Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat Channels

Unhappy Chat Channels

Why don't players make and join a General Chat channel instead of filling up New Player Assistance and Market Place channels with their constant personal chatter? Is it because they're too lazy to take messages to tells? Would it cause too many open chat channels?

I do like the community and the helpfulness of the players. I like to help other players too! But many times I am driven out of these 2 channels because it gets too annoying to keep open due to players deciding to sing a song, describe what they're currently leveling on or building, or just constant 1 line
    chatter
    where they say
    maybe 1 or 2 words
    and constantly
    keep hitting
    the enter key!

I also don't enjoy the form spam. C'mon people put your stuff on a connie, don't spam 10-30 items into the chat channel puleeeease!

I want to help new players and don't think it helps retain new players when their questions are ignored. Many times players ask questions in MP channel due to the chatter in NPA.

Many players are driven to close these channel even though they would like to also provide assistance.

You want to chat - make a General Chat channel!!!
    Chaos: Delite, Delicat, Delectable, Delikit, Delish & Deetara~Blight: DeeDee

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

Default Re: Chat Channels

I think the actual reason no one has made a General Chat channel isn't due to laziness-but more because there was no intent for chatter in the first place. It more or less just happens.

I doubt most people are having trouble with the concept that market=channel to sell/buy things. That said, there are times when it is very very quiet. And when it is quiet, sometimes bored people, will send a tell that isn't selling or buying related just to break the silence. After all, what harm can it do-no one saying anything anyways. And then someone else decides they want to comment on it... Pretty soon you have "chatter" going on in market. None of these people probably intended to start a conversation in market-it just sorta happened. If there was a General Chat- that would mean these folks had a foresight to actually have a conversation which isn't the case here.

I'll admit, I'll talk in market from time to time to make a comment that isn't market related at all in that channel. It's wasn't like I was planning to. I have that channel open all the time so I can watch it in case someone is selling something I really want. Then someone posts an off topic comment that I find funny-so I reply. Simple as that.

So you're asking "why don't I just move my chatter to another channel". Simple. I made a comment or two - but I am not planning on making a huge conversation out of it. I just wanted to reply to what someone else said. Course that doesn't mean the chatter will end there. Maybe someone else will comment on what I said. Maybe I reply to the person. So on and so forth.

And really there isn't a simple way to end this. Even if the General Chat Channel existed, it doesn't mean people will then stop chattering in market or NPA. We're people. Friendly people at that-and chatter will always happen anywhere there is a large gathering of us.

As for the formula spamming, that can be due to the fact that the connie limits the amount of stacks you can put into it. And if you are selling 10-30 forms chances are you are going to hit that limit easily and still have leftover forms to sell. And some of those forms won't sell-so in essence you just wasted time and money even listing it there. It may annoy you, but all these people want to do is sell their stuff and make some coin. It's market right? That's what it is for.

If the chatter gets annoying, why not simply use the /ignore command? That's why we have it. It's probably easier than trying to force people out of the channel to somewhere else.
    Last edited by Xanthia; October 30th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Delite View Post
    Why don't players make and join a General Chat channel instead of filling up New Player Assistance and Market Place channels with their constant personal chatter? Is it because they're too lazy to take messages to tells? Would it cause too many open chat channels?

I do like the community and the helpfulness of the players. I like to help other players too! But many times I am driven out of these 2 channels because it gets too annoying to keep open due to players deciding to sing a song, describe what they're currently leveling on or building, or just constant 1 line
    chatter
    where they say
    maybe 1 or 2 words
    and constantly
    keep hitting
    the enter key!

I also don't enjoy the form spam. C'mon people put your stuff on a connie, don't spam 10-30 items into the chat channel puleeeease!

I want to help new players and don't think it helps retain new players when their questions are ignored. Many times players ask questions in MP channel due to the chatter in NPA.

Many players are driven to close these channel even though they would like to also provide assistance.

You want to chat - make a General Chat channel!!!
    Think you have missed the purpose of what a chat channel is;

To chat, thats what people do.

Name of the channel is irrelevant
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

lol, too funny

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post

If constant bs chatter is the purpose of the chat channels, why are there so many channels?

Here, let me draw you a diagram so you can easily understand the purpose of the various in-game chat channels:

|_______________|

| Trading items|
    |Creation request|
    |____________|

I don't have a problem with the majority of the comments, but when the channel is used for over an hour to hold a personal conversation (think this one lasted more like 4 hours), that is way over the top!

I do NOT want to know if someone's house smells like a cesspit? C'mon really is this appropriate conversation?

I don't care to hear that you are getting pale orbs and iron is next - c'mon take to your own guild channel, send it by group,or use tells. That's what those are for!

All I'm asking is for players to have the courtesy not to monopolize the channels and thus drive other players, who want to help, out of the channels!

While I do purr over milk, give me a huge mug of flavored coffee, I'll be ecstatic!

