Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Istaria Lexica Comments

Default Re: Istaria Lexica

Quote Originally Posted by Daulnay View Post
    As a matter of law, facts cannot be copyrighted, only the organization and presentation of them. That's what the DCMA covers.

What's your basis for saying otherwise? My basis is 1)reading law journals, 2) discussing this stuff with a lawyer

I guarantee you didn't discuss it with a lawyer. Plenty of people claim it, meanwhile I actually study it. Nice try though.

great job Gentlemen!

A real masterpiece

Thank you so much for your time and efforts and kinda genius you put into that.

And thank you in the name of all who love Istaria and want it to stay alive and kicking.

(fire and brimstone can and should be ignored )

Flame and me surely sign, what Daulnay, Calyndrell and Ramaj have already said.

And pls forum mods: Have an eye on this here- so something good does not turn into something bad.

Some motivation here seems questionable to me--and does not serve the well-being of our game.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergial View Post
    I guarantee you didn't discuss it with a lawyer. Plenty of people claim it, meanwhile I actually study it. Nice try though.
    Better hit the books then.
    from the U of Michigan: Exceptions to Copyright: Facts and Data
    --
    Daulnay
    Tamlis Askereth, Saris, Order
    Thorncloud Moonskimmer, Dragon, Order

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    And if you think so lowly of the game and finds it such a chore perhaps you should hand the wikia to someone who wants it and would treat it as the labour of love it NEEDS to be.

And I am not denying any level of skill on yours nor kidas part.. but I know for a fact your not the only two who can do it nor the only two who WOULD do it.
    You're forgetting the fact that there are two other administrators on the Wiki, by the way. Just thought I'd inform you. Also, liking the game is not a criteria for being a Wiki admin. Apparently pouring days of my time into the wiki isn't "a labor of love". You're right. I'm wasting my life away on the wiki because I completely and utterly hate it. Definitely.

Another also, I never said I disliked the game. I have my criticisms, from a gamer's point of view, but critique =/= hate! In fact, you'll find that ALL OF MY POSTS on steam/wherever the hell you're reading them are typically paired with HUGE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ESSAYS that go ignored or are not replied to by devs. "neither of you have anything useful and constructive to say", my left buttcheek. Your arguments are entirely wrong.

And finally, for your information, I volunteered to make new buttons for the revamped trade interface, and did those as quickly as possible, because I love the game and want it to succeed, change, and grow. I'm willing to make art assets FOR FREE despite it being my profession because I, gasp, enjoy the game. But keep throwing false accusations my way, please. I love being blindly hated by someone that doesn't even know me.

And, for clarification, here's a rundown on the Istaria Wiki, how I came to be admin, and why Terao and Elteria did what they did. Total transparency, since people are still throwing false accusations in my direction.

It was founded by ObyDragon in 2008. "Abandoned" a year or two later, StalePopcorn adopted the wiki (or was given admin privs) later on, but ultimately, it was abandoned again and left in a state of disarray for roughly 3-4 years. Istaria had a lot of updates during this time, so the wiki became outdated and not many people used it as a source. I started editing in 2010, but didn't adopt the wiki until 2013, and my edits and reorganization efforts were approved by the active editing community (including Terao, keep this in mind for later), seen here: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Messag...r_talk_archive Where they agreed to let me administrate. I adopted, I overhauled the front page to make it more visually appealing and up-to-date amongst the other Gaming Wikias (because if the wiki were up to date and visually appealing, it could gain exposure on the main Wikia site and so the game would get more exposure, and I was all for that).

Unfortunately, Wikia had a lot of problems involving an older section of code for the wiki (SemanticMediaWiki) and the visual editor, and this started causing weird errors and stuff that I didn't know how to deal with because I was still very new to wiki-text and wiki-editing. It was frustrating, google searches got me nowhere, and people in the community started blaming me becoming an admin for all the new issues (because that's fair). I got upset and angry and lashed out, and I admit, it was wrong for me to do so. I was just starting in a very stressful college, I was under a lot of stress, and being blamed for something out of my control was too much. I started drifting away from the wiki, coming back only to delete pages marked for deletion, and do other admin duties. I didn't feel motivated to edit anymore, and every time I spoke in the forums or in-game about wiki-related things, I was blamed/yelled at some more. So I stopped.

Elteria and Terao started becoming more active, and this excited me. I was really happy to see contributions being made towards the wiki, hoping it could finally get some exposure on Wikia, and so get some exposure for the game. At the time, I played some other games to destress with my boyfriend, and noticed they had wikis that needed help too. After being blamed for so much and not knowing enough to fix anything, I went to those wikis to try and attain some knowledge. Wikis for Terraria, Starbound, etc. They had a lot of modern, functional code, and I was able to look through them and gather how I could adapt it for the Istaria wiki. This is where things got hairy again.

