Thread: Wolf's Bane (Aura) appears to not work [Resolved]

Question Wolf's Bane (Aura) appears to not work [Resolved]

Did some extensive testing on this while trophy hunting. All of this was done with the same character, same stats, same class (100 Flame Disciple). Hunted one specific mob exclusively the entire time, Enraged Yew Treant. Used Priceless Handwraps with 2 weapon sockets - first socket was same +Str crystal for all tests, second slot was Wolf's Bane for first two rounds, then removed the crystal and left slot blank. Flame Attack I was up 24/7.

Rounds 1 & 2 (with The Wolf's Bane)
    R1: 3204 hits - 126.68 avg dmg
    R2: 3792 hits - 126.507 avg dmg
    Total: 6996 hits - 126.5862 avg dmg

Round 3 (without The Wolf's Bane)
    R3: 5373 hits - 126.6955 avg dmg

I'm going to retest with 1 more long round with The Wolf's Bane in, just to make doubly sure after the servers come back up. Used handwraps because they are quick hitting - when I use the multiclass skill Magus Style I, which has a 5% chance of proc, it usually goes off at least once every 3-5 mobs.

To me it is looking like The Wolf's Bane is not working properly?
    Last edited by Tentabulis; September 29th, 2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Wolf's Bane (Aura) appears to not work

Update:
    Did another set with The Wolf's Bane:

R4: 5219 hits - 128.397 avg dmg

I also re-parsed my logs on the other tests - R3 was actually 128.6955. And I remembered that I took Berserker 96-100 between R2 and R3. Therefore, the relevant information is:

Round 3 (without The Wolf's Bane)
    R3: 5373 hits - 128.6955 avg dmg

Round 4 (with The Wolf's Bane)
    R4: 5219 hits - 128.397 avg dmg

Which, to me, says it is not activating at all on normal attacks. Does it only activate when you do special attacks/abilities?

Wolf's Bane has never worked...

I did some testing with this and also thought it was broke, initially. After looking at the parameters, it is set to only work (chance to proc) when using special attacks only. Not regular melee combat. A special attack is an ability attack (ie Warrior's Critcal Strike).

So basically, anytime you hit a hotkey, that uses an ability attack, thats when it has the 5% chance to proc.

But after discussion with devs, it's been decided to increase the % chance, significantly, since the cooldown on abilities might make that 5% chance seem almost non existent.

The description will also be updated to reflect that it uses special ability attacks.

--
    You can tell when it activates, because the mob you're targeting will show a specific icon in the target window, when hovered it'll say "Wolf Bane's Aura".

Last edited by Cegaiel; October 1st, 2015 at 02:32 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thank you Cegaiel and the devs for reviewing this! I had seen an older thread that mentioned it was only special attacks/abilities, but then a newer one seemed to indicate otherwise...great to know. Thanks for the update and review of the item - can see it making the Monk's Chain Attack line much more valuable to groups.

Thanks Ceg. when it lands on the mob, will we see any feedback such as "You used Wolf's Bane on Oak Treant" ?

Also, does it work from Dragon abilities? Wouldn't all of those essentially be capable of triggering? Seems like it never worked for me, but maybe that was when it first came out, and it had some fix applied since then.

Is it possible that the "reduces 50% base armor" is the problem, in that mobs don't have base armor? Or am I simply mistaken as per the norm?
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Ah. That could be it. But it would really affect the desirability of Wolfs Bane if that is the case. What about the epics, same deal? They have armor, just not "base" armor? Any chance that can be changed somehow? Seems like a lot of work. Perhaps some sort of change to how wolfs bane works... something similiar to banish armor maybe. Instead of 50% base armor, how about "incoming damage from all sources does 200% damage".

Dragons (players) and all monsters have base armor. It's just the biped players that don't, as they get no innate armor from their race/school. This should work as intended against mobs. Yes, this works with dragon abilities (special attacks), too.

There'll be a delta capture this weekend sometime, so look for all the recent changes coming to Blight soon. Please test it out when it hits blight and let's be sure it's working as intended before going Live. The chance to hit is going to be increased to 25% so you'll see it hit more often.

Icon was change from the generic icon to a brighter icon so it'll stick out more when it hits. Since this is a crystal, there's no way to make it cause a feedback message.

Last edited by Cegaiel; October 3rd, 2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

I tested this yesterday after the patch on Blight - it appears to be working correctly! When it wasn't active, I was hitting for an average of ~136, and when it came up those numbers jumped to an average of ~160.

% chance also seemed in line - with the delays between specials, it seemed a happy medium. Not enough to be "guaranteed," but enough that you could expect a little damage spike in long battles.

Thanks again to the team!

Thread Information