted for entry into the congressional record.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

It would appear that Stanford has stepped into the ring in opposition of SOPA and Protect IP: http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/onl...break-internet
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Great video here, watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Thread Information