Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inscriptions not saving

Default Inscriptions not saving

Inscriptions are still not saving to spells or scales. Probably not to anything.

Craft something, anything inscribable. Put on an inscription. then either, relog, trade it to someone, put it in house storage, put it on consigner. You will notice the inscription is gone.

Tried t3 t4 t5 spells, t5 scales, but I am fairly certain this issue affects everything.

Old items I made and inscribed prior to this bug, still properly retain their inscriptions.

Default Re: Inscriptions not saving

I can't reproduce this bug. I've tried testing this on test, blight and chaos servers. I've tried creating Blood Bolt I-V. I right clicked all 5 spells, chose Customize and inputted an Inscription. Each one had a unique inscription. Relogging or trading the spells with another toon; they still kept the inscriptions.

Is any one else able to reproduce this error? Maybe if you provide a specific spell/scale name, along with tier, I can try that one.

The only thing I haven't tried was storing in a plot/lair structure as I don't have one. But I can build one if needed to test. I sort of recall another bug (maybe related) that if it's stashed in a plot structure, the inscription could be lost.?
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I have seen that error. Most recently I had to re-inscribe a dragon statue that Pharaxes had made, to make it an Awdz statue. Keeping it in a pouch seems to have kept the inscription, but I'm not sure if that's just because I have not moved it around from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    The only thing I haven't tried was storing in a plot/lair structure as I don't have one. But I can build one if needed to test. I sort of recall another bug (maybe related) that if it's stashed in a plot structure, the inscription could be lost.?
    Try using a publicly-available storage like the lair in Dralk or similar? I would test but I have programs that dislike Istaria running for work-related purposes today. :P

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

I haven't been able to keep inscription on my reklars scale and its in pouch when I don't use it. Inscrption is gone when I log in next time.

A thought... do you need latest client to save inscriptions properly?

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Don't feel bad about them not saving, I've done this for Spells and things too and it not save even when i logged out sometimes, but it mostly Happens as Guaran said, but no matter what you do it will loose the Inscription on Spells and Scales, I've not tried it on things outside of that much due to the fact i play a Dragon most of the time, hopefully this bug will be fixed one day.
    Order: (AlaeNymVoarx) - 79/72/32/1 - Helian Drake. This Drake is found on the Order Shard

Thank you Elteria for making my Sig for me!

Well, on blight I just tried it on 388.43 client, on a mithril marble armor chest scale. Inscribed it, then put for sale on Elissanna in Bristugo. Inscription gone.

The inscription doesn't save to the database anymore. Been broken since last September, so coming up on one year.

I'm still not able to reproduce this. I've went on Blight, created 5 Mithril-Marble armor chest scales. I gave them inscriptions Test1 to Test5. Logged out just to make sure. Logged back in, hover all of the scales, they still have inscriptions. Bought one back, still has inscription in my personal inventory. If you look at Elissana in Bristugo, you should be able to see this. Hopefully they will still be in her inventory.

Still have gotten vague answers, that sometimes yes and sometimes no. Maybe if people who make the simplest things, such as tools for new players and put them on Millicent can start adding inscriptions and see if they are sticking, could help. Just right click, Customize add a message in Inscription. Perhaps something as simple as "Crafted by playername".
    Last edited by Cegaiel; August 23rd, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    I'm still not able to reproduce this. I've went on Blight, created 5 Mithril-Marble armor chest scales. I gave them inscriptions Test1 to Test5. Logged out just to make sure. Logged back in, hover all of the scales, they still have inscriptions. Bought one back, still has inscription in my personal inventory. If you look at Elissana in Bristugo, you should be able to see this. Hopefully they will still be in her inventory..
    Is it possible that your login has some extra permissions to the database? Perhaps that allows it to save vs what a player would experience?

I can craft ANYTHING and duplicate this issue. Craft a spell, inscribe it, put in library, hover over, inscription gone. Anything placed for sale on consigner (on any consigner) looses the inscription as soon as its listed for sale. Hover over it in the connie's window, inscription gone. Buy it back, link it to other players, they will not see any inscription, you will not see the inscription.

