You know, that might be one area where a class action suit could be brought if enough people got ticked off. I thought it very stupid that they could program the java on a 3D blu-ray to check and find out if the player, TV and AV system were capable of 3D playback and if one component was not then the player would refuse to load the movie. There is no reason what so ever that it could not recognize it was playing either on a 2D system or one capable of 3D then choose the proper menus and playback mode for that format. From what I understand, converting a 3D movie to 2D is as simple as only playing the left eye image. I have PowerDVD installed on my HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer) and it can switch back and forth between the formats on the fly at the click of a button. I've turned off 3D during a movie a couple of times because they were so gawd awfully made and/or converted that it was painful to watch in 3D. So why lock out 2D only systems? Both versions can easily fit on a single disc without extras. Except for really long movies like the converted Titanic which was split into two discs for the 3D home release. "Extras" belong on a separate disk anyway and should be optional in a purchase. Sounds like it may be yet another sneaky way for the studios to try to double dip out of people's pockets.

Have a 2D system? You can only buy the 2D version of a movie to run on it. And if you upgrade to 3D capable, well too bad you have to buy the movie again. Sorry. ($ cha-CHING $)