Terao made this post on my wall. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:13575 I kept my response as civil as possible, because it was ultimately an unwarranted message. There is no limit to the amount of wikis I can administrate or contribute to, and my time on other wikis was spent learning how newer wikis functioned so that I could bring the Istaria Wiki back up to speed with the rest. Time passed, I updated pages and kept up my admin duties in the background whenever asked, while Terao and Elteria did a lot of updating (which was always appreciated). Then this happened. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:15371

Terao was, again, heckling me about administration. Feel free to read up on the conversation there, where I remained as civil as possible while being bombarded by not one, but two, individuals and being judged on my activity (yet the other two admins weren't questioned on their activity, despite them being TOTALLY GONE. yet I'm around, and I get told I'm not doing enough.) I find it funny that he brings up admins being voted in; I followed that conduct to the letter back when I asked to adopt the wiki. Terao approved back then, so why he brought it up then is unknown to me.

Elteria leaves messages on my wall explaining her intentions with a specific part of the Wiki. We talked just fine on this subject. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:16329 This issue in particular is one that I went back to fix later on, by moving the information on Creature types pages into categories (since the pages themselves were short and could easily be made into categories instead), and that started some kind of downward spiral. These changes alone were enough for the two of them to throw a tantrum, Terao, instead of heckling me once again for administrator rights (which I had explained in previously linked threads were not necessary to accomplish his actions, and if he needed admin powers to do something, he could have easily asked me since I was quick to respond to any requests. I was desperate for something to do, something that I felt I COULD do since I was so scared of messing up anything like before, lest I be judged) went behind my back and tried to cajole the Wikia staff into giving him rights and lying by saying I was inactive http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Adop...a_Wiki_%282%29

When this plan of his failed, they both brought their tantrum onto the Wiki where I could see it. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:16474 I was upset, I was angry, I had just gotten out of the game because I said something "out of line" in marketplace and got hounded by several members of the community to the point of crying and having to log off. Having this brought to my attention was the worst thing.

I'm tired of people saying I'm not an adequate admin when I tried my hardest to bring the wiki to a non-outdated state. I was blamed for things out of my control, and now that I finally have a lot of working knowledge with WikiText and SemanticMediaWiki, I've graduated from college, I have more time to dedicate to the wiki (and have been!), I fixed the templates and pages so that things won't break with the visual editor anymore... I get this. Now I get Terao and Elteria stealing years of hard work from the very small community of editors on the wiki, taking what little of an audience the Wiki had because everyone thinks they're in the right for doing this apparently, and getting blamed for my past mistakes yet again.

Thank you for confirming that the community always disliked me, Dualnay. I don't hold grudges and I've been trying my hardest with this wiki in hopes that people here would finally accept me, would finally appreciate what I was doing. I always wondered if everyone just hated me, or if I was actually doing something wrong. It's nice to finally have the answer to that.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    seconding this, I really like the look of it as well as the content, especially the concept art, haven't seen most of that before ^^
    I'll third this and am looking forward to trying to create and add a contribution or two. An excellent job to both you Elt and Terao! Especially with the programming Elt! I have to agree with Lov here! You both have shown some real geinus in taking an open source software, like mediawiki and tailoring it to be so streamlined and nice for the community. I am well impressed! Truly a labour of love and effort for the community on both of your parts! Congratulations on the hard work and effort! Keep it up

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    You're forgetting the fact that there are two other administrators on the Wiki, by the way. Just thought I'd inform you. Also, liking the game is not a criteria for being a Wiki admin. Apparently pouring days of my time into the wiki isn't "a labor of love". You're right. I'm wasting my life away on the wiki because I completely and utterly hate it. Definitely.

Another also, I never said I disliked the game. I have my criticisms, from a gamer's point of view, but critique =/= hate! In fact, you'll find that ALL OF MY POSTS on steam/wherever the hell you're reading them are typically paired with HUGE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ESSAYS that go ignored or are not replied to by devs. "neither of you have anything useful and constructive to say", my left buttcheek. Your arguments are entirely wrong.

And finally, for your information, I volunteered to make new buttons for the revamped trade interface, and did those as quickly as possible, because I love the game and want it to succeed, change, and grow. I'm willing to make art assets FOR FREE despite it being my profession because I, gasp, enjoy the game. But keep throwing false accusations my way, please. I love being blindly hated by someone that doesn't even know me.

And, for clarification, here's a rundown on the Istaria Wiki, how I came to be admin, and why Terao and Elteria did what they did. Total transparency, since people are still throwing false accusations in my direction.

It was founded by ObyDragon in 2008. "Abandoned" a year or two later, StalePopcorn adopted the wiki (or was given admin privs) later on, but ultimately, it was abandoned again and left in a state of disarray for roughly 3-4 years. Istaria had a lot of updates during this time, so the wiki became outdated and not many people used it as a source. I started editing in 2010, but didn't adopt the wiki until 2013, and my edits and reorganization efforts were approved by the active editing community (including Terao, keep this in mind for later), seen here: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Messag...r_talk_archive Where they agreed to let me administrate. I adopted, I overhauled the front page to make it more visually appealing and up-to-date amongst the other Gaming Wikias (because if the wiki were up to date and visually appealing, it could gain exposure on the main Wikia site and so the game would get more exposure, and I was all for that).

