Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many actual new players are there really?

Default How many actual new players are there really?

I have been for a bit now, and wandering around the new players areas, spirit isle, NT, and kion, I notice a few things.

First, there are at times what appear to be new players, but on closer examination they are alts of other regular players.

Second, you see a lot of dragon hatchlings, but again, they are either on the 14 day trial or are alts.

So, my conclusion is that there are few is any actual new players joining... NOT saying none, but am saying very few.

It is expected that vertrium is not advertising the game to speak of, so what can we as players do?

As an accomplished player, I can of course work on getting GMC, or all the newer t6 forms or work on building a plot. But this is an mmorpg after all, and I would rather do things together with others.

There seems to be little excitement in players. It's almost like folks just want to chat a bit and play solo, with very little banding together to accomplish anything.

Unlike the early days when there were mines to build and bridges to construct, it is all just status quo today.

Any suggestions on what WE as players can do to liven things up or even spread the word more?

Naked Dryad races anyone? First newbie to the bottom of the dead pool race? Find the hidden dryad events?
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Default Re: How many actual new players are there really?

Aamer, I like the enthusiasm you spread, since you are back

My 2 cent (me, a player who never left,
    and played on different shards )regarding your post here, might not exactly answer to your questions, but..well anyway:

Your are right in my eyes: Not many new players in Istaria. And 2third of them leave, before they could say, the`d played the game
    (but those who stay became precious members of our community).
    Why is that so? We tried to find out in different threads (you may want to read)
    I shall not repeat, but 2 main reasons as far as I can see:
    The game is still very demanding, not easy to play compared with other mmorpgs. Though Vi did a lot to make esp. the first 20 level easier- it still is too hard for some. You still need brain and patience to succeed.
    And it really should not made more easy now.
    But more important: You need some social competence, some education and the will to migrate to our community. Cause WE, the vet players, decide if most of the noobs stay or leave. This might be very unique in the world of mmorpgs. But that is the situation since a long time now.
    Vet players: Curse or blessing? Who will tell? But this is another issue.
    I myself (to make a long story short) am not willing to help, teach or support players, who do not try to find out alone first, or who do not communicate in approppriate manner. Shoot me for that. I do not care.
    I am too old for such- in both worlds.

What can we do to get/keep more new players? Lots of threads about that in this forum too.
    I say: Everyone should do what he/she could do best to work for the game.
    I have a list of things Flame and me do. Only a small contribution. But it works.

Maybe you are right with another point: Excitement.
    But there is silent enjoing instead. Smile instead laughter. Understand?
    Lets face the truth: Times have changed, we have changed, gameworlds have changed.
    And Istaria will never be what it was when all started.
    But maybe a continual smile is more precious than a short term laughing fit.

Wish you success with all you try and do

Lov
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; January 9th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Aamer, I like the enthusiasm you spread, since you are back

My 2 cent (me, a player who never left,
    and played on different shards )regarding your post here, might not exactly answer to your questions, but..well anyway:

Your are right in my eyes: Not many new players in Istaria. And 2third of them leave, before they could say, the`d played the game
    (but those who stay became precious members of our community).
    Why is that so? We tried to find out in different threads (you may want to read)
    I shall not repeat, but 2 main reasons as far as I can see:
    The game is still very demanding, not easy to play compared with other mmorpgs. Though Vi did a lot to make esp. the first 20 level easier- it still is too hard for some. You still need brain and patience to succeed.
    And it really should not made more easy now.
    But more important: You need some social competence, some education and the will to migrate to our community. Cause WE, the vet players, decide if most of the noobs stay or leave. This might be very unique in the world of mmorpgs. But that is the situation since a long time now.
    Vet players: Curse or blessing? Who will tell? But this is another issue.
    I myself (to make a long story short) am not willing to help, teach or support players, who do not try to find out alone first, or who do not communicate in approppriate manner. Shoot me for that. I do not care.
    I am too old for such- in both worlds.

What can we do to get/keep more new players? Lots of threads about that in this forum too.
    I say: Everyone should do what he/she could do best to work for the game.
    I have a list of things Flame and me do. Only a small contribution. But it works.

Maybe you are right with another point: Excitement.
    But there is silent enjoing instead. Smile instead laughter. Understand?
    Lets face the truth: Times have changed, we have changed, gameworlds have changed.
    And Istaria will never be what it was when all started.
    But maybe a continual smile is more precious than a short term laughing fit.

