Thread: Concerning clarity again..

Default Concerning clarity again..

"Damage: Weapon/Spell damage + Strength/Power * Attack Delay + Attack Skill * Attack Delay - Target's Armor * Attack Delay
    All the modifications are divided by values that I'm not going to reveal at this time, but as stated originally, Strength/Power is 50% more valued than Skill, and Armor is slightly more valued than Strength/Power.
    The above result is then put through a Gaussian randomizer to give greater variety. "

This is the formula I was complaining about in my clarity post.

Given this scenario: A Primal spell has a delay of 2, 3-5 damage, the player has 14 power and 12 attack skill*. The opposing enemy has 10 armor/resistance. Using the traditional PEMDAS method that calculators follow (unless they're broken or made wrong), this comes out to 35-37 damage which is then 'randomized'. The parameters for this are unclear. Again, the post DIRECTLY STATES that all of the values are also divided by values that are not revealed in the post.

Honestly, I may not be coming away with everything the post has to say, but I couldn't draw any hard numbers from it- only 'guesstimates'. Thanks to the end randomization of damage after all other calculations, this isn't exactly something that any one player could clear up without an impressive array of stat-modifying gear (big numbers on specified sets for big differences (theoretically) in damage points) and/or unlimited Buy Back points, along with a huge amount of time. And luck.

What does this post say? It says Power>Primal>Focus, if I'm reading it correctly. The above formula is useless for practical application, however. I can pretty firmly say that 1 point of armor =/= 1 point of damage reduction from Son of Gigaroth, for example. Merely while investigating the potential strength of an Armor stacking Lunus versus a Strength stacking Lunus versus a Power/Primal stacking Helian dragon, solid ratios for the 'basis' damage and damage reduction would prove massively helpful. This is what I was asking for in the 'Suggestions' forum.

TLR the post here about stats gives the comparative effectiveness of all stats in relation to one another, but not the 'base' effectiveness. This means some of us are left to wonder.. "Do Caster dragons work? Or does the RNG just hate/love me until I try it with SoG?" Just a couple clarifications on scaling make theorycrafting much easier, even if it's just 'the scaling is per-spell so you'll never really know for certain.'

*which I don't believe is a 1:1 ratio from Focus, or a direct 1/2 ratio- the example stat used is Dexterity, and the exact bonus ratio is not given, and it is stated in the post that it isn't being given 'right now'. It is also not made clear what the Primal ratio is, or if the 'attack skill' stat boost from some techs is a universal 1:1 or acts as a universal x number of points in the given stat for any given attack... I'm setting the value at 12.
    Arakk, Big Red Ancient of Order (100/94/46)
    Marekk, Timid Tinkerdragon of Order (21/40 hatchie)
    Araumus, 'That annoying Naka' of Order (Various-low)

Default Re: Concerning clarity again..

When you say "Calrity" the first thing that comes to mind is the Sorcerer ability clarity. Your title gives wrong impression.

You appear to be trying to determine how various stats and skills all play into combat.

From old old post on long closed forum, these are my general remembrances from it:
    (Smeglors post, and I think there's a copy of it on here someplace)

Skill (weapon/spell) gives 1 towards chance to hit, 2/3 towards damage.
    Strength/power gives 1 towards damage for melee/spells.
    Dexterity/focus gives 1/3 towards chance to hit, 1/3 towards chance to evade.
    (I believe these are just the ratio's to each other, not necessarily specific amounts. Or that perception is just the result of the randomizer applied at the end)

Evasion + wards factor into chance to hit. Weapon skill must exceed the evasion or you will almost continually miss.
    Armor + resistances factor into damage done, along with weapon delay.

And of course the final result for each pass has a guassian randomizer applied.

From my own experience, weapon skill is most important. Next is evasion.

Caster dragon? doesn't have enough heals to solo anything high end. Dragon's are primarily melee. Trying to be a caster means you will only be half as good as you could be. If you like the spells, build the drag as a hybrid, and you will do ok. 300 tp/s into tooth&claw, 600 t/ps into primal, and rest into evasion. And in between spells, use claws. Armor for scale base (not strength or power or health or focus or dexterity), teched with primarily skill (power or tooth&claw), followed by special techs like piercing winds/razor teeth where appropriate, followed by dragon breath, and lastly followed by strength/power. For the hybrid build, go all primal/dragon breath/power on scales. keep tooth&claw accurate enough to hit reliably with training points. use the dragon techs where appropriate, and make a second set of wings with speed/velocity/primal for when out of combat. do not put speed/velocity on combat wings.
    For a melee build also use armor base, t&c/dragon techs/dragon breath/strength in order of importance for techs, make separate speed wings. max out t&c points, put about 200 into primal so that debuffs reliably land, and rest into evasion.

I never saw the previous post you are referring to in suggestions, so if this information doesn't apply, disregard.

Edit: saw Amon's responce with the link to Smeglor's information, made some corrections above.
    Last edited by Guaran; December 21st, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Caster dragon? doesn't have enough heals to solo anything high end. Dragon's are primarily melee. Trying to be a caster means you will only be half as good as you could be.
    Hmm, ok I have to disagree with you here Guaran. Besides I don't know of any dragon that can solo SoG or Valkor, unless you mean dual boxing. Caster Dragons can and do perform well. Whilst they might not be quite so "punchie" as a Melee Dragon but they are VERY viable. I don't know anyone that would argue that my wife's PURE caster dragon does not hold its own. I think the main difference is how they are utilized. Yes a melee dragon can out a caster vs a single mob., but against groups the caster will always win out. I have seen it again, and again and again, the Heals from caster dragons are twice as strong as a melee dragons and come close to matching a clerics revitalize and a properly teched prime bolt is very owwie.

The point I am trying to make is that you have to play according to a build that will work for you, not a build someone has pushed onto you. If you want a long slogging match go armour and evasion, you want to tear something apart in one Gold rage, strength and TnC. and lets not forget all the odd ball builds. There is not a wrong or useless build only a build that does or does not fit the player using it. The only useless build might be if you spread your TP's everywhere.. then that might not work....

So are casters worth playing? Yes, but ultimately no matter what you choose to spend your TP's in you can always switch them around. And you can always tweak it to perfect your build.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

I did not spend a sinle tp on evasion.
    Never had to regret that- I want spikes scales to work or CoT o.s.

Besides that I agree with both of you:
    There are so many ways to play a dragon- everyone differs from another- and all (if equipped right played wise)
    are strong enough for all there is.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I said high end, not Epic or Boss.

[But to that, I have seen Sog solo'd by a dragon back when sog had 150k health and didn't have stun immunity. The dragon did have gifts and enhances from a biped but the fight itself was solo. Was a melee dragon, not a caster :P]

I think we are getting off topic.

Thread Information