Thread: Scout class buff

Default Scout class buff

Mind you I'm using numbers from a wiki and I'm writing this during maintenance so I can't verify, but, I believe the Scout class is slightly too weak and its role is overshadowed by other classes.

Typically a scout is fast, lightly armored, good at avoiding hits and capable of both ranged and melee combat with an emphasis on range and fast light melee.

Let's see if our scout meets this description:

Fast: check, fleet of foot at level 30
    Lightly armored: check, 10 armor use/level and can use up to chain
    good at avoiding hits: not so much.

Let's start at Evasion/Magic Evasion. Scouts get 8/8 pts per level. Warriors get 9/8 per level respectively. Mages get 8/10 and clerics get 7/9.

So the warrior is better at avoiding physical hits AND gets heavier armor AND has more health.

"But scouts get Evasive style.." yes, and so do Clerics.
    "But scouts get more Dex.." Yes, and if the formulas for combat on wiki are remotely accurate dex counts for less than Evasion does. So if Evasive style is on cooldown a same level warrior has less of a chance to be hit, more of a chance to dodge, and will take less damage due to armor and the overall damage will be less a % of the warriors health.

Even if Evasive style is up, it adds only 21 Evasion, putting the scout now on par with the warrior's evasion, if slightly more, only the scout had to pop an ability for this insignificant increase.

Bear in mind a scout is wearing lighter, less bulky armor, and should be harder to hit and more able to dodge.

Last part of the description:
    Capable of ranged and melee: not so much again.

"But a scout is ranged and should kite.." That's one theory, yes, but Pinion is on a long enough cooldown that it only works once per fight, and it is the only snare the scout has. Nevermind you will have to kite monster 1 a little bit, but monster 1 probably brought monsters 2 and 3 with it. By the time the scout kills 1 and 2, he can go about kiting 3. And we're talking about lower level mobs here, not same level or higher, because a scout can't fight anything like that, especially not more than one.

If you'll allow me to assume scouts should have some melee ability, given their description even says they do, then they should have some melee Abilities, one, maybe 2, and you shouldn't have to go hybrid to get it. I'm talking about a hamstring ability, a low damage snare that when a mob rolls up on a scout, he grabs his sword, sweeps the leg, and resumes kiting.

"But you just want an OP class that steamrolls everything.." I want options to survive without being forced into the multi class grind. A warrior can stand up to these same mobs and fight them, as can a cleric, all I want of a scout is to be able to hit and run. Have you ever tried kiting in Istaria? Everything and their brother is aggressive and aggro ranges across different mobs are all over the place. Giving scouts the ability to kite is just as dangerous as them facing down the monster, only with some skill, they might win while kiting.

Barring that, the scout should at least be better at avoiding damage than a warrior, signifcantly better, not marginally.

In summary:

Warrior has lots of health and armor for absorbing lots of damage, but also has evasion
    Cleric has lots of armor, a bit more health to absorb damage, has some evasion, AND can heal
    Scout has medium armor, medium health, and medium evasion, cannot heal, cannot kite effectively and cannot melee (ie, no abilities for melee).
    Mages I know nothing about

Do not NERF anything! Just bring scouts in line with other classes

Default Re: Scout class buff

Levelling Scout was a great deal of fun for me. It was the first school I levelled on my Vortura character so there were no mastered abilities or spells carried over from other classes. No heals, no gifts.

Kiting was the key to surviving and winning. If you want to stand still and let critters beat on you then you will fail or at most advance very slowly.

Kiting allowed me to take on multiple higher level critters and was very effective. Yes you wear the critters down slowly, but the key is fighting many opponents (about 6 or 7) at once for the best XP bonus.

Try to steer away from magic using foes until you get a few of the nicer multi-shot/flurry abilities under your belt.

It's a very good base school, and has to be played in it's own unique way, like Mage, to be effective.

Warrior & Cleric... bleh. Those are schools which I just couldn't stand starting characters off with.

Thread Information