Thread: Server Merge

Hybrid View

Default Re: Server Merge

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    The solution was simple...leave it as is! If players want to stay on Order shard then let them. They know just like we all know that there are not many players there to communicate with, but that's their choice.
    Saying "don't merge the servers" is not a solution to the question of what to do about plots with multiple owners if a merge happens anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of merging the servers either, but I do understand that I don't own Istaria and a merge may happen with or without me. And if that merge does happen, I want to have input in the process so that it will possibly be less painful. A portion of a game's population being vehemently opposed to something does not mean that it won't still happen in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    If the business next door is failing why should your business have to suffer because you are on the same street?
    It is not good business to make preference over equal paying customers.
    If it is on the table or being considered to combine the two servers then do it right for all players.
    These aren't separate businesses, though. They're two servers of the same game, and if Order loses players due to appearing to be a dead server, then that affects Istaria as a whole. If a merge does happen, then yes, it is important to do it right, but there is no way to merge servers in a game with plots like in Istaria that is painless for all parties. It just isn't possible.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

@Raptress here's to hoping it will be a well thought out plan

cheers

I have to fully agree with Arzel. ATM, I do not see VI being the ones worrying about a server merge, only players. If VI wants to keep both servers open, and we have copy tokens in place, there is no real need for a merge. I do think that if a player wants to move because of such things as not being able to complete quests and the like, they shouldn't have to pay for it. If they just wish to copy and play on both, then pay. If a server is too low in player activity, then they should have at least a one time chance to make the move for free, since they are paying customers.

As far as all these opinions go here?? they are just that, opinions and players don't need to decide if a forced server merge should happen. If I see VI making the announcement that it will merge, or asking for suggestions as to what should happen due to a forced merge... then I would have to make a response. As players, none of you should even be bringing this up. You have a choice now with tokens, why push it from here? Let VI decide if it feels it "needs or wants" to merge.

I have seen many games where as you start your login process, you may choose which server you'd like to play that day. Usually on games that have multiple servers including pvp and non-pvp. Players can switch to which one they want at that particular time. Can something like that be applied here? I figure this isn't a new question, I do not know if it has been suggested before.

No disrespect intended. Players are not the deciding vote here, nor should they be.
    Last edited by Malicore; April 24th, 2017 at 09:20 PM.

The thing is, most of the devs don't often actually log in to the servers to determine whether or not something like this is needed. The devs that do log in on a somewhat regular basis are only volunteers and don't exactly have the final say on the topic. This thread is a way of bringing the topic back up to the attention of the higher-ups who can say whether or not it's needed or something that should be done. ... and maybe offering a suggestion or two that could help smooth things over if it does happen.

There's a reason Order doesn't get massive pre-planned raids with stories tied in to them anymore and that's sad to see... I can't remember where, but Sarsilas has said that they just can't expect a large enough turnout to those big raids anymore and so won't be hosting the big event raids there anymore.

I honestly would love that functionality you suggest, but I'm not sure it could be done with the current tech though I'm certainly no expert on that general area...

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Well, it would be nice if that option I previously spoke of could be added. If not, well, not much we can do. It would be great if players could join from another server to help with a quest when needed, and return to their own server by relogging. Or being able to log onto the other server to complete something, then return to their life on Order and play the way they like and no one needs to give up anything. This could also help improve Orders population, since new players won't be bound due to lack of player support with quests.

Vying for a forced merge is unnecessary. Let VI worry about the servers. you already have 2 options. Move or copy and play both. This was done to let players make their own choice of where to play and when. There is nothing in this thread that is compelling evidence that a forced merge is "required", or needed.

Though I still believe if you feel you need to move due to inability to complete what is needed and you don't want to stay on Order, a one time "free" option should be available. Then the account is flagged as having been moved once, so if they decide to move back they should pay.
    Last edited by Malicore; April 24th, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

@Malicore:

Yep, pretty much what I suggested. I would be perfectly fine with a free, one-time option to move to chaos. No complaints, none. Wouldn't even think about the merge again. All I want is to spend 15 dollars a month and to not feel like I'm playing a single player game.

Thread Information