Unfortunately, Wikia had a lot of problems involving an older section of code for the wiki (SemanticMediaWiki) and the visual editor, and this started causing weird errors and stuff that I didn't know how to deal with because I was still very new to wiki-text and wiki-editing. It was frustrating, google searches got me nowhere, and people in the community started blaming me becoming an admin for all the new issues (because that's fair). I got upset and angry and lashed out, and I admit, it was wrong for me to do so. I was just starting in a very stressful college, I was under a lot of stress, and being blamed for something out of my control was too much. I started drifting away from the wiki, coming back only to delete pages marked for deletion, and do other admin duties. I didn't feel motivated to edit anymore, and every time I spoke in the forums or in-game about wiki-related things, I was blamed/yelled at some more. So I stopped.

Elteria and Terao started becoming more active, and this excited me. I was really happy to see contributions being made towards the wiki, hoping it could finally get some exposure on Wikia, and so get some exposure for the game. At the time, I played some other games to destress with my boyfriend, and noticed they had wikis that needed help too. After being blamed for so much and not knowing enough to fix anything, I went to those wikis to try and attain some knowledge. Wikis for Terraria, Starbound, etc. They had a lot of modern, functional code, and I was able to look through them and gather how I could adapt it for the Istaria wiki. This is where things got hairy again.

Terao made this post on my wall. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:13575 I kept my response as civil as possible, because it was ultimately an unwarranted message. There is no limit to the amount of wikis I can administrate or contribute to, and my time on other wikis was spent learning how newer wikis functioned so that I could bring the Istaria Wiki back up to speed with the rest. Time passed, I updated pages and kept up my admin duties in the background whenever asked, while Terao and Elteria did a lot of updating (which was always appreciated). Then this happened. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:15371

Terao was, again, heckling me about administration. Feel free to read up on the conversation there, where I remained as civil as possible while being bombarded by not one, but two, individuals and being judged on my activity (yet the other two admins weren't questioned on their activity, despite them being TOTALLY GONE. yet I'm around, and I get told I'm not doing enough.) I find it funny that he brings up admins being voted in; I followed that conduct to the letter back when I asked to adopt the wiki. Terao approved back then, so why he brought it up then is unknown to me.

Elteria leaves messages on my wall explaining her intentions with a specific part of the Wiki. We talked just fine on this subject. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:16329 This issue in particular is one that I went back to fix later on, by moving the information on Creature types pages into categories (since the pages themselves were short and could easily be made into categories instead), and that started some kind of downward spiral. These changes alone were enough for the two of them to throw a tantrum, Terao, instead of heckling me once again for administrator rights (which I had explained in previously linked threads were not necessary to accomplish his actions, and if he needed admin powers to do something, he could have easily asked me since I was quick to respond to any requests. I was desperate for something to do, something that I felt I COULD do since I was so scared of messing up anything like before, lest I be judged) went behind my back and tried to cajole the Wikia staff into giving him rights and lying by saying I was inactive http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Adop...a_Wiki_%282%29

When this plan of his failed, they both brought their tantrum onto the Wiki where I could see it. http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:16474 I was upset, I was angry, I had just gotten out of the game because I said something "out of line" in marketplace and got hounded by several members of the community to the point of crying and having to log off. Having this brought to my attention was the worst thing.

I'm tired of people saying I'm not an adequate admin when I tried my hardest to bring the wiki to a non-outdated state. I was blamed for things out of my control, and now that I finally have a lot of working knowledge with WikiText and SemanticMediaWiki, I've graduated from college, I have more time to dedicate to the wiki (and have been!), I fixed the templates and pages so that things won't break with the visual editor anymore... I get this. Now I get Terao and Elteria stealing years of hard work from the very small community of editors on the wiki, taking what little of an audience the Wiki had because everyone thinks they're in the right for doing this apparently, and getting blamed for my past mistakes yet again.

Thank you for confirming that the community always disliked me, Dualnay. I don't hold grudges and I've been trying my hardest with this wiki in hopes that people here would finally accept me, would finally appreciate what I was doing. I always wondered if everyone just hated me, or if I was actually doing something wrong. It's nice to finally have the answer to that.
    Its ok to admit that the lex looks better than the wiki and even a 12 year old can see that. don't be upset about it that in a matter of months they have outdone your work they obviously stole all of it.. despite the fact much of it was theirs in the first place.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

I visited that page on few occasions in the past and loved it much more than wiki simply enough because it doesn't have ads tht make browsing take forever. I don't care if content was taken from another page.

Thank you for your work
    Last edited by Tilithia; August 4th, 2015 at 12:20 AM.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    Thank you for your work
    What work? Stealing an entire wiki full of others' work and claiming it as their own. Yep, definitely a showstopper.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    What work? Stealing an entire wiki full of others' work and claiming it as their own. Yep, definitely a showstopper.
    I was actually just about to say that. Saved me a little time. I swear, logic and brainwork don't exist here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergial View Post
    I was actually just about to say that. Saved me a little time. I swear, logic and brainwork don't exist here.
    Verg you should be nicer to kida..
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

I'm going to lock this thread, as things have headed into less than positive territory. If there's problems with the new site, the people involved can work that out directly.
    Last edited by Yfelvik; August 4th, 2015 at 01:23 AM.

Thread Information