Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

Talking $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

I love the fact that there is a free to play option, which is basically an extended trial, allowing all races to be tried out. While the $9.99 option is not bad, I don't see myself playing 3 characters. The game mechanics with the overload of kill 10 rat quests is such a grind fest that I have no desire to play more characters. I do love my dragon though and would love to progress. It might bring more money to the game for those who tried out a free to play character and would love to progress past the free to play level cap, but who either don't have funds or don't desire using the extra character slots. It's better than losing the money of those who try out the free to play and decide that $9.99 is not worth it. If new players opt to level past the free level cap because they are invested in the one character they have, it's still money for the game. What do you all think?
    IGN - Primordia Starlighter - hatchling on Order

Default Re: $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

I second this. Also nice would be options for:
    Rent a plot (monthly fee)
    Add 100 item stack to vault for a specified character (token)
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Quote Originally Posted by Kesstryl View Post
    I love the fact that there is a free to play option, which is basically an extended trial, allowing all races to be tried out. While the $9.99 option is not bad, I don't see myself playing 3 characters. The game mechanics with the overload of kill 10 rat quests is such a grind fest that I have no desire to play more characters. I do love my dragon though and would love to progress. It might bring more money to the game for those who tried out a free to play character and would love to progress past the free to play level cap, but who either don't have funds or don't desire using the extra character slots. It's better than losing the money of those who try out the free to play and decide that $9.99 is not worth it. If new players opt to level past the free level cap because they are invested in the one character they have, it's still money for the game. What do you all think?
    If its for 1 character slot only.. Then it would be a good idea.. I support this.. Just dont push it with a Plot slot.. You want a plot buy the 15$ sub XD
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    If its for 1 character slot only.. Then it would be a good idea.. I support this.. Just dont push it with a Plot slot.. You want a plot buy the 15$ sub XD
    Except, I don't want to waste $10 on 7 character slots (that I won't use) and 150 extra consigner slots (which again...I won't use), the only plus side to buying the $15 sub would be the login slot.

but that's neither here nor there, big support from me for this as an extra sub option.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    Except, I don't want to waste $10 on 7 character slots (that I won't use) and 150 extra consigner slots (which again...I won't use), the only plus side to buying the $15 sub would be the login slot.

but that's neither here nor there, big support from me for this as an extra sub option.
    to clear it up a bit, I'm not supporting giving this 1 slotted sub a plot slot, I'm just in support of getting more ways of getting plot slots than dumping $15 each month or burning yourself out on advertising the game. (I tried with screenshots...never again)

I like it as the 1-character idea. There should be a way to convert it to the normal sub though, so the player is still able to get a plot later on.

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

Quote Originally Posted by Elteria View Post
    I like it as the 1-character idea. There should be a way to convert it to the normal sub though, so the player is still able to get a plot later on.
    If you choose a sub option, there is no way to change it later? Surely they would not have shot themselves in the foot with that.

On the current, there is. I just wanted to ensure it were there on whatever future option there will be :-)

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

As a recently returned player, currently playing free, I like the idea. While in years past, I was able to afford two subs at a time, (and had them for a couple of years), at the moment, alas, I am unable to justify the expenditure for even one...so, after a few years away, I have started a new account and am playing free. I could, I think, manage the $4.99 monthly charge, should that be adopted. (I am not destitute, just more fiscally responsible.)

I would not mind the lack of a plot, and it seems fair to me that that not be included. I do not mind that dragon characters are not included in the free-to-play, (or so I understand. They are a limited 2-week trial only, no?)

That being said...Order Shard is down to 20 or fewer players online at a given time, even on a weekend night during the holidays. Obviously, I cannot speak to Chaos Shard, as I have only the one character, but I would not expect it to be gravely over-populated, by comparison. There is an enormous quantity of unclaimed/un-owned plots and lairs on Order.

Further, when playing a dragon character as a paying client, I was inordinately fond of (and identified with) my character.

The plot and the dragon were what kept me paying the price. Those were the two things that kept me logging on, night after night. If I could play a dragon free right now, and build (and build and build...) my lair, I would easily become addicted to the game again, I believe.

If the owners of this game really want to increase the player base, I think the $4.99 subscription price suggested here would certainly help.

Further, optioning the rights to a plot add-on (for a further cost, or just as part the $4.99 upgrade), would not only generate additional income, but would aid and abet that all-important game loyalty (call it addiction, if you wish. I think of it that way.), and would be the siren call to draw players to the full sub.

