Thread: Bugged Hotkeys

Default Bugged Hotkeys

For some reason the game persists in placing hotkeys in my bar which I can't use and I can't remove them either. It also mis-labels abilities on the bar,for instance I have a Evasive Style Ability on my Cleric which wants to use the Human Magic ability icon. This is extremely annoying,among other things.

Default Re: Bugged Hotkeys

You can't remove them? Right-click --> Clear Hotkey doesn't work?

How is the game placing these unusable hotkeys? When do the hotkeys get messed up? Trying to get a clearer picture of exactly what might be going on.

I haven't heard of an issue like this before. The only thing I can think of to try would be to go into your characters folder in Istaria/prefs and remove UIHotkeys.def and the hotkey_icons folder. (This will reset your hotkeys, if that is at all unclear. You may want to save the old files to send in to support in case they are the culprit.)

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

It sounds like a folder permissions issue. Starting with windows 7, "Program Files (x86)" folder among others, has extra security measures in place. Defeating those security measures I would not recommend. A simpler solution is to copy-paste the Istaria folder to the root of your C drive. Do not use "Move" as that keeps permissions intact. Copy, make a new shortcut to c:\istaria\jlauncher.exe for the launcher. Try again.

Yeah, the Program Files folders is the #1 reason why map pack installs fail for novice users. They can't edit the required files. When they try to save the file, it always says access denied (unless you start Notepad in Administrator mode). The suggestion of moving Istaria to a folder elsewhere would work just fine, it would still work without having to reinstall it. I know we're talking about hotkeys, but using map pack as an example of things going awry due to the super restricted permissions needing Administrator mode in the Program Files folders.

Before you read the rest of my comments, Try starting Istaria in Administrator mode. To do this RIGHT click on the "Play Istaria" and choose the "Run as Administrator". See how that works out.... If still no change, then continue reading

Sometimes there are extra icons left over in the /prefs/servername_charactername/hotkey_icons folder. So if you see these random icons, but grayed out, that might be an issue too. Sometimes you have to delete and start over. Or as a test, you could rename hotkey_icons to hotkey_icons2 . Then when you restart the game, there would be no icons on the hotkeys. So that's a last resort thing, as you would be starting all over again. If that's still not working, then exit the game and delete that folder then rename the hotkey_icons2 back to hotkey_icons. But definetly try the other suggestions FIRST.

If you're willing to start over, then do the Reset Preferences from the Troubleshoot button in the Launcher. You could also make a backup of your Prefs folder in the game before doings this. Simply copy/paste (not paste shortcut, but Paste the Prefs folder somewhere on your computer, like Desktop maybe. Just in case you want to grab some files out of there later.

If still problems, then try Guaran's suggestion, move the game folder from Program files to else where. Open My Computer, go to Program Files (x86). Right click the Istaria folder, click CUT then Paste it somewhere. Lets say, maybe create a Games folder, under C: Drive and paste it there. You would need to create a new shortcut if you do this (for the Play Istaria button. You can right click an empty spot on your Desktop, Choose New, then Shortcut. Then browse to the new folder where you put the game at, and click on JLAUNCHER. That will put a new icon to the new location on your desktop.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thread Information