Thread: Crystal Shaping Skill

Default Crystal Shaping Skill

When I played Istaria before, I never really played my hatchie much because I was always too busy with biped plot building. This time around, I decided I really wanted to do more with my hatchie than just play in sandstone and copper fields, so I took out a second plot subscription and purchased a lair. I also decided that my hatchie would level DCRA and LS before really going out to adventure much in the wonderful world of Istaria.

Now I find out to my dismay that the crystal shaping skill (which is a step very much required to build any structure in my lair) will only give experience if my dragon is a level 80 adult with at least 20 lairshaping skill. My hatchie is level 11 DRAG, level 27 DCRA and level 18 LS, but now I'm seriously considering deconning the lair, selling the lair and just purchasing a second biped plot or just not renewing the second plot subscription because I don't feel that it's right that something that requires so much resources would give 0 experience while I continue to plod along trying to build a lair.

I love the idea of dragons being able to make crystals for weapons using the crystal shaping skill but maybe this skill should be a different skill than the crystal shaping skill that is so necessary to lair building, or maybe the requirements to enter crystal shaping school need to be changed.
    Dee
    IGN: Deelighted, Deeclaw, Deelusion, Deestiny, Deemure, Deecree, Deeno
    Brains & Brawn Guild

Default Re: Crystal Shaping Skill

For what it's worth, something like 80% of your experience will come from placing the lair pieces. The tiny bit you're missing out on when making focused crystals is not noticeable. It's only an issue for one type of lair piece.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Crystalshaping was never a DLSH skill (in terms of gaining experience), even before the Crystalshaper update. So regardless you wouldn't have been able to get experience in DCRA or DLSH when working with crystalshaping.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

There's comparatively little that actually needs azulyte for a lair. Only the primal essences and the lattices need it. The vast majority of your lair materials will be essence, metal, and stone in some combination or another. And you don't get experience from the smelting, stoneworking, and essence shaping needed to make the other materials either so it's quite fair. You only get experience from making and applying the materials you make. Consider lairshaping similar to the biped confectioner school in that you get nothing from processing materials and only from the finished products.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Thread Information