Thread: Linux Install Guide =D

Talking Linux Install Guide =D

OK first off your mileage (km) may very...
    This post is a work in progress, doing it from memory, but I'll update it when I can.
    I am using Ubuntu 11.10 x64

You will need a few things.
    -wine (the Wine is not a Windows Emulator version, not the stuff you drink, although ...)
    -java (jre is fine) (Also, Java to drink is a good idea too, I wouldn't mix it with the ^wine though...)
    -Istaria

Go get wine and Java. Use your Linux Flavors Package Manager to get it.
    example for ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine java
    Install Istaria with wine.
    Code:
    wine setup.exe
    Now we need to fix some font issues...
    ChesterBr from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...04&postcount=8 wrote the folowing:
    1) Create a "settings.txt" file with your favorite text editor (vi, emacs or the Gnome Text Editor under Acessories) with the following three lines:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\X11 Driver]
    "ClientSideWithRender"="N"
    "ClientSideWithCore"="N"
    (there should be no extra spaces - for example, a space before or after the equal (=) symbol will cause you trouble).

b) Execute the following command:
    regedit settings.txt

c) Run a wine app, for example:
    winecfg
    Now that all of that is done, lets get ready to play Istaria.

1. Go to /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Istaria
    - replace username with your linux username.

2. Find the JavaLauncherII.jar file and make a link, copy that to your desktop. You can fancy up the link on the desktop with a nice Istaria Logo from Google if you really want to, rename it , you know, make it look respectable...

3. Right Click the link on the desktop you just created in step 2, and go to "Properties" in the menu, go to "Permissions" Tab, and make sure to check the "Allow Executing the file as a program" box. Now go to the "Open With" tab and make sure to set the default application as Java (whatever version you are using, in my case its Sun Java 6 Runtime).

4. Launch the ... erm ... Launcher ... log in, and under the Troubleshooting button (at the character select screen), make sure to disable hardware checking (as your using wine to run the application, so no need to check for hardware) and the first time you run, make sure to do a full scan.

5. After that, make sure to disable hardware checking, and patching ... for some reason, every time you run the launcher, it ALWAYS wants to do a full scan, this can get annoying... so turn it off. If you need to patch, turn it back on... you get the drill.

That's it. I have Istaria running perfectly on my Ubuntu Desktop. Smooth, no laggy junk like it used to be. works pretty darn well imho.

~Crenshinibon <Strata> of the Order Shard.

Questions, Comments, Concerns, Feedback, Gripes, Complaints, and (good) Criticism are welcome
    Last edited by phreekbird; December 17th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Thread Information