Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blight 384.109

Hybrid View

Default Blight 384.109

Greetings Blight Players.

The current client on Blight is potentially a release candidate. This update includes more adjustments to the camera controls to fix reported issues, adjustments to object selection and an increase in the distance for blob shadows to load.

Version 384.108 is scheduled for release July 9, unless something critical comes up.

Version 384.109 is scheduled for release July 16.

Here's the official change release notes:

FEATURE: Mouse Over Descriptions on hot keys
    FIX: Resource Targeting Commands - Fix for SelectNearest and no other items around deselects
    FIX: Many adjustments to camera controls and click functionality
    FEATURE: Right click on entity selects entity
    FIX: Refine object / character selection method
    FIX: Increase blob shadow load distance so that monsters are visible while textures load (requires global pref reset)
    FIX: Even more adjustments to camera controls
    FIX: 384.109 If mouse/free look is disabled in options, but mouse buttons are bound to the mouse/free look key anyway, there were problems with camera / mouse feedback.**

Before making any comment, please ensure that you are running the 384.109 client, as the various different versions recently released all have different camera behavior as the developers have been tweaking the various releases. You can see your current build by typing:
    /window fpswindow

Your feedback is very much appreciated and will help to ensure a solid release.

As always, we appreciate you playing on Blight and hope that you find all the changes as exciting as well do.

Istaria Developers
    Last edited by Yfelvik; July 12th, 2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: 384.109

Default Re: Blight 384.108

Any updates to the mouse over glow effect? I know it works sometimes on the laptop, but never has on desktop. I believe Steelclaw mentioned something about it having been overlooked patches ago and was on the table to be looked at.
    rip

I just logged in blight, trying to figure out the "FEATURE: Mouse Over Descriptions on hot keys" thing. Didn't notice anything new. Does this mean when you hover a hotkey, it should show more info, then before? Can you explain this feature more?

And the issue of seeing the mouse hovering things while mouselook is enabled isn't fixed. But its not a big deal, can still play normally. Can still see hotkeys getting highlight/hovered, while mouse freelook is enabled (invisible mouse cursor). But at least the issue of steering only 180 degrees is fixed.

Do we need to do a pref reset to see the other things, too?
    Last edited by Cegaiel; July 4th, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Oh, to clarify, I haven't looked at the mouse glow. Just tweaked the selection process.

It works like this:
    0. A click produces a mouse ray starting at the camera coordinates, through the pointer, and off into infinity.
    1. Find out where/if the ray crosses the terrain. Truncate the ray there.
    2. If the ray intersects poly-selectable objects, select the closest one, stop the selection process.
    3. If the ray intersects collision-selectable objects, select the closest one, stop the selection process.
    4. If the ray intersects the bounding box of selectable objects, select the closest one that:
    4a. Is not the player's character (e.g. the thing selected when you /selectself)
    4b. Has a bounding box that does not contain the camera.
    4c. Is less than 100m from the camera.
    ... and stop the selection process.
    5. If no selection has been made at this point, do not select anything.

In this update:
    - Step 1 was added to prevent clicking through the terrain.
    - Step 4a was added to prevent selecting your character when you click near it, such as when you miss selecting a resource node.
    - Step 4b was added to reduce the chances of selecting something behind you, or right off to the side of the camera. It'll also help reduce the chance of selecting the structure you're standing in when clicking on something you see through a door.
    - Step 4c was added to reduce the chance of selecting something way off in the distance on a stray click. If you want to select something really far away, you'll need to hit it spot on, not click in its general vicinity.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Nice. I don't know how often I selected everything but what I wanted out in Mithril's Anvil. Step 4a will definitely help with dragons, maybe /setscale will be thrown on the backburner. Step 4b is great as if you've been as a dragon in a t6 tavern, becomes problematic selecting tavernkeeper or in a large vault, same deal with NPC's. Maybe cut down on the /select a bit. 4c sounds great in addition to 4a, so many mines and lairs in MA and Dralk even, kudos! Can't wait!

That description over hotkey seemed to work although is there a way to adjust delay? Thinking maybe 1-2s from mouse over before popping up.
    rip

Camera controls are spot on. Mouse cursor is staying in place, selection is superb. A++

That's with default key binds and 'Use Mouse Left/Right buttons to Mouse/Free Look" checked.

Context menu with right click on UI is smooth. No more flickering of the cursor, it's legit.
    rip

Going to update my vid drivers but I am still getting a glitch, right click sends mouse to lower right corner. I have 2 screens so it jumps off current screen to my second screen ick lol...