Please keep investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Anything placed for sale on consigner (on any consigner) looses the inscription as soon as its listed for sale. Hover over it in the connie's window, inscription gone.
    I can also confirm this happens; I tested it with a random scale + the Aughundell consigner and the inscription didn't remain. I did try this when patched to Blight and playing on Order, so I don't know if it makes a difference on the Blight shard.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

I just tested this with a non-GM character on Blight at Elissana near 22132 22569

I inscribed a Self-Sacrificium VI techniqued spell, listed it for sale, logged out and after logging back in the inscription was still there (both when listed and after purchasing).

Could you please try inscribing an item with the text (DEV TEST - DO NOT BUY), then list on Elissana? I will buy the item and check the inscribe / try to inscribe myself.

Ok, I just placed 2 mithril marble armor scales for sale on Elissana on Blight.

One freshly crafted unteched scale, appears to be retaining the inscription. A (Previously crafted ) teched scale, which did not retain the inscription. So then I crafted a fresh, teched scale. Inscribed it, listed it for sale, the inscription is gone.

So it appears to only affect techniqued items. Since I tech everything I craft, it affects all of my goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfelvik View Post
    I just tested this with a non-GM character on Blight at Elissana near 22132 22569

I inscribed a Self-Sacrificium VI techniqued spell, listed it for sale, logged out and after logging back in the inscription was still there (both when listed and after purchasing).

Could you please try inscribing an item with the text (DEV TEST - DO NOT BUY), then list on Elissana? I will buy the item and check the inscribe / try to inscribe myself.

I've come across this issue myself several times on Order, and it's not happening consistently for me. I've crafted scales and spells for friends recently and one time exactly half the scales lost the inscription and the other half kept it when I traded them to my friend, another time I was in the middle of putting inscriptions on a bunch of spells and I crashed/relogged to find that some kept the inscription and some didn't seemingly at random. After those two particular incidents, I inscribed a backpack pouch I had in my inventory for ages with a test text and that still hasn't disappeared after many crashes and many relogs. I'll try fiddling around on Blight to see if I can find any patterns in this bug.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

I did a good bit of fiddling around with inscriptions of varying length and content and I could consistently get inscriptions with a character count lower than 80 to stay and inscriptions with a higher character count than 80 consistently didn't stay. Though I did have two different inscriptions that had 80 characters and one saved and the other didn't, which is odd. Based on this, I'm guessing that it might be an issue with some inscriptions being too long or possibly even something similar to the bug with the tooltips on hotkeys that caused a crash when they were too long.
    Last edited by Machaeon; August 25th, 2015 at 05:14 PM.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

I've managed to reproduce the bug with Mithril-Marble Armor Chest Scale and using a GM character. This is a great step and thank you for the steps in how to reproduce. The developers are now working with the test example. Since they've got something they can reproduce reliably, I'm pretty sure we'll have a fix soon.
    Last edited by Yfelvik; August 25th, 2015 at 11:59 PM.

A fix is in the works, but will require a new client and some simulation updates. In the short term, you can work around the problem by:
    - deleting the custom name (not the inscription) or providing a new custom name with a length of 64 characters or less
    - typing in an inscription

The source of the problem is that when the inscription is updated, it also sends up the custom name. The custom name has the various techs applied, so it's too long - which makes the entire update fail.

The fix is now on Blight
    Last edited by Yfelvik; August 26th, 2015 at 01:24 AM.

I just tested it on blight, and it still wasn't working for me. I tried the workaround of shortening the name, to just "Mithril Marble", clicked ok, then inscribed it. Put it on Elissana, it still wiped the inscription.

Did I try too quickly before the fix was on blight?

Maybe you have patching disabled? You'll need the new client.

I was running the 388.46 client.

The "Mithril-Marble Armor Chest Scale of Vengeance of Defiance of Eminence" has been placed on Elissana with a proper inscription. That test used to fail because the name is ridiculous long (with all the extra techs). The inscription on that item is "inscription-20" and was properly stored in the DB when set.

I tried your test of:
    - crafting item Mithril-Marble Armor Chest Scale of Vengeance of Defiance of Eminence (primitive 14567)
    - set custom name and save
    - set inscription and save
    - put on Elissana for sale
    The DB shows the inscription properly saved (and the custom name is reset so that other players know what it is in the list). When getting the item back, the inscription is maintained as well.

If you could do your tests again please with specific instructions on how to reproduce, I can also try to reproduce. When we've got an example that works consistently, the devs can focus on a fix. Thank you for your help with this bug.

Thread Information