Thread: New version of Jlauncher being a pain

Default New version of Jlauncher being a pain

Ever since the new version of jlauncher was patched, I have been experiencing some seriously annoying problems with it.

It takes this new launcher anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get from launched to usable. During this time, it appears as a black box on my screen. During this time, my firewall/antivirus responds as if to a five-alarm fire: I get a message "checkforIstaria<19-digit random number>.vbs is trying to access a protected COM interface" at least twice before the launcher becomes usable. Hitting "remember my answer" before hitting "allow" does nothing, as that long-*** number changes each time.

Then when the launcher is running and i have selected a character to play as and hit play, the launcher appears to freeze for a further 2 minutes while i get more warnings about "checkforIstaria<numberofdoom>.vbs" accessing things it shouldn't.

Can we have this fixed pleased? Something ain't right if it takes more time to get through the launcher than to get through the patcher, and something really isn't right that it is spinning of processes left and right that make my security software think it's D-Day.

Default Re: New version of Jlauncher being a pain

I don't have any of these problems. I'm on windows 7 64-bit.

I double click the icon, 2 seconds later Im able to choose my account and login. I do so with a quickness and then my little dwarven legs go about doing there thing. The game loads up between 20 seconds and 1 minute; depending if I do a full scan or not.

Maybe try un-installing and re-installing the launcher?

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

To be sure that your desktop shortcut is pointing at the launcher, try opening your Istaria install folder c:\program files (x86)\istaria or c:\program files\istaria and double clicking jlauncher.exe

Istaria doesn't use any VBS scripts for launching or operating. The launcher itself is a Java application.
    <CORRECTION: A VBS script is used to check if another copy of Istaria is running>

All files that are released to the patch servers go through two different anti-virus scanning programs and all servers have locked down internet security, so we're quite sure that files are safe and secure.

If you need further help, please submit a support ticket (along with what security scanning software you use) at https://support.istaria.com

Amarie
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; February 2nd, 2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Correction to script

definitely executing jlauncher.exe in the /Istaria folder. Submitting ticket now.

This seems like it has just as much to do with your antivirus as the launcher.

Have you tried to exclude the horizons program directory from any AV/firewall rules? It looks like the Hz java launcher is running some .vbs file(s) for whatever reason, and the AV is not allowing it or interfering. Which kind of makes sense from the AV's point of view... that is a very strange program behavior.
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    ...During this time, my firewall/antivirus responds as if to a five-alarm fire: I get a message "checkforIstaria<19-digit random number>.vbs
    What firewall/antivirus is this? Also, are you running any player-contributed software?
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Comodo Internet Security, and no.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    This seems like it has just as much to do with your antivirus as the launcher.

Have you tried to exclude the horizons program directory from any AV/firewall rules? It looks like the Hz java launcher is running some .vbs file(s) for whatever reason, and the AV is not allowing it or interfering. Which kind of makes sense from the AV's point of view... that is a very strange program behavior.
    Yes, the entire /Istaria folder is excluded, as well as all of the offending files individually.

whatever is causing this problem, it did not occur until the newest version of the java launcher rolled in, the previous version worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarie Ancalimon View Post
    Istaria doesn't use any VBS scripts for launching or operating. The launcher itself is a Java application.
    thats not fully true. In the JavaLauncherII.jar there is a line "File file = File.createTempFile("checkforIstaria", ".vbs");" which seems to make a vbs-script to check, if istaria.exe is runnng. But i'm not a programmer, so thats just my opinion of it

I noticed that these vbs-files are left in the temp-folder then.

Contents of a file called checkforIstaria5284507108454651134.vbs:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set locator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
    Set service = locator.ConnectServer()
    Set processes = service.ExecQuery _
     ("select * from Win32_Process where name='istaria.exe'")
    For Each process in processes
    wscript.echo process.ExecutablePath  
    Next
    Set WSHShell = Nothing

you're doing better than i am, because i can not use new jlauncher to this day. it asks if i want to let it run, i agree, but appears in blue box and after agreeing to let it run, it closes out. does absolultely nothing.

Devs have looked at it and cant figure out why it won't run. i use a copy off my old XP machine and it works fine. the new one won't run in my win 7 ultimate, or win 7 home premium on 2 seperate computers. i remaned the old file to Jlauncher2.exe and i run off that one.

my xp machine never had any trouble running this game

even installing a fresh copy of the game via new dowlaod, it won't run soon as it's installed. i need to immediatly replace the jlauncher with a copy i have backed up.

has anyone else experienced the game not able to load after installing? or after an update? having to replace the jlauncher.exe file

Mine works a charm, sorry. But are you trying to run "JavaLauncherII.jar"?
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Merrik View Post
    you're doing better than i am, because i can not use new jlauncher to this day. it asks if i want to let it run, i agree, but appears in blue box and after agreeing to let it run, it closes out. does absolultely nothing.

Devs have looked at it and cant figure out why it won't run. i use a copy off my old XP machine and it works fine. the new one won't run in my win 7 ultimate, or win 7 home premium on 2 seperate computers. i remaned the old file to Jlauncher2.exe and i run off that one.

my xp machine never had any trouble running this game

even installing a fresh copy of the game via new dowlaod, it won't run soon as it's installed. i need to immediatly replace the jlauncher with a copy i have backed up.

has anyone else experienced the game not able to load after installing? or after an update? having to replace the jlauncher.exe file
    I'm having this exact same problem, except I don't have an old version of the launcher to try! I tried reinstalling the game from scratch and it's still a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrik View Post

I run Windows 7 pro (64 bit) and Windows 7 Home premium (64 bit), and both have the new launcher and run just fine. The only thing I do know is if you have 64 bit, you have to install the game into the X86 program folder.

The game will not run correctly if installed in the C:/programs folder.

Thread Information