One thing I find particularly annoying is when a player asks for assistance and gets grouped...rather than the 2 then taking their conversation to group, they continue their entire conversation in Market or another chat channel. Then it's a blow by blow of being attacked by xyz mob ad nauseam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Just another typical off topic chat example:

[10/30/11 21:13:38] [MarketPlace: Gnomestomper] The American consumers are mathematical idiots. People actually buy those advertised $50 gold replicas thinking they're getting something. The ad even says there's gold on the coin. Yeah, 14 mg. That's .014 grams. Even at $1000 an ounce for gold that's like 45 cents of gold.

[10/30/11 21:14:58] [MarketPlace: Gnomestomper] The ad says the price of gold is "skyrocketing". Well, it'd have to reach the outer edge of the galaxy to be worth the $50 you paid for it.

[10/30/11 21:15:12] [MarketPlace: iumentum] lol

[10/30/11 21:15:37] [MarketPlace: Agrael] lol

[10/30/11 21:16:40] [MarketPlace: Delish] perfect example

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post

It's frustrating if you're trying to use the various channels to filter your experience and can't do it, though. For instance, say a player was interested in trading, talking to their guildmates, and NOT interested in talking to newbies. In a perfect world they'd join Marketplace, Awesome_Guild_Channel, and NOT join New Player. In Delite's rant they'd promptly be foiled by people talking everywhere about everything. It's not a flip-a-table-and-rage-unsubscribe-to-the-game caliber of problem, but yeah, depending on your preferences it can be maddening.

(Disclaimer: if I have to listen to another person narrate their crafting project blow by blow or discuss the sorry story of their life in Marketplace one more time, I am going to fly down to Carmo's inn and flip every single table in the establishment.)

My sympathies Delite, I can't remember the last time Order had that level of digression in Marketplace that didn't involve Amon ambling through or Adwz serving a batch of klava. I guess our quite sleepiness works out sometimes! (Note, self: next time in game attempt to resurrect General chat again. Still don't know why nobody uses it.)

A market is a place where people meet people to chat at the same time things are bought and sold.
    Isn' one of the purposes of this game (and games like this) to socialize?

I don't care about the progress of something build either, if you don't take part in it it is rather annoying but other non buy/sell related conversations can be really enjoyable.

Sometimes a conversation starts in market and it goes on just because people forget to change channels, that can happen, no need to bite someones head off.

I personally, even when I don't like every conversation going on on market, hate it even more when someone starts a "this is market channel, take your chat elsewhere" on market. Lighten up. Although it is annoying sometimes, it is no crime.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

While there may be extreme cases, I personnally prefer when a channel is not dead silent during hours and hours.

Not on Chaos - so cant comment on specifics.

There was another recent rant thread re: Order MP and people who were RPing or not RPing in said channel.

As Lung said - my comment there was "if noone else is talking what does it hurt to chat in a chat channel?"

Now, I would say there are instances where its unnecessary/over the top/rude/disruptive etc. which to me would either mean 1-you have a right to ignore someone or 2-you have the right to ask them (POLITELY) to take it elsewhere.

For example -

As someone else said above - people in a group and then proceed to talk in MP instead of the group channel. I would take it upon myself to go "um hey guys, seriously, you hgave a group chat please use it - noone really wants to hear your play by play of your group - thats what group chat is for"

If someone is giving me a play by play of their crafting or adventuring - same thing "hey could you please not keep us constantly updated - why don't we talk about something everyone can talk about instead of your personal gameplay?"

Now - I will say on Order Dragon Chat - I yhave been known to say things like "hrnmm..cant remember what I was doing when I logged..." or "YEAAA blahblah is finished! time to work on XYZ1" Course, I only do this when the channel is dead AND its an attempt to get SOMEONE to repondn and talk because things have been *crickets* for two hours.

So maybe, that person is hoping someone will engage them in something more intereesting - maybe its an attempt to generate chat in an otherwise dead channel (because as I said before - if its a dead channel - why not?). And maybe if you ask them nicely to not talkaboutXYZ, but instead open up a line of discussion about something EVERYONE can contribute - it will stop.

If someone is giving you their life story - hrm...might be more here than simply irrelevant chat info. This could be someone who is very young,or just someone who..has..issues (unless its their full RP story - but again you could ask them to take itelsewehre as its not an RP chat room). In which case Id probably just ignore them - because trying to engage them isn't going to get you anywhere (if the have issues...) and it might get you personal attention yoou didn't want (from said person..).

But no - if you are expecting ONLY trading advertisements in MP then you are defying the laws of being human - because its just human to start chatting when a bunch of people sit around.

I know of NO game where the trade channel is exclusively used for trading and never has daily chit-chat...LOL At least, Ive never seen one like that...LOL.

But again depending on purpose and what is being said - it can be entirely reasonable to politely ask someone to take it private or to another channel (much like youo might direct a new player to the new player channel or on how to use group chat..)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Really????? LOL even more!

