Thread: SWTOR: the death of sandboxes?

Hybrid View

Default SWTOR: the death of sandboxes?

So, I'm half listening/ half watching my boyfriend play SWTOR over my shoulder.

It's .... extremely linear. Even walking around the world is very linear. Really?

I mean, to the point where he started a new character to catch up to his other one just on a slightly different path and the only difference in the quests was the omission of the word 'slave' to refer to his character. Everything else was worded and pathed exactly the same.

Maybe I'm jaded because I'm in Skyrim, but... really? Why the heck would you want tracks and rails in an MMO? How do you get enjoyment out if that?

Default Re: SWTOR: the death of sandboxes?

Keep in mind that for many gamers the enjoyment is not in the journey, but in reaching the end, in completing the game, in achieving the finale. Just like for some gamers the enjoyment is in the journey or the collection of things or the social aspects.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Which is fine in theory, but you can't exactly 'beat' an MMO...

Doesn't stop some gamers from trying to! XD

Considering Skyrim's success, I really don't see how this would be the death of sandboxes. xD
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    Considering Skyrim's success, I really don't see how this would be the death of sandboxes. xD
    yes, Skyrim`s success really makes me wonder.
    ALL I know play it. Even those who never/rarely play on comp
    (the hard-core pen and paper folks). Even those who never"Play" at all (they`ve been told to try it- or regret it for rest of life^^)

Noone I know on TOR (for the tests) only a friend wants to but- can`t affort.
    Might be some more later..
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Which is fine in theory, but you can't exactly 'beat' an MMO...
    In my opinion, since MMOs are "forever" (at least the good ones are) People set their own goals. Be it short-term or very long-term. That's the sign of a good game that will let someone achieve what they want to and still have an interest in the core of the game.

Some players play simply to cause the displeasure of other players.. while still others will only ever play a healing class and help folks. Everyone is different. If you can get out of a game whatever your goal is, then it's a success to that person.

But that's just how I see it.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Its funny how the era of "f2p" has led to the idea that we are somehow entitled to "free" games from the get go. Forgetting the millions and millions and millions of dollars that no you cannot make back in the first few months; unless you're a juggernaut.

On top of that, dev companies get very little from box sales - most of that goes tot he publisher.

You knwo what pisses *me* Off - digital download games that cost the same as they do when you get a physical box. No reason for that one but $$...if I don't get a physical CD, Box, and Booklet..why is it costing me more?

ANd thats' why I won't buy digital downloads of new games; I go and get what I pay for..thank you very much =D.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information