There's a known issue with the 384.108 client (rolled to live today) that if mouse/look being disabled and the right mouse button being bound to either Mouse or Free look. The developers are investigating this issue.

I patched the misbehaving client to blight again today (no files updated), same behavior on both blight and live. Cursor appears in very upper left after letting go of the mouse button when steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I patched the misbehaving client to blight again today (no files updated), same behavior on both blight and live. Cursor appears in very upper left after letting go of the mouse button when steering.
    Ok, more info. The issue I was having was when the "Use mouse Left/Right to Mouse/Free look" box in options was not checked (One client had it checked, one didn't). middle mouse was bound to mouse look hold, left mouse bound to nothing, but both could be used for steering (right mouse is bound to popup). Left mouse shouldn't have been doing any steering but it was. Cursor would go to some random place on screen when using either left or middle for steering.

Checking the box seems to have fixed it. Cursor appears where it was when steering was started.

Right mouse is still bound to pop-up window, but this only works on ui elements or inventory windows. Right clicking a character such as for inviting to group, or to follow, no longer appears. Right clicking on a structure to "Browse storage" also no longer appears.

Using middle mouse to steer, still results in cursor appearing at some random spot on the screen after you release the button. Using right or left mouse buttons for steering or camera rotating, releases cursor back where it was when you started.

You're getting close...
    Last edited by Guaran; July 10th, 2013 at 03:41 AM.

As far as I know, the only change that requires a global prefs reset is the blob shadow change:
    FIX: Increase blob shadow load distance so that monsters are visible while textures load (requires global pref reset)

Hi Grainger - could you confirm you're using 384.108 please? You can see your current build by typing:
    /window fpswindow

Grainger and I were able to replicate this bug. I've documented it internally, though for everyone else wondering if they're affected, here's what we found.

When not using the new camera-mouse bindings, releasing Mouselook (hold) will restore the pointer to some consistent, wacky location.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Grainger and I were able to replicate this bug. I've documented it internally, though for everyone else wondering if they're affected, here's what we found.

When not using the new camera-mouse bindings, releasing Mouselook (hold) will restore the pointer to some consistent, wacky location.
    So you uncheck the mouse look/free look box under camera tab and just bind your mouse look (hold) to a key, depress and release and release will replicate this issue? For me, the cursor shows up in the same spot.
    rip

Just got home from vacation, patched to blight. Still not a fan of the cursor behavior. When steering, once I release the key for steering, the cursor is appearing in the very upper left corner. Why can't it appear where it was to begin with, before I started steering?

Just got home from vacation, patched to blight. Still not a fan of the cursor behavior. When steering, once I release the key for steering, the cursor is appearing in the very upper left corner. Why can't it appear where it was to begin with, before I started steering?
    Sounds like what Steelclaw and Grainger were describing. Not sure what to do to replicate this issue. My cursor stays in the same spot, does not move.
    rip

Might have found a new really bad bug in the 384.105 client.

Twice now, when the client closes itself while I am afk, my hotkeys.def gets wiped out. Log back in, hotkeys all gone.. Normal logout doesn't wipe the hotkeys...
    Ok, this bug came back last night. It has been intermittent enough that I have not been checking the hotkeys.def file each time. As the client was logging in, it appears the file was either zero'd or deleted. As it booted it creates a fresh file thats 1kb, then a bit later 11kb, which is 20 banks of hotkeys with each one blank.

I'm running the 384.108

Default Re: Blight 384.109

Blight has been updated with a minor fix if you have the mouse/free look disabled in options, but have your mouse buttons bound to the mouse/free look key anyway. There were problems with camera / mouse feedback. This update will be released to the live servers on Tuesday's maintenance if no issues related to this fix are reported.

This is release 384.109

If you can get the issue to happen reliably, please submit a support ticket with your hotkeys file. I usually triage the technical support requests and will try to reproduce with your hotkeys file.

Blight is being updated today with a fix for the mouse bindings / camera controls:
    Fix: Camera Feedback When mouse/Free look is disabled but the mouse click is bound to Mouse / Free look key, the behavior should be the same

FYI, working obsidian yesterday after startup and crashed twice at same spot. I finished making obsidian blocks at lunas stoneworking ped and headed outside SE to the field and locked up at 22140/28269 each time. Wonder if there is a glitch in that spot. I jotted down the coords to post here to help in checking it out.

Thread Information