I have personally left MarketPlace channel several times over the past few days that I have been back in the game because of nonsensical chatter. I have my tabs set up to flash when something happens in that tab and it is quite annoying to click over to the MP channel expecting to see something for sale or someone requesting some item to be made, and I see Dragons in there propositioning people to be their mates. Or another time people were discussing some ridiculous 45 minute discussion on how to find xx item for a quest, and where to go after that, and why the quest wasn't working nicely.

I mean really... a 45 minute discussion on working through a quest is quite annoying especially when other people are desiring things to be made for them. So you have to read every 4th line to find out what is needed to be made etc.. etc...

If you are not new to the game, you should know how to open a new chat channel and invite those interested into the channel. If you are working on a building project with several people, you can do the same thing. Be courteous to your fellow players and don't hold a 4 hour world building conversation in Market Place, that is definitely not the place to have it, unless you are advertising the fact that you have placed a monetary value per unit applied to the place. That would actually be a Market Place discussion. The whole, I just finished up all the Bright spheres, now Im working on the Obsidian Keys.. is not quite appropriate when out of the 50 people in the channel, only 4 are actually spamming the channel with the mundane chatter associated with crafting a building for the masses.

On a side note... It is quite appreciated that the building is completed, as I used it for about 4 hours today.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I also have found it very hard to get REPLYS on Market Place. Most of this is because people are using this as a chat room instead of what its intended for. So lets keep personal chat for personal chat and Market Place for Market business.

Ok, this has gone on long enough. I just returned last week to the game. Let me give you some perspective. If you think the amount of chat is excessive your kidding yourselves. Go to any I said any game and look at the market chats. Phft, this is nothing even compared to 3 years ago, Where you had 150 to 200 people using this one chat room.

I have noticed no one talks anymore and now I see the problem. This is an MMO with a community not a morgue.

If you like no chat play a single player game or leave the market chat because you rarely if at all sell anything. The chat channels are a ghost town compared when we really had a population.

Get over it and quit trying to control others speech. You are not talking so why complain when conversation goes on? What your not in it? Well join it then and have fun. This is a game not a library.

I am Gnomestomper. I freely admit I was probably the cause of this debacle. However, I would like to point out a few things in my defense. I play this game between 12 and 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm not so much an adventurer as a builder and crafter. So, while I'm out digging slate out of Snowfall or kenaf out of Heather I start a node that takes like three or four minutes to deplete. During that time I can't do much else but monitor the chat channels. I have six tabs open all the time and continuously switch between them. If I have a comment to make on a conversation, I'm going to say it, regardless of which channel it's on. At times I have a thought I feel might be humorous to others so I'll post it, sometimes on multiple channels to reach a larger audience. To invite people to a private chat to say what I want is sort of like sending a letter to your spouse that dinner is ready or ask them to pass the remote when they're sitting right next to you. People are spontaneous and having to move to some other chat is ridiculous.
    As for people sometimes not getting answers or not getting replies to buy/sell requests, if there's no one in the channel that knows the answer or wants to purchase or sell the item in question, do you REALLY want fifty people saying "I don't know" or "I don't want that"???? People only respond positively to that type of question.
    Now, I have been known to go out of my way to help new people get good equipment, I've worked on community projects, I answer as many questions as I can about where things are and how to complete quests. In all honesty, I feel I'm an asset to the community. I may have missed the occasions Delikit has done the same, but I cannot recall the last time in three months she's done so. So, if Delikit still wants to dictate what I say and do, or for that matter any other player, I propose she offer to pay our subscription fees. Then maybe, just maybe, she'll have enough moral authority to do so. As for me, I have three plot owner subs at $14.95 each per month. If requested, I'll provide the address she can send my monthly checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnarf View Post
    I also have found it very hard to get REPLYS on Market Place. Most of this is because people are using this as a chat room instead of what its intended for. So lets keep personal chat for personal chat and Market Place for Market business.
    It's probably because people don't have what you want or don't want what you have and has nothing to do with people chatting.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbgardner View Post
    As for people sometimes not getting answers or not getting replies to buy/sell requests, if there's no one in the channel that knows the answer or wants to purchase or sell the item in question, do you REALLY want fifty people saying "I don't know" or "I don't want that"???? People only respond positively to that type of question.
    On Order, I never see more than 25-30 players in Market Place at most. I am also among those who acknowledge others' questions, at least to let them know we haven't 'x' or don't want 'y', in a polite way. Personally, when I ask for something to trade on Marketplace, I prefer to see negative replies than a dead silence.

Perhaps people who want to keep market strictly for buying/selling should open a new market channel. As a player made one you can kick peopl out if they don't do what you want. Problem solved.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

On Order, I never see more than 25-30 players in Market Place at most. I am also among those who acknowledge others' questions, at least to let them know we haven't 'x' or don't want 'y', in a polite way. Personally, when I ask for something to trade on Marketplace, I prefer to see negative replies than a dead silence.
    Not trying to be argumentative, but is there really any difference between a negative reply and no reply? Personally I'd rather see no reply since negative replies might scroll the original post out of sight and people could fail to see it.

Thread Information