Thread: Fun Fact

Hybrid View

Default Re: Fun Fact

I don't follow how you came up with the speed units for your premise.
    Flipping this about a bit...
    Normal biped character speed is 50.
    Average human walking speed is about 5 kph (3 mph). So perhaps speed is 10*kph? Speed at 220 would then be 22 kph (13 mph), average running speed for world champion men's marathon runner. This is a low estimate, as sprinting can kick speed up to 30-40 kph (20-25 mph).

If 220 = 130 kph by your calculation and only 22 kph by my calculations, straight forward fly speed of 50 kph by your calculations would only be 8.5 kph and diving speed of 75 kph would be about 13 kph by my calculations. I guess dragons are held aloft by magic and the known Istarian world is really, really tiny.

But it's much bigger in gnome units. :-)

It depends which server board I think is which.

I got the calculations by clocking distance vs time. I had my character Dorokane somewhere out of sight in a group with me, anchored and still. Using the group's "x meters away" system, I marked down thte initial distance and then clicked my stopwatch on, and moved Racktor forward. At the 20 second mark, I stopped him and measured distance again.

(Final Distance - Initial Distance)/time.

That equation is based off of the fact speed = Distance/time

So, I got a meters per second calculation. I then converted MPS to MPH and KPH.

I also assumed that velocity is generally the same as speed stats, and I used the amount of speed gained for each velocity point the same as speed gained for each speed point. I just multiplied 220*0.37 (which is what I came up with) to get 130kph.

The difference between our calculations, awdz, is that you're going off of the fact speed would be equal to irl speeds and using a sort of base off of that. I'm doing a more scientific math-involved approach, so we're coming up with two different answers.

~Racktor

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    IThe difference between our calculations, awdz, is that you're going off of the fact speed would be equal to irl speeds and using a sort of base off of that. I'm doing a more scientific math-involved approach, so we're coming up with two different answers.
    That makes sense. I take it you also did not adjust to the time difference between day lengths in the two different worlds? I assumed that each Istarian sun/moon cycle should equate to a 24 hour day, but obviously I did not factor in any actual time measurements into my calculation. When we talk about the calendar, though, there are several Istarian sun/moon cycles to each date.

Racktor, I think you're missing a little fact, time goes faster in istaria, just look at the various clocks spread all over the world ;P

It depends which server board I think is which.

There is almost no way for me to figure out Istaria time ._. I only used the real-life clock... but an Istarian day is 1 hour. So 1 second would be 1/24 of our seconds. I'll try to figure out speed in Istaria time...

But to our visual eye, thinking of that, we only move at the speeds I said - to Istarians in-game and in role-play, they would move much faster.

This all is, of course, assuming that Istarian time is actually different and Istaria doesn't simply rotate faster or something. And that an Istarian "meter" is the same as real life meter. xP

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    This all is, of course, assuming that Istarian time is actually different and Istaria doesn't simply rotate faster or something. And that an Istarian "meter" is the same as real life meter. xP
    Yeah, it is somewhat amusing that people often seem to figure that instead of Istaria (the planet) moving at a different rate it's in fact time itself that has to be moving at a different rate. xD
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Thread Information