As for the dragon...if a free dragon can attain flight, they will not pay for it. (I realize I am the one here who mentioned dragons. I would! Forgive me, please, for adding an extra layer to the discussion.) If I am mistaken, and they are free, then I would suggest that the ascension rites and flight not be available to a $4.99 account, but that dragon characters be part of the $4.99 upgrade in all other respects.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    As a recently returned player, currently playing free, I like the idea. While in years past, I was able to afford two subs at a time, (and had them for a couple of years), at the moment, alas, I am unable to justify the expenditure for even one...so, after a few years away, I have started a new account and am playing free. I could, I think, manage the $4.99 monthly charge, should that be adopted. (I am not destitute, just more fiscally responsible.)

I would not mind the lack of a plot, and it seems fair to me that that not be included. I do not mind that dragon characters are not included in the free-to-play, (or so I understand. They are a limited 2-week trial only, no?)

That being said...Order Shard is down to 20 or fewer players online at a given time, even on a weekend night during the holidays. Obviously, I cannot speak to Chaos Shard, as I have only the one character, but I would not expect it to be gravely over-populated, by comparison. There is an enormous quantity of unclaimed/un-owned plots and lairs on Order.

Further, when playing a dragon character as a paying client, I was inordinately fond of (and identified with) my character.

The plot and the dragon were what kept me paying the price. Those were the two things that kept me logging on, night after night. If I could play a dragon free right now, and build (and build and build...) my lair, I would easily become addicted to the game again, I believe.

If the owners of this game really want to increase the player base, I think the $4.99 subscription price suggested here would certainly help.

Further, optioning the rights to a plot add-on (for a further cost, or just as part the $4.99 upgrade), would not only generate additional income, but would aid and abet that all-important game loyalty (call it addiction, if you wish. I think of it that way.), and would be the siren call to draw players to the full sub.

As for the dragon...if a free dragon can attain flight, they will not pay for it. (I realize I am the one here who mentioned dragons. I would! Forgive me, please, for adding an extra layer to the discussion.) If I am mistaken, and they are free, then I would suggest that the ascension rites and flight not be available to a $4.99 account, but that dragon characters be part of the $4.99 upgrade in all other respects.
    I was simply offering the the idea of letting dragons progress past level cap from the free account, and letting them pay a low sub fee to continue leveling that dragon. Why restrict dragons from flying if they progress to points where they can ascend? That just defeats the purpose of my original suggestion which is removing the level cap with a $4.99 monthly fee so the characters can continue progressing. I would think that ascension is part of that progression. That fee is still paying for access to character progression, there is no reason to concoct more walls to force them to pay the larger fees, especially if the player is paying to play that one character only and has no wish to add more characters or to futz with a lair/player housing system. I want to play one dragon only, no alts, no player housing, just me and my one dragon. Maybe at some point I might want a lair or another alt, and I can upgrade my sub then. For now just one character without level caps or any other progression walls. I would still be a paying customer so no need to con volute ways to prevent hatchlings from flying or ascending. I'd be paying access to one character only who can progress as normal as in any of the other sub options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesstryl View Post
    I was simply offering the the idea of letting dragons progress past level cap from the free account, and letting them pay a low sub fee to continue leveling that dragon. Why restrict dragons from flying if they progress to points where they can ascend? That just defeats the purpose of my original suggestion which is removing the level cap with a $4.99 monthly fee so the characters can continue progressing. I would think that ascension is part of that progression. That fee is still paying for access to character progression, there is no reason to concoct more walls to force them to pay the larger fees, especially if the player is paying to play that one character only and has no wish to add more characters or to futz with a lair/player housing system. I want to play one dragon only, no alts, no player housing, just me and my one dragon. Maybe at some point I might want a lair or another alt, and I can upgrade my sub then. For now just one character without level caps or any other progression walls. I would still be a paying customer so no need to con volute ways to prevent hatchlings from flying or ascending. I'd be paying access to one character only who can progress as normal as in any of the other sub options.
    Good points, Kesstryl.

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post

If this gets in.. it would be 3 types of subs!

1 character slot same as free to play but you only get 1 character, (one your useing currently) also, same as the free to play I like it!

4.95 - (* 1 Character Slot *) Subscription - 1 month.
    No Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    15 Global Consignment Slots
    1 Concurrent Login

Basic Access - 1 month.
    5 Character Slots
    No Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    50 Global Consignment Slots
    1 Concurrent Login

Property Holder Access - 1 month.
    7 Character Slots
    1 Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    150 Global Consignment Slots
    1 Concurrent Login

Its a rough translation.. But it offers those Iffy people that dont wanna pay for the 9 or 14 sub XD

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by ArchDemon; December 29th, 2015 at 06:08 AM.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Post Re: $4.99 sub option for playing with one character slot past limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    If this gets in.. it would be 3 types of subs!

