Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
Now, obviously he could choose to ignore the AV warnings, but surely after this little episode....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
hahahahahahaha
hoooo....
Your optimism is enviable!

More seriously, if they CAN learn, this is the point where mom and kid probably will. But do not underestimate the number of people out there who maintain a perpetual state of when confronted with computers! It's not always who you think it is.

I do say that if you give them a lecture on the importance of safe browsing habits, you're probably best served by discussing both technical recommendations (your love of Firefox+AdBlock+NoScript is not misplaced!) and smart habits. Because when you cross the street it's safer to use the crosswalk... but it's still on you to look both ways and make sure there's no oncoming traffic before you cross.

AND: it was very nice of you to agree to play freebie tech support for these people! And I for one have been entertained reading about it. My most interesting computer troubles are easily fixed and not very interesting, so I have to live vicariously if I want to experience computer meltdowns.