Thread: Dragon RP seems to have all but dissapeared...

Default Dragon RP seems to have all but dissapeared...

Dragon RPbarely exists let alone permeates the dialouge on Dragon chat [ as it once did ]or in groups. [:(]
    I miss fiesty Lunus trying to take a bite out of my gnome.Dodgeing snoutskept me on my toes and helped me train my evasion skill. [:O]

Though intended to be a major factor in faction selection, there seems to be little consideration of faction ideology in the choice of faction by newer dragons difference between the RP of players from each. A 'useually' trait [ melee/scholar ]has surpassed an always trait [ factionideology ]as reason to choose faction which makes me very sad. Just as a Helian can be meleeoriented [ 1/3 of the Helian I know are ], personalised variations of faction ideals can be part of the fun. Evenoff the wall original RP [for thosedragons that remember 'the world ofBOB']such as'BOB'spiced up chat. I enjoyed the back and forth between players of each faction as it was all in fun [ granted every now and then a newb will take it too seriously, but last time I checked Order was an RP shard.. ]. I enjoyed playing HZ more when the RP was alive, am I alone in that?
    What I feelkills the RP chatis for a player to RP ideals that are diametrically opposed to the idealsof the faction they chose and claim to bepart ofthat [ based upon ideology ] they shouldbelong to the other faction or create an independantlike Helians who eat sentient bipeds or Lunus who wantequality for all races. It destroys lore based RP chatsand places the players who were RP chatting in the position to either move chat to private, quit chatting or disagree whichtends to create a ridiculous arguement. My request being that while whether or not aplayer RPsis one's choice, but please don't 'anti-RP' by trying to rewrite dragon lore, etc...

Bring back the RP! [:)]

[quote user=www.istaria.com]
    ****************Istarian DragonsFaction Lore *****************
    Even with the distinct and unique nature of Dragonkind in Istaria, there are certain realities of being that even the mighty Dragons cannot escape. For hundreds of years, the Dragons have endured what outsiders call the Great Schism. In what is known of current Dragon society (the Dragons are not fond of openly sharing the details of their personal business with the world at large), there are two major factions: the Lunus and the Helian. The Lunus view themselves as the paragon of civilization, and that the other races should serve either to praise Dragon civilization (from a comfortable distance away), or they should simply get the hell out of the way. The Helian see themselves as the protectors of knowledge and of the world at large; they feel the other races of Istaria could learn much from their example, and often inform them as much when they do decide to communicate.
    While at first, the differing philosophies of the factions never found themselves at odds, they began to clash when the maturing Living Races no longer feared and revered Dragonkind as they had in times past. The Lunus, typically the warriors of Dragon society, felt that the other Living Races, especially the Humans, would eventually spell the downfall of the Dragons and wanted to take appropriate action to stop it. The Helian, usually the scholars and mages among Dragons, countered the Lunus by saying that Dragonkind should take the lead in Istarian society, re-earning the reverence the other Living Races once had for them. The differences compounded between the factions, and over time became twisted as the inherent, unflattering draconic characteristics of possessiveness and greed twisted each side?s view to the point that they found themselves at odds. Eventually, both factions became so disaffected with each other that unless immediate and drastic changes were made, the Dragons might turn on their own. The Helian acted first, choosing to relocate themselves away from their ancestral home so that they could pursue their agenda in peace. The Lunus were not happy with their society being torn asunder, but they did not move to stop the Helian; cooler minds realized that a civil war would certainly have spelled the doom that they had been predicting all along.
    Though the Dragons now have turned their attention to the continuing threat of the Withered Aegis and their Undead Hordes, the memories of the Great Schism are still as fresh in their minds as though it had happened yesterday. The Helian have an open dialogue (as open as dialogue with a Dragon can be) with the Humans, the Dwarves, and the free city of Tazoon. The Lunus have found it necessary on occasion to work with their neighbors in the mutual defense of their lands from the Undead Horde. The Lunus share their dislike for the Humans with the Fiends, and this mutual dislike has fostered cooperation between them. The Dragons remain two distinct cultures to this day, and even though the menace of the Undead Hordes might force them to work together from time to time, there is little chance that the Dragons will reunite under a single banner anytime soon.[/quote]
    **I hope when/if faction based abilities are added that the strongest melee/magic attacks, such as gold rage and Silver str,are open to all dragons. Otherwise there could easily be a valid conflict between one's combat preference and thier 'ideals'.

Default Re: Dragon RP seems to have all but dissapeared...

ok, well First off - Dragon chat when it was created was never created, as far as I can tell, on ANY of hte RP shards as an "RP ROOM" in teh first place.