Wish you success with all you try and do

Lov
    I second this. While I see several players not staying for long, some do and most prove to be nice people. As veteran players, the best we can do is to let them a chance and smile to them as they join for the first time. I have met several nice new players who became my friends, since I have started the game.

I have played ista for about 5 years. Back when it was called Horizons and i still refer to it as such.

I believe there was once a spread the word program in which if you advertised ista say on facebook or on a blog you were given an extra plot by virtrium. I think they will still do this so thats an option to get the game out. I also know people post lots of youtube videos.
    Other then that i am not sure what they are doing to get the game out if anything. But
    I agree with lovs posts.

I am always willing to help. Unless ofcourse im busy doing something else then i will ask the player to wait. But this is given that the new player either sent me a tell and politely using please and thank you asked if i could help them.. its even better if they strike up a conversation first and then ask.

However, when it is the latter which it usually is. and i get a tell or a person in nt or some town who is screaming (meaning all caps) HELP DO THIS FOR ME NOW!
    usually my first response is not to say "oh dear how can i help you."
    because i have found that most of the time the issue is
    -didnt read the quest
    -is to lazy to do it themselves
    -wants to be powerleveled
    -never say thank you or show any greatfulness.

Yet even if i am in a good mood i will say, Whats wrong and offer valid suggestions like "you should re read your quest," or i give them coordinates on the map where they should look. and in a lot of cases i will say something like "demanding things is not the way to get help around here... most players will appreciate a please and a thank you."

anyhow i guess where i am going with this is yes a lot of the new players dont last long, and some times they can be very demanding, however there are also great new players and friendly and appreciative.

I believe the beginning of the game is why we have such a great community.
    The challenges it presents shifts who can make it and who cant.

The people like i mentioned who are demanding and whiney, dont last past the trial (usually.) the people who are patient and kind and greatful make it into the community and are accepted (usually)

Personally i am greatful that there are not a TON of new players, because the ones who do stick around are usually who make the community so great.

*tosses 2 coppers in the pot*

No Virtrium does not have any advertizing for the game however, they do invite us players to advertize via screenshots, and videos.
    I myself use deviantart to post all my Istaria screenshots. just gotta make sure you put a disclaimer in the description
    e.g.: image belongs to Virtrium from the MMORPG Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted

then post the homepage`s link.

Also post gameplay, or any videos up on Youtube. And put the disclaimer, and homepage link in there too.

there`s also Tumblr, Photobucket, and a few other image sites ^^

price plays a big part of this
    while some may like the current sub costs others may not when compared to other games for equivalent fee

I can see price playing a part in lack of built plots, but it shouldn't negate playing it. Istaria's free to play options match up against other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    I myself use deviantart to post all my Istaria screenshots. just gotta make sure you put a disclaimer in the description
    e.g.: image belongs to Virtrium from the MMORPG Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted

then post the homepage`s link.
    Spamming an art website with simple screenshots is not the way to endear that community to the source of your screenshots.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

We are open to any suggestions in order to attract new players through Internet. It is good to see people putting effort in trying to make Istaria's community grow, by posting screenshots like by other means, and then to welcome new players and make them love the game and its community.

I've met many new players who are, to say the least, disturbing. They just want someone to power level them or give them everything they need. If that type of person doesn't stay with us, I don't care.

I think if people who were playing free or trying the game could play other than a human it might keep them around longer. But I am not sure.

The game has always seemed easier to me than other games. For one thing, if you die, you don't lose xp like you do in other games. And I think the crafting is much easier than in other games.

I strongly believe the lack of advertising hurts a lot.

Cixi gnome extraordinaire
    FREE Rachival NOW !

I was AKF when you logged in last night and said hello in NPC and MP, I'm also Chainsaw btw, and welcome back. I also noticed when I came back to game that no one had returned you're greeting cept for 1 person. I'm also a returning veteran from a stint with the game Rift and noticed a few things.

1) way to many hatchlings that thankfully stay in NT and keep their annoying
    antics confined to that region.

2) allot of free play humans that quit.(yes i help them with gear and place on friends list after helping them only to see empty circles every time I log)

3) the loss of many veterans, or just log on to keep up on new content.

