Thread: Crash out to blue screen

Roland1977

Default Crash out to blue screen

This appears to be completely random. The game will just quit and I get a blue screen of death (In Windows XP nonetheless) and the computer does a memory dump. Any ideas?

Default Re: Crash out to blue screen

Any more information from the BSOD?

gopher65

You are joking right? I didn't even know the dreaded Windows Blue Screen of Death existed in WinXP!

Is this related to the ISP problems AE has been having?

what kind of video card you have and what driver version you have. I rember when I had the gefroce 6800 I would get the deadly blue screen all the time at random points of game play.

Rawr Beware of Blue you have been warned[:P]

Double post, please delete

Werkseikojin

Roland: We need some specs on the machine... Please let us know if you have any troubles getting the information...
    Cpu Speed
    Video card make and model (this usually tells us the proc type and the amount of memory on it)
    Amount of ram (or system memory)
    Game settings (weather you have defaults, higher quality than default or lower quality than default)

Also something to make sure about; little to no taskbar apps running (taskbar apps are to the left of the clock in the lower right corner (default location in windows))...

Mmmm Antivirus off?
    Popup blockers?
    Custom windows skinning (like themes for windows... some are resource intensive)...

Roland1977

System info:

1.5 GHz AMD Athlon XP
    768 megs RAM
    GeForce 2 Ti 64 meg graphics

Graphics settings are relatively low. Wanted better game speed. As for stuff in the systray, there was a few, and I turned them off.

This isn't driving me away from the game, and it doesn't happen often. It just seems to happen at times when I wish it wouldn't. No real pattern to it, however.

Thanks for the responses.

Roland1977

I have found that it seems to happen most often when other people are around. Twice it has happened while I was trying to talk to someone.

Have you got the latest video card drivers? due to you having an old card it may not be fully supported

if you have the money id upgrade ya card a tad

otherwise check all your drivers are latest, right back to work

Roland1977

"Praying for gift certificates to Best Buy for Xmas..."

you wrote that you use a AMD CPU with 1,5 Ghz...do you have by any chance a Motherboard with a VIA Chipset and maybe did you install the AMD Hyperion Chipset Drivers ( mostly theAGP Driver ).

If that is the case the bluescreen has the same reason to appear like on my system, a rollback to the Orginal XP Servicepack 2 AGP Driver solved the bluescreen Problem, now I "only" crash to the desktop.

If the Bluescreen happens, what is the system message you see ?

Maybe you see "infinite Loop in Device blahblah <insert display.dll here>"

a other advice, if you got several Bluescreens:
    check for files with the extension *.dmp ( the dumpfiles ) each file has the same size like your system memory ( if the savedump is set to full ), those can fill a harddisk in time pretty good...just delete those *.dmp files.

otherwise, good luck with a new christmas gift[:)]

Thread Information