Thread: Windows 8

Default Windows 8

Just wanted to let you know Istaria seems to run fine under Windows 8. You have to switch from the Start screen to the Desktop for Java to run, but after that it goes off without a hitch. I'm currently running it on a SSD which seems to help performance when accessing a lot of files, like during porting.

Default Re: Windows 8

I have some friends me included having a very hard time using the Java starter. The old "Launcher.exe" works perfectly and that's what I try make them use when they are stuck. Hope it still works on Windows 8, else we are a whole group who can't play any more.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I heard Windows 8 was complete crap... how true is this?

Vamalchior

Quote Originally Posted by Kryodrache View Post
    I heard Windows 8 was complete crap... how true is this?
    IMO windows 8 runs awesome. I- have ran Istaria on windows 8 flawless since it's release. But like any new operating system not all computer configurations work without hicups. Good luck!

I had a little bit of trouble to get it running - java install and not really used yet to windows 8 - but it runs like a dream now

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I despise it. I had occasion to chat with a microsoft support tech and after his counselling that I'd get used to it and soon "love" it, I asked him if he was currently using windows 8 (at the support location) and he replied no, windows 7. Go figure.

Anyway, I cannot manage to stay logged in for more than a few minutes. If I switch to any other window, I crash out of Istaria. This includes mousing over some random part of the screen that jumps me back to the metro screen. I also am unable to run 2 sessions of Istaria, whether it's 2 separate install locations or just the one.

I also got some wierd 3d graphics setting error. I doubt disabling metro will fix the CTDs if I switch out of the Istaria window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

hi Crème sorry to hear you are having problems with istaria under windows 8. I had a flawless upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 pro and istaria works fine since the launch of windows 8. Did you upgrade or a new install if windows 8? If you done a upgrade it is possible it lost files or corrupted them while upgrading. You may have to repair windows 8 or reinstall over it again. Just thinking here to narrow down the possibilities. I rarely use metro, when I start my computer I select desktop and never leave it. Good luck

Sadly windows 8 came preinstalled with no option to downgrade. I also leave metro for desktop as soon as I start, but metro insists on popping up at random times. Might be touchpad sensitivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thread Information