We have the transfer tokens, we got a Blight -> Live transfer token, we now have an unlimited transfer token!...but they're all transfers.

Now, why do we need a copy token?

Some people just want to be with people on other servers. Others are tired of the population of their home server but don't want to leave their friends stranded if they leave. Others want to have a more gameplay-oriented experience on one server while also having a role-play-oriented one on the other but keep their same character. Many just want to be able to play on both servers with both crowds without having to entirely wipe the slate clean and start over. Plus, if we keep getting different events for both servers, who doesn't want to try and attend them all?

These people did all the work, after all. They just don't want to have to do it again because the opposite server is a transfer only, making you wave goodbye to your plot and your friends.

I understand the concern with transfer tokens. I can think of issues right off the bat.

1. Pricing. Is it more expensive or less expensive than transfer tokens? If more, would people even buy it? If less, who would ever buy transfers?
  2. Copying a character means duplicating everything. Meaning you can copy. And copy. And copy. And suddenly your 1 new epic item becomes 3 over on the other server and money rains upon thee from your copied supplies of gold!

Thing is... this is all that comes to mind. And I can easily respond to both of these points.

1)
To be honest, I would buy a copy token even if it cost double the current transfer token and that's not even a exaggeration. Personally, I would seriously pay $50 to copy my main to Chaos. Of course not all will, but a copy token would probably be something that is held in high regard and something many people would want. There are so many people I've spoken to who would love to copy their character to Chaos or to Order to hang out with their opposite-server friends or participate in opposite-server events but don't want to lose their home server. Considering current transfer tokens are $25 a piece, maybe copies could be $30? Or lower transfer to $20 and make copying $25? Something a bit more expensive, but still tempting.

2)
Restrictions. Very heavy restrictions. For Blight -> Live right now, we have it so that you cannot transfer a copy, you cannot transfer a character that has existed for less than 2 years, you cannot transfer a character with GM/testing items, etc. Those are to prevent Blight characters from becoming the new way to level characters in a sort of pay to win way since Blight has double coin, double EXP, etc.

So, for live, we could implement these restrictions:
  • You cannot copy a character that has already been copied recently - minimum 1 year interim.
  • Copied characters cannot be duplicates. A pre-existing copy must be deleted to make way for a new copy.
  • Legacy items cannot be copied. (For example Primal Vengeance, Primal Flash, the Moss Club, etc) This is to avoid trading the item to another person and then re-copying your character to create duplicates, even over years. (It could be scanned for/deleted from the copy's inventory to avoid having to delete it from your character's inventory pre-copy, I imagine)

So how does this sound? What do you all think?