4) Friendly has been replaced with absolute quiet with the occasional dragon vs peds or unfair rare items distribution discussions.

5) complete lack of epic battles(that LBA is still outside Aug) or few high rating peds that can make a difference.

6) tons of new semi high rating peds and lvl 100 dragons I never saw b4 and I've been playing a long time.

There are some nice people in this game who are very helpful, but I wouldn't say Istaria is a game to play cause of the great community. I see sarcastic replies to questions, the same items asked for from dragons that think they can be flying within the 2 weeks they have here, same old I want what's not in game anymore and dragons dragons dragons.

And no, I don't dislike the current state of the game, and I will keep playing, but this is what I see. Heck there isn't even a Epic Battles chat anymore.

Visiting Chaos since a few days, I understand what Aamer and Riaken are talking about.
    Chaos changed dramatically as far as I can see.

Some of what is said here does not fit for Order.
    Order people play together and talk together and interact all over the shard, and there are key players who keep us all together.
    And though we made similar experiences with "strange" new players, we proudly can say that there is a strong and wonderful "next generation".

I am happy to meet old friends on Chaos. It warms my heart that they are still here and greeted me welcome. But lots of players left. Maybe guild leaders can do anything to bring people together.
    Or use other sources (like we do on Order) to call player back (msn, skype, mail aso).
    Maybe guild leader or experienced vet-player should get together and organize small events or hunts.

Whatsoever-we can`t wait until someone does something.
    I think, everyone should contribute something. Now.
    Last edited by LOVWYRM; January 10th, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Seeing some new players demanding help and being not polite don't mean we should leave NT and new players' areas, as it would let the nice new players alone, and we'd miss the occasion to meet and befriend them.
    Gladly, most of Order's community is nice and welcoming, for new players as well as for returning ones.

Compared to most who've replied here, I'm a new player...Morinare is a bit over 6-months old now, and he's my very first experience with Istaria. I can't speak to anything on Chaos shard, as I've not once logged-in there. As for Order, I've found a very friendly, welcoming community, and not just among other dragons, although I'll admit I do interact with other dragons more than with bipeds. But, even that has changed, as I've joined Scions (shameless plug for the Guild) and have found an equally friendly, welcoming bunch of folks there.

With Morinare and I both being "hatchlings" when I began playing Istaria, I got a LOT of help, advice, suggestions from veteran players...and, I think, I got it so willingly because I'd done my homework before asking my questions. I've pored over the Forums, the Wiki, and every other place I could find that had information about Istaria, and, THEN, I asked my questions.

On Order, I've never had a problem finding another player/character willing to help, and, now that I'm in a position where I can offer genuine assistance to newer players, I'm more than happy to do so...as long as that newer player is willing to do the bulk of the work, and is realistic and reasonable in what they want. "I'm on the 14-day trial and I want to do my RoP! Help me level!!!" Uhm, no.
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

I try not to be ignoring anyone in any channel im in. Though I found that I often was when on group hunts. My solution is to only be in New Player chat when I'm crafting or hunting solo and have time to answer or be of help. Ive always only used MP when I have something to sell or I'm looking to buy something so I cant speak to the overall behaviour of the room but its seldom that I feel nobody has replied in a suitable amount of time. Though I'm certainly not new so maybe that changes my response times. Oh this is on Order, I haven't been on Chaos in years so can't speak to it.

Forgive me, I'm relatively new to this scene (100 days +/-). First, to answer the thread title question: I only play as my Human, no alts.

I've noticed a few threads lately concerning Community and How many New Player, etc. I see this thread devolving to another Community related thread, but for what it's worth, here's my two cents

1. The fact that there are people who ARE genuinely concerned for the game and community aspect speaks volumes!
    -I play on Chaos, and though I rarely ASK for help, I'm wise enough to do it with tact. I've been approached by other players, out of the blue, asking if I need help with anything. Sometimes based on a single three line conversation from weeks ago! I've made several new friends I can call upon in times of need.

2. I believe in any game, you're going to get those needy, rude, or ignorant types. Whether they're 14 day trial drop outs, F2P humans who hang around forever and use the game as Istaria:Chat, or whatever. We're going to get the bad with the good. The game itself washes-out those who aren't committed. It's a blessing and a curse they are mostly confined to NT. Keeps them off the main roads, but is the first impression potentially good new players get.

