Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Race Idea - Naga's

Default Random Race Idea - Naga's

Hey all, New player here (loving this game)

Just wanted to pop in and mention one thing I have always searched for in mmo's and that was always a Naga (or Lamia) playable race. For those of you who do not know what a naga is, it is usually portrayed as half human half snake.

Anyway, I've only seen one game implement it and that was only in costume. It's sad since I feel this race has so much potential in customization and culture. (Just look at the background it has in Greek and Hindu mythology whew)

Mind you I already know that new races are out of the question and I know this will not be happening considering the new upgrade to the unreal engine (I believe I have this right?) But I just wanted to mention it since I saw no forums on it from my google searching (if there was I'm super sorry ) and I personally thought, if nagas were to show up in any game, it would be utterly awesome for them to be in a game like this.

So, with that said, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it since I for one love diversity!

Default Re: Random Race Idea - Naga's

I can say I would absolutely love to have the Lamias from the concept art added in at some point, add something of a world underwater... however I know it'll probably never happen unless we're obscenely lucky XD

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Only if they look like this! XD

link

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

It depends which server board I think is which.

Honestly, while I would love more races, someone's gotta be the party pooper here.

New races really aren't feasible at this point in time. Firstly, they would need a model and textures... Then lore and a home city, perhaps. Then they'd need nearly or over 100 animations to work with all of Istaria's various schools and weapons. The devs simply don't have the time nor resources for something on that scale right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    Honestly, while I would love more races, someone's gotta be the party pooper here.

New races really aren't feasible at this point in time. Firstly, they would need a model and textures... Then lore and a home city, perhaps. Then they'd need nearly or over 100 animations to work with all of Istaria's various schools and weapons. The devs simply don't have the time nor resources for something on that scale right now.
    Racktor is right, it does take a lot of work, but it's not simple as that. The dev team is small so and they don't have all that time to work on it.

it was on the orginal design a naga like species.. Im possitive it will show up over time. much like a canine race for one.. always have hope they shall come over time and when resorces are more..
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Hello everyone and thanks for the replies! I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner!
    Anyway in regards to everyone's comments:

@ Racktor and ZyrimShadowheart Of course! With a small team, doing anything in regards to content can take an extremely long time to which I understand and I would rather the team focus on upgrading the engine to unreal and going through any technical problems - making it shine before even touching the possibility of races.

With this said though my view was just to put the concept out there so perhaps in the way future (years from now) they may add more content
    and I'm glad you guys like it! That's all I was really curious about is if the community liked that idea for this race haha x'D

@Machaeon Ya I hear ya xD most of the time there's just too much on the plate and unless you have a bigger team at your disposal, dishing out content (Like races) Is just so difficult. (And even then sometimes that's not even the case. I saw a post in the past about the horse mount?? And someone mentioned how the engine itself just couldn't handle it x'D so one thing at a time!) The fact that they've gotten this far though and kept a steady pace on what is needed over what can be put off is amazing!
    I'm glad you like it too! ;3; They are very cool creatures and omg I do love me some underwater environments!

@Tilithia Great Idea! Though, I feel like there should be both customization options! That way people can have the outright reptilian look and others can have the human look as well. I just hope it's not a female over male thing. The ones in WoW kind of have that I think? The females seem much more human like so if you wanted a male 'human version' you couldn't x'D But great idea!

@ArchDemon Yes yes! Just the concept and idea but I believe everyone including myself would be psyched over new races, though just as Racktor and ZyrimShadowheart said at this moment in time it wouldn't be a good use of their time - they need to get everything stable and the engine update ect before they could even touch racial ideas, but hey it's not like it couldn't happen in the future! I love the canine Idea too perhaps wearwolves even so they can turn into that dog form but keep it so they could fit into the game (with gear ect) haha (but what am I saying, look at the dragons xD)
    OR maybe something like Mabinogi where you could 'transform' into a dog - anyway sorry xD I'm done with the random ideas.

Thanks so much guys! It was so much fun reading everyone's thoughts and perspectives!
    Feel free to add anything more

Cheers!

Personally, if we did Naga I would prefer them as enemies. More enemy types is always good. We have lots of existing player races.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Personally, if we did Naga I would prefer them as enemies. More enemy types is always good. We have lots of existing player races.
    Aww I see x) well to each his own and yes, enemy types are indeed always good! x'D Nice to meet you too and thanks so much for your input!
    Cheers!
    Order: Bolmauga (Hatchling Dragon) | Chaos: Sippii (Dryad)

Sounds a bit interesting but I know when it comes to a half human half reptile race, the Sslik's technically already take up that spot.

It depends which server board I think is which.

Half human half reptile's a bit.. vague. You could say that satyrs shouldn't exist because saris already take up the half human half animal slot.

Sslik are lizard people while nagas are snake people. Pretty different creatures, if you ask me.

Well... the Sslik's deity Kaasha is often depicted as a serpent as on the racial banner/mural for Sslik so I don't think the Sslik would be too offended if they were called snake-people. X3

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Hello everyone! Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStone View Post
    Sounds a bit interesting but I know when it comes to a half human half reptile race, the Sslik's technically already take up that spot.
    Half human half reptile's a bit.. vague. You could say that satyrs shouldn't exist because saris already take up the half human half animal slot.

Sslik are lizard people while nagas are snake people. Pretty different creatures, if you ask me.
    I agree with you racktor, I mean the fact that Ssliks have legs is probably the first tip off x'D But thank you for your input HeartOfStone! Ssliks are extremely cool and I understand your comparison but I do feel if you look at all of the races I don't think there needs to be any limitations

Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    Well... the Sslik's deity Kaasha is often depicted as a serpent as on the racial banner/mural for Sslik so I don't think the Sslik would be too offended if they were called snake-people. X3
    It is very cool that nagas are technically already in there considering Kaasha it almost makes you wonder if nagas were to come into the game (whether race or enemy ect) that they would be related to the Ssliks x'D However I still don't think Ssliks are anywhere near serpentine people (reptilian yes but snake no xD). They're more like humanoid dragons/lizards (Which is super cool!)

Amon no MMO has Nagas as a playable race.. This would bring a great income to the game you know? may even steal some wow players XD not to mention you Could do both.. Undead nagas and regular nagas too like every other race. Talking about the Full snake apperance nagas not the Ones of half snake half human.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

In the deepest, darkest of night, a vision comes to you...

http://www.istaria-lexica.de/images/...rian_Guard.jpg
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post

Neat picture, but that is all that exists of it. Sadly, no assets were ever made.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    Amon no MMO has Nagas as a playable race.. This would bring a great income to the game you know? may even steal some wow players XD not to mention you Could do both.. Undead nagas and regular nagas too like every other race. Talking about the Full snake apperance nagas not the Ones of half snake half human.
    I have never heard of that mmo, I'll have to go check that out!
    And wonderful Ideas! That would be utterly awesome to play both of those, No one has ever done the full bodied naga (the one with just the face ya?) That would be so cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post

Neat picture, but that is all that exists of it. Sadly, no assets were ever made.
    Is this in reference to Kaasha? It is very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sippiicup View Post
    Is this in reference to Kaasha? It is very cool!
    That is in fact concept art for the Lamurians (or Lumarians, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), a race that never made it past the concept stage allong with several others.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by Liseth View Post
    That is in fact concept art for the Lamurians (or Lumarians, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), a race that never made it past the concept stage allong with several others.
    oooo! That's awesome! Thank you so much for telling me!

Lamurians, as well as Demons, Angels, Vampires, orcs, goblins, and...

I ran out.

There! I forgot the Ku'lak!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Thread Information