1 character slot same as free to play but you only get 1 character, (one your useing currently) also, same as the free to play I like it!

4.95 - (* 1 Character Slot *) Subscription - 1 month.
    No Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    15 Global Consignment Slots
    1 Concurrent Login

Basic Access - 1 month.
    5 Character Slots
    No Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    50 Global Consignment Slots
    1 Concurrent Login

7 Character Slots
    1 Plot or Lair
    Guild Ownership
    1 Concurrent Login

Its a rough translation.. But it offers those Iffy people that dont wanna pay for the 9 or 14 sub XD

Let me know what you think!

Sounds nice.
    Maybe a 4th option too - like: an extra plot or lair for an extra $4,95 a month but only in combination with a poperty holder access - 1 month.
    So:

(14.95 + 4,95 =) 19,90
    7 Character Slots
    2 Plots or 2 Lairs or 1 plot + 1 Lair
    Guild Ownership
    1 Concurrent Login

Personally I would love this possibility!
    Could also help to get rid of a number of the now empty plots/lairs and let the world look more inhabited ;-)

Anyone else who would like this 4th option?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
    Sounds nice.
    Maybe a 4th option too - like: an extra plot or lair for an extra $4,95 a month but only in combination with a poperty holder access - 1 month.
    So:

(14.95 + 4,95 =) 19,90
    7 Character Slots
    2 Plots or 2 Lairs or 1 plot + 1 Lair
    Guild Ownership
    1 Concurrent Login

Personally I would love this possibility!
    Could also help to get rid of a number of the now empty plots/lairs and let the world look more inhabited ;-)

Anyone else who would like this 4th option?
    YES! no seriously, this is basicly what I've been advocating for non-stop.

I'd still prefer something allong a $5 option for 1 plot slot to be applied to a sub (perhaps only applicable to plotholder subs?) as I would potentially like owning 3 plots in total, but this definately is a start.

There is already a character slot upgrade option for $4.95. Go to accounts.istaria.com, login, then go to add/renew service.

To use it, you must first have Property Holder access:
    What are the Account Upgrades and Features?
    You can add account upgrades to a Property Holder Access to extend or expand features available to you without having to purchase another full Access. Please note that this is only available for accounts with Property Holder Access.

Granted that the Service type info page
    http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/subscriptions doesn't specifically detail what the Character Slot upgrade adds. But it would be at least 1 character slot (might be more).

But basically there are already multiple choices available. If you are currently on a free account, then you need the $9.99 option which upgrade you from 1 to 5 characters.

If you have 5 characters and want a 6th, upgrade to Property holder access for $14.95 per month, or $12.95 per month when you buy 6 months or more at once. That's only $3 more. That will give you 2 extra character slots plus a plot. Pretty good value really.

If you already have 7 characters and want an 8th, do the above mentioned Character slot upgrade for $4.95.
    Last edited by Guaran; December 29th, 2015 at 07:42 PM.

Guaran, did you even try reading the thread before you replied? Honest question. What you're suggesting completely defeats the purpose of the idea in this thread.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

Think of my answer as a response to everyone with same or similar question to the OP, who will find this thread in the future when using search. I answered all three possible scenarios knowing full well that only 1 applied to the op.

I could have been clearer about that.

Thing to remember regarding the free sub option, it is mainly meant as a way to get people introduced to the game. The whole point is to draw someone in as the OP has, at which point they decide to convert to a paying option.

Want to play? You need to pay. Those servers aren't free. In other words I don't support a $4.99 subscription option. Free to play games always make you pay for other stuff, they call it microtransactions. And those just become pay-to-win games. Istaria has never been that.
    Last edited by Guaran; December 30th, 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Free to play games always make you pay for other stuff, they call it microtransactions. And those just become pay-to-win games.
    False. Completely and utterly false. There are tons of free-to-play MMOs that are anything but pay-to-win (Wildstar, The Old Republic, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, etc) and there are tons of pay-once MMOs that are doing extremely well for themselves (Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, Elite: Dangerous, etc). Please don't spread such misinformation and do a little research.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the subscription prices that Istaria is currently charging are far too much for such an outdated game, especially one that can't keep up with other MMOs of its time in terms of content and appearance (WoW, EVE Online). It WILL be the death of this game. I have personally suggested several alternatives, but if advice isn't heeded and the playerbase keeps stubbornly insisting that "everything's fine, really!!", there's not much I can do for a game in its death throes.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

And none of those games are worth a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    And none of those games are worth a crap.
    1) That's your opinion, not a fact.
    2) You play Istaria.

Thread Information