Thread: Community buildings storage - what is generally acceptable?

Default Community buildings storage - what is generally acceptable?

Now that field work centers have storage with huge bulk and limited item stack, I was wondering if there were some as yet unspoken norms for how that storage is used.

This came up because I was working in an area where all 3 stacks were in use by different individuals, apparently untouched, for several days. One of the stacks involved significant crafting bulk, but the other 2 were pretty small (less than 1-2 thousand). Efforts were made to contact the individuals, but no one seemed to have seen them let alone pass the question to them of whether or not they cared about the stacks there.

I would like to suggest that if a stack is less than 1% of the max storage capacity (easy math), the crafter of the items cannot be reached, and the stack remains apparently untouched overnight (24 hours?), that it become available to whoever can make use of it. Does this sound like a fair approach? What other suggestions do folks have?

Default Re: Community buildings storage - what is generally acceptable?

24 hours sounds good to me. Good for the person that left that in the storage for a lot of different things that can happen in RL, and good for the rest of players that want to make use of it.

I would have to concur as well, and some places seem to me more prone to this than others with Wisp Island coming to mind first. Not sure if it is doable from a developer's stand point, but if it was possible to put some sort of timer on the things, or say after each weekly maintenance ownership/crafter information is deleted from those things in public machine storage.

I know in my own case, I make sure to empty out what I use so there is room for others; and that goes for the new storage options as well as players you are kind enough to leave silos open to the public too. I know recently on Wisp Island I swapped out the 79 Glowing orbs to make room for my work and put them back when I was done, but not everyone has that option, more so when it is easier to use the portal gate than the closest vault. Someone else has had a stack of like 3103 Pale orbs there now for a few days and haven't seen them locally or in MP, and a small stack of bright orbs as well - 3 different players - one of whom was informed no longer had a sub and was okay to take via another player who was able to contact them via Skype.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Biggest problem I see is unprocessed material in shop storage, you can't find out who the owner of it is unless they are it the area working. Also means that you can't put unprocessed in there because it will just stack on top. So what I do if there is Raw in there, I write down how many and make sure there is that much still in there when I leave. If a Field shop has raw and first stage processing in it, makes it pretty much useless to use unless you are making third stage processing in the field. I never leave anything in a field shop, if I do as far as I'm concerned its free to anyone. I know how many I need, gather that many, process it and take it away. I know sometimes RL happens and you can't get back to the game. If I can't get back and someone takes the materials, I would not get mad, I should have made a bigger effort to have it taken care of. Now if I am in the Area and someone takes it with out asking on MP channel who is working in the area, then that's different. Could see me on MP asking who the thief is.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Quote Originally Posted by Dacurly View Post
    Now if I am in the Area and someone takes it with out asking on MP channel who is working in the area, then that's different. Could see me on MP asking who the thief is.
    I agree that sincere effort to contact the owner must be made before touching any stack. That's part of the reason of my suggestion including a wait period, because sometimes folk get pulled afk longer than expected.

I would think the same unwritten rules apply that already apply to public silos when resources are left in them. Don't think that really needs to change any.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I always check to see who's around and even help out with the unprocessed materials when other people are in the area. I also when I need unprocessed materials I make sure to do it at times when no one is around.

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I would think the same unwritten rules apply that already apply to public silos when resources are left in them. Don't think that really needs to change any.
    Since they're unwritten, it is hard to look them up. Can you remind us of them?

Depends on who you ask. Each person has a different idea of how much time needs to have passed before resources can be touched and whether or not it needs to be raw or processed resources, and whether to locate the owner after that time has passed, etc. I know that names on processed resources in public storage get removed or did after one or two maint. periods, but the general rule is that if its got a name on it, don't touch it. That is pretty much the standard unwritten rule and the rest of it varies from person to person.

I think because everyone has different ideas of what constitutes as "abandoned" in public storage buildings/silos, trying to force everyone to obey an exact unwritten rule beyond "don't touch if it has a name on it" is going to be near impossible.

As for myself, I don't leave anything in the public storage buildings I'm using when I log off. I've found it missing before, and part of that fault is mine. They are public and having it gone when I return is a massive risk to take when using them. I've seen too many spates of silo/storage theft over the years to know that using public storage and expecting security isn't going to happen, and we have been told this repeatedly. That is why for long term projects I try to stick to personal storage, using a friends plot, or guild storage buildings if I can. I can trust that these are secure and won't be tampered with or stolen from.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I agree somewhat with Arzel, It is up to the person to have the courtesy to clean up after themselves after they are done. To leave material in there for weeks or even days without doing anything with it is a detriment to other people who may need to use the machine. I personally feel that if you are online using it, fine. But when you are done you should clean up after yourself before you log out. After all that is a public machine not your personal storage... Being as crashing is common in this game I would say a 24 hour courtesy grace period on unclaimed items is fair. If they were important to someone they would have used or moved them before that to somewhere safe.

I tend to be much more lenient then that myself.. But I also never leave resources on any public storage if I am not in the area or actively transporting it to another area. I would be somewhat annoyed if I crashed for several hours and came back and it was all gone, but I would understand why it happened.

Hey all ,
    Generally speaking here, yes it's not a bad topic here. I tend not to leave resources over night if it's public, if you are willing to leave it overnight then you are willing to lose it. That's the way I see it. I was thinking about what you said awdz about a 24 hr timer, not sure we need that. Would it tic over at midnight, that would be sad if you were gaming at 11pm and at 12 you lost it. O.O.

For the most part I don't think there is really a big problem with losing items in storage if your in the field and gathering and filling them. People just need to be aware that when they log they should transfer to vault or their plot or something.

I also think it to be kind that if your using all the stack items in a storage shop or silo that's public and you see someone else come and gather that you two communicate and figure out how to share it. Most people are very receptive to a gentleman's handshake for that.

As a follow up to some unspoken rules, yea I see resources in a silo for a week and its like 800 bricks? I'll even take that, that's ridiculous to be left that long, I consider maintenance to maintenance "abandoned".
    -Kor

Thread Information