Thread: helian and lunus: what do you think?

Italy... or anywhere that has pencils and paper

Default helian and lunus: what do you think?

Some weeks ago, me and xSita discussed about helian and lunus dragons. At a point we ended up talking about our faction leaders name. (she's lunus and I'm helian) We thought: helios is the greek god of sun, and luna is the italian for moon. We immediately thought of the way they looked similiar to their names. This also fits in the lore for me. What's your opinion?
    Astair Brightscale, chaos shard - seasoned dragon, expert dragon crafter and beginner lairshaper

my deviantart!

Default Re: helian and lunus: what do you think?

I believe the leaders of the helian and lunus fractions it was the last names of two generals?

Malganival Lunus < male

http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Lunus < General Lunus on istaria wiki

and

Helian < female

http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Helian < istaria wiki

Italy... or anywhere that has pencils and paper

Yes, but I thought lunus=moon=darkness and helian=sun=light. Also night and day and such :-)
    Astair Brightscale, chaos shard - seasoned dragon, expert dragon crafter and beginner lairshaper

my deviantart!

I'd have to disagree on the associations to the deity and celestial objects- simply for what said objects tend to represent:

Moon = female, intellectual, remote/aloof, cold/ice
    Sun = male, emotional, driven/passionate, hot/fire

Helios is also a god noted for making foolish, not well thought out decisions- such as allowing his son to drive the chariot once and nearly burning heaven and earth both into nothing until the chariot was struck down by Zeus. It killed his son but ended the wild ride so control could be retaken and heaven and earth saved.

That doesn't really suit Helians especially.

The pining, weeping aspect of Luna (also sometimes attributed as Selene in Roman mythology) or the more broad spectrum symbolic associations with Luna/the moon even outside of classic mythology definitely doesn't suit the Lunus (especially General Lunus) at all. While not stupid by any means, a Lunus is not given to thinking their way through a problem if they are certain they can simply dominate it with sheer strength and power. (See Khemarius and his rather exasperated note that yes, he's a Lunus and yes, he is indeed a scholar. Nod enough to how uncommon that is for that side of the Schism these days. )
    Last edited by Kyrieath; June 1st, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrieath View Post
    (See Khemarius and his rather exasperated note that yes, he's a Lunus and yes, he is indeed a scholar. Nod enough to how uncommon that is for that side of the Schism these days. )
    Maybe it's worth recalling that Wintheria, a helian from Chiconis, is the Master of Gold Rage.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

True, Northwind- but unless her text has changed when I wasn't looking/was away (and I will grant it's possible it did so, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The bulk of the gold rage quests were a long time ago for me), she doesn't note it as a peculiarity that she engages in such things. I brought Khemarius up more for his statement in regards to his chosen profession and the fact he's noted more than once in follow up dialogue that he's been a bit of a misfit/rarity among the Lunus for being a scholar.

Keeping an open mind in regards to tactics- be they magical or physical- is a trait of an intellectual such as most Helians and the rarer Lunus in the case of Khemarius. Choosing to shun one as being weaker/because it espouses a different philosophy is the trait of someone emotionally driven, fitting the attitude of the Lunus and seen less often among the Helians.

The Lunus are frequently noted to shun spellcraft in several quest texts- something noted as ironic by a quest giver at one point given General Lunus was also a primal master; it simply wasn't his first choice of combat. Something even his own faction seems prone to forgetting in wake of his physical battle prowess. As said- never claimed he was stupid or that his faction are- just that they see no need for using less direct means when they can simply dominate something through force. That attitude was one of the issues at the heart of the Schism.

-Or the short version:
    Still, Helian and Lunus (be it as the characters or the factions) don't fit the aspects most often attributed to Helios/The sun and Luna/the moon, however. That was my main point in the comparisons.
    Last edited by Kyrieath; June 1st, 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: for clarity on points.

Thread Information