Draconic lore tends to vary based upon the cultures that had mythology for them, what strikes me as interesting is the similarities they all have and I'm wondering what I can put down that fits Istarian lore for my eventual RP on order. I'd like to put down a few thoughts and see what the community thinks, please if you have questions or comments- or find it at odds with the Istarian lore- please feel free to amend, comment, or even expand!

Dragons- Beginning to End: Primal energy, translated into the "power of origin(creation)" is what every dragon claims as a birthright. I believe dragons, due largely to their concept as "world creators/shapers" take on elements or aspects that define the world as they shape and create it, becoming personifications of the elements themselves. Through age and understanding, dragons temper themselves and their natures to a sort of "ascension" depicted as follows:

Elemental Dragons- these are the basic dragons found in nature, including "fire" and "water," to metallic "bronze" and "gold," and even states like "cold" and "light." All dragons are born as elementals, and these elements can be combined just as any physical element can be combined in nature. ("Cold" and "Water" forming "Ice").

Planar Dragons- Dragons will refine their element until they can not only master and create it, but use it to transcend to another plane of existence entirely. Dragons in this state become corporeal, escaping the grips of time and space, and are capable of creating entire realities within their planes of existence.

"Demigod" Dragons- As planar dragons define their planes of existence, they eventually cross into other planes of existence and incorporate other aspects into their own. Planar dragons who can influence other planes add further definition to the existences they can create, mastering the art of true creation itself.

Primal Manifestations (Appearances):
"Primal" energy, or the creation element the dragon is an essence of, would look differently though function similarly as each dragon performed a similar function. A breath attack from a "fire" dragon would appear so, where as an "ice" dragon would breath ice or air cold enough to function similarly. Crystalline or metallic dragons would have breath weapons but would breath fire akin to the colors of their origin (like rubbing two emeralds together, super hot and would be green).

Hoards of Gold and Silver, and why Dragons love them:
Iconically a dragon is found laying in a dank cave upon troves of treasure, to be looted by the nearest band of adventurers brave enough to take on a beast of legend. It is believed dragons sleep on mountains of gold as gold and silver are ideal conduits for energy, like electricity down a wire. If primal energy were to flow and radiate from within a dragon, a hoard would be able to help regulate a level of comfort relative to the size of the dragon keeping it. Therefore as dragons age and grow larger, they require larger hoards to keep regular. It can also be viewed that being a conduit for primal energies, the gold and silver can be used as a catalyst for draconic abilities, both physical and magical.

The Size of Things: Dragons will continue to grow until the day they die, amassing more power and knowledge as they become more and more affluent with their creation element until eventually ascending or becoming consumed by it (i.e. spontaneous combustion, turning into a statue of the various elements, etc). Therefore dragons, though they may live hundreds or thousands of years, have a yearning for knowledge and power, but to go at a reasonable pace.

What Would Fire Deem Important?: So you are the embodiment of an aspect, you will live for thousands of years, and you want to know yourself and how you fit into the world to better control the both of them... but what will you spend your millenia doing? I would imagine each aspect would find certain things appealing- and all of them would value their mobility and good health above all... imagine being held back because you lost an arm or a wing to a foolish conquest. I also imagine "broods" or the bloodline of a dragon would improve their understanding of themselves and would be very important to a dragon, while they will go through phases of "expansion" where they want to live with and understand other elements, you would feel more akin with your fiery brethren when tackling a problem over fire.