3. Sadly, I believe there's too many posts about the problematic types of newbies. From an outsider perspective it MAY give an unrealistically unfriendly appearance to the community. I understand we (more so the 'Older' players perhaps) get frustrated and need to vent from time to time. As a community we should be cognizant of how that makes us appear to outsiders.

4. In NPA, if someone asks a question, those who don't know the answer don't respond, making it look DEAD. I try (not 100 successful) to at least tell them I don't know. This way they know they were at least heard by someone. Thankfully there are a few Veteran players who do have most of the answers and are willing to share their secrets

So how do we attract new players?

Yes Lack of Advertising makes this a very Word-of-Mouthy game. Sure it limits the audience, but at the same time we invite/initiate those who we think would be good players. Quality over Quantity. The 'Spread the Word' program looks great, but if you really read the requirements, its monthly maintenance. I'd rather pay $15 dollars each month than spend an hour or more writing reviews and such.

Stay Positive! I've told a few people (noobish types) "This is a great game with people willing to help, but you have to prove you're willing to take the first steps. You have to crawl before you can run. And Common Courtesy goes a LONG way around here." Some take this to heart, some just run away. A few of the veteran players are jaded, sure. I feel sorry for the Ancient Dragons who get mobbed every time they show up in NT. Maybe it just comes with the territory though. Shutting people down right away or ignoring them, for whatever reason, just gives the wrong impression of the community, and makes the game look like a Gated Community.

If the first real impression of the game people get is in NT, shouldn't we have people there who are willing to be positive and help people? Wouldn't THAT help bring new people in? Maybe the Ancient Dragons could move out for a while and see if that changes the dynamic of the area. Lets admit, NT doesn't have the best reputation right now. Would the baby hatchlings stop hanging around and doing RP? Would it change the way the Game is perceived? No offense to anyone, but some times is looks like a garden of dragon statues there. When I first started I didn't know what to think or who was an NPC or a player.

Well that little diatribe is my two cents, for what it's worth.

-Proctorr

Very good post, Proctorr, and you make very good points that apply just as well to Order Shard, where I spend all of my time (enough trouble keeping track of my dragon there!). I will say that, *most* of the time when NT has a few adult/ancient dragons sitting around, all are willing to help or offer suggestions/guidance...most of us, I'd guess, would prefer doing it via RP, but, we'll quickly hop OOC if necessary.

NT *should* be welcoming to the truly new player...it would also be very nice if older, veteran biped players were also there...I've had some fascinating RP with a few two-legged folks, where there was just the right feel of "tension" between races while also having the feel of two people trying to learn about the other.
    Cogito, ergo sum Draconem.

Actually I'm quite new too, playing for less than 5 months.

I found the community on Order really nice and helpful, but I also noticed the (quite normal after all) reticence towards the newcomers. Which is completely understandable when an important percentage of them are the "powerlevel me now" and "come and kill 20 bronze golems for me now" type.

Regarding the game, I must say that from the perspective of a total newcomer, you need a quite high degree of tolerance to annoyances like the general game lag - mobs are appearing with quite some delay, you need like 20 seconds till you can speak with an npc after you get near him, getting killed by invisible mobs - and also the client instability like sudden crash to desktop or client getting irresponsive during teleports.

Still the game is nice and I have to mention that i Love the Dragons and DCRA, not so much the Lairshaping part but still.
    Biped multiclassing is a marvelous concept, but i found that biped crafting is mind-boggling - part of the reason the biped on my free account is still lvl16 while the Dragon is well developed

Northwind,
    Ancient Helian, 100 crafter, 69 lairshaper and growing, Drift Point Lair under construction.

I'm constantly getting new subscriptions to my youtube channel despite not adding to it for almost a year. Many of the comments I get are game questions from new players, so I digress from your assessment.

Hello I'm new here.
    I'm testing out the trial at the moment and I think that most of the players are friendly. Some Ancients helped me with quest after I asked them.
    I will maybe start to pay for this great game and to keep playing it, but it is bad to see that only 30-60 people are online in the whole game . (Im talking about Order)

Ads could help. I found this game randomly by a video on youtube.
    Last edited by Hanspeter_Schnitzel; January 24th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

Thread Information