Thread: Windows 7 UAC vs. JavaLauncherII

Default Windows 7 UAC vs. JavaLauncherII

To start off with: I am not looking for instructions on how to turn Windows 7's UAC off. Thanks.

Has anyone figured out how to get JavaLauncherII (the fancy one with the ability to create/delete characters and the dragon lair background) to play nicely with the Windows 7 UAC still enabled? The launcher works if I disable the UAC, so I know that's where the issue lies.

At first, I was getting the "failed to create directories" error when it tried to patch. After a bit of permissions fiddling, the launcher was able to patch successfully, but another error occurred when it attempted to launch istaria.exe: "Cannot run program "Istaria.exe" (in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria"): CreateProcess error=740, The requested operation requires elevation". The launcher then terminates.

That sounds as if there's more permissions I need to grant, but I just don't know what they are.

Of note: the only launchers that work are the ones listed as "applications," i.e., "jlauncher" and "Launcher." "JavaLauncherII" and "launcher" are listed as "executable Jar files" and both encounter that same error.

Thanks!

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default Re: Windows 7 UAC vs. JavaLauncherII

Nope, I still have this problem myself and have made MUCH less progress solving it. I'll keep an eye/ear out in case someone has the solution, but that's as much as I can be trusted not to bungle.

Friggin' UAC. I love it so much when it blocks my programs from doing something stupid, but then it goes and makes the pretty launcher not work.

I solved this one awhile back. Now to remember exactly how I did it.

It involves running java as an administrator.

1. Navigate to your "Program Files" folder.
    2. Navigate to "Java" folder.
    3. Open "jre6" folder.
    4. Open "bin" folder.
    5. Locate "java.exe".
    6. Right click and go to Properties.
    7. Go to the Compatability tab.
    8. At the bottom, CHECK "Run this program as an administrator".
    9. Hit apply.

That should do it.
    If that doesn't work repeat the steps also for:
    (All in same folder as java.exe)

javaw.exe
    javacpl.exe
    javaws.exe

If you're still having problems, I have other possible ideas.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Whoa. Be careful there! Running java as an administrator might get you around UAC issues, but you'll get flat-out hosed (as in reinstalling windows) if you wind up running a malicious java app.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Whoa. Be careful there! Running java as an administrator might get you around UAC issues, but you'll get flat-out hosed (as in reinstalling windows) if you wind up running a malicious java app.
    That's why you have to be smart about where you go and what you do.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Sometimes you don't really have a choice in the matter, especially with java embedded in all kinds of media. I guess, if you just play HZ on the machine, it's probably okay.

That aside, there's a good possibility that someone following those directions doesn't have the technical background to spot the additional risk they're taking on, nor know how to mitigate it. Everyone using a computer isn't a security expert. They shouldn't have to be either.

Anyway, if you want to tell someone how to take off the safeties, and someone wants to follow through, that's perfectly fine. Just make sure they know what they're getting into, and at the very least, make sure they know it's not... safe.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I'd put a stop to those shenanigans.
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

I got around this issue by giving modify rights to "everyone" on the folder which holds all the Istaria files. Then there was no need to alter the UAC settings

For the not so tech savy
    - Open My Computer, navigate to your instalation location - in my case it was "C:\Program Files (x86)"
    - right-click the "Istaria" folder (the folder which holds all the game files), then press Properties, then go to the tab Security, then press Edit, then Add and type "everyone", then press Check Names, then with Everione selected press the "modify" checkbox
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

[quote=Raptress;281611]To start off with: I am not looking for instructions on how to turn Windows 7's UAC off. Thanks.

Has anyone figured out how to get JavaLauncherII (the fancy one with the ability to create/delete characters and the dragon lair background) to play nicely with the Windows 7 UAC still enabled? The launcher works if I disable the UAC, so I know that's where the issue lies.

I had the same problem and I used a tiny (safe) program called "takeownership". Google it and be sure to get it from ***howtogeek.com.

First delete the javalauncherII shortcut from your desktop to be safe.(That's if you have already created one there)
    Takes a sec to install takeownership...the instructions are on the howtogeek site.
    After install just right-click on the istaria folder in C:\Programs Files (x86)\Istaria and select 'takeownership'.
    Do not stop the operation ..it may take a few minutes to process all the files.
    Then open explorer and drag the javalauncherII to create a shortcut to desktop.
    Worked awesome for quite a while now...good luck!
    Post back if it works for you .

cheers

Hi there. A quick fix i am doing myself and currently using is, copy your game install folders to My documents and run javalauncherII from there. That works perfect for me

Win 7 64bit

Hope this sorts the problem out for you if your willing to do this.
    If you don't like doing it this way you can still go back to the way your launching now as its only a copy

Create a new shortcut (the paths below are the ones to the Java installation and Istaria directories on my PC... it may be different on yours).

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -jar JavaLauncherII.jar
    Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria"

In the "Advanced" options for the shortcut, ensure "Run as administrator" is selected.

I tried Northwind's suggestion, but it didn't work for me. Same error.

Vortura's worked though! Exactly the sort of fix I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Thanks as well to everyone who offered suggestions or even just posted.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Vortura's solution works for me too. GLORY BE!

Me three! Thank you Vortura
    Obsessed crafter of Chaos.

Thread Information