It was created, by players, for other dragon players - to get help/advice/pointers in game about how to play their dragons. As such, it remains that way.

Not saying RP is'tn allowed, because it is (at least on my watch I make sure its welcome and I participate as well), but it is also allowed to be OOC.

However - if you want Dragon RP - and can't find it in Dralk or Chiconis face to face enough to your liking.

Anyone and everyone, dragons and bipeds, are ALWAYS, welcome and invited to come to our guild's RP Room - KCERoleplay. We are an all dragon, RP enforced guild and we all RP in that room. The room's "Setting" is our guild lair clearing in Dralk - most of the time. Naka's are welcome - but if they try and kill someone well then...it shall be dealt with ;).

We have many factions who RP in there, and many between factions (unilike you, I believe there are more options than Helian and Lunus..and so does the game lore..those are just the biggest two - the "major" two, not the only two). And of course, there are many levels of Lunus and Helian in and of themselves.

But in any case, please, anyone who wishes to RP with us and with others come to the room. You can also join our OOC room that goes with the RP room - the KCEFriends - where entirely OOC discussions occur, and questions about RP are in there. The RP room is strict RP - there is no OOC questions/talk except for AFK/BRB notices to those RPing.

Dont have to be int eh guild to join in either room - we welcome all!! Come on down! :).

Dranar

Asilver andgold spotteddragon listens to the talk and rumbles softly in his throat, his claws lightlyrolling in a soft, steady, rolling pictsacto sound"Indeed, indeed... there are some true words you speak of, Jah,though perhaps it is time you look to other places as well? The "Ye Olde Pub" is a place for, well not just dragons, but creatures of all races... and ofcourse some wanders seem to gather at a "Forest Clearing" On occasion as well. Then of course there is the clearing of the Keir Chet K'eilerten (KCERoleplay and KCEfriends) that is an excellent place to encounter dragons of both Lunus, Helian, as well as persuasions that mesh both views... After all, even Helians might find a gnome rather tasty now and again." The dragon rumbles softly in his throat, chuckling lightly "Nothing quite as sweet, as gnomish feet, kicking as they go down, in the gullet they will drown." He cracks a soft smile "The ways of Helians are magic, knowledge, learning, and well we do offer guidance to those who will listen and want to learn. The others, in my opinion, can either go their own way, or simply serve as the occasional good meal. Naka breed far to quickly, one must cull their numbers now and then, A'na?" His earfin twitches lightly as he gives pause, his head bobbing for a moment. "I believe I have said my mind... though they do indeed exist, those that you seek, just look to other locations of more concentrated individuals."

~Allon

I am always RPing when about, though the dragon channel is mostly OOC now, unfortunately, though I'll always support the RP myself too when I see it (Though often while I lurk, I am not always speaking there or paying attention.)

I prefer face to face RP where others that pass by can join in.

However, it takes many players to help with Dragon RP. It makes no sense to me to RP in Dragon or KCERoleplay chat whilecharacter actions differ (such as contrary to lore guidelines or just using game mechanics). There are manyopportunities to RP in a group besides just leveling or speeding through a series of tasks. However, must be my perception, but there seems to be a race . . . much growth I've seen.

:: shrugs ::
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Just to add.

Adult dragons are role playing of having hatchlings. Yet in one case, the hatchling was moving about, in game, while the mother was a hatchling. This is very un RPish (was told hatchling was "unofficial" then).

Now, it seems, these newly born hatchlings are approaching level 40. WHAT THE FRACK? Where did the RP go? As in some time after mating for eggs to grow inside then be laid, then hatched, then some time at a level below 10 (say a week at least).

Someone should explain to me the value of role playing on a RP shard as a player's character becomesa level grinding toon. I am not getting it. When does the RP start and continue? At level 80 to match AE's "content"?
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

And Jah, it is good you highlighted certain aspects of dragon lore. There is another aspect, though, that is prevalent in dragons learning their abilities. That is a sense of EARNING them. Completing tasks for trainers.

Sadly, this is not necessarily reflected in player to player interactions. Really, hatchlings earn the knowledge from their trainers but just casually accept tier IV spells or marble clay scoops for hoard? Where is the equitable trade?

Or sit around in a biped group gaining dragon adventure experience from watching bipeds skillfully fight monsters. This would be okay, but I've not seen the RP (tells or talks) of the dragon's role in that group or to earn that learning. Again, dragons get adventure XP from finishing dragon tasks, but dragon adventure XP from . . . . well standing around in an adventure stance, maybe doing minimal damage IF the attacks hit - certainly dragon healing is not an ability to earn such XP from.

So let's look at dragon role playing from a larger picture, and not just text chatting.

Thread Information