Thread: "League of the Extraordinary"

Default "League of the Extraordinary"

Instead of hijacking "Latest trend on Elnath" I thought I'd start a new thread.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Aamer Khan wrote:

It only comes to an end if we give in to such things.

Let's keep it together folks! We who have been here a year or more KNOW each other. We should form into associations.

On each shard, let's start a "League of the Extraordinary". To become a member, you must have been playing 1 full year ( 365 days ). This will NOT be to exclude all others, but will be to set the lead for others. Members will be expected to patiently explain why they will not be powerleveled, and how anyone can work their way up the levels to reach the same lofty goals.

Along with training newbies, we can help organize shard wide events, and construction projects.

Anyone interested on Chaos, just join the channel
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Aamer, I don't think this will do anything except fail after about a week or turn into a guild with the requirements of something like, must have been playing for a year and have minimum rating of 130.
    There won't be any benefit to the community, it will just exclude, even though you say it won't.

There are already associations within the realms, Guilds.

Perhaps a different approach would be getting Guild Leaders together (regularly) to plan and organise events and projects.

The job of mentoring newbies should be left to the officers and senior members of the guilds that remain active and interested.

Default Re: "League of the Extraordinary"

It won't work also because.

You want to make playing the game a job and give responsibility to people. Then it ceases in being a game and becomes a job. Thats a quick road to resentment and the cancel button.

The community is there to be hospitable to new players. It isn't there to hold their hands throughout it all.

Its up to Tulga Games to make HZ the game fun and enjoyable. Community is just bonus in any MMO.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the idea at all and I applaud Aamer for the idea and possible efforts. Whats wrong with helping new players? Whats wrong with trying to organize player run events and organizing large Istaria construction projects? Surely, there is nothing wrong with experienced long term players working together to make Istaria a better place and helping in areas where possible to make it more fun for everyone. However, your right, it is AE/Tulga's job to make the game entertaining, but players have every right to do their part to helpif they so wish. Maybe it will help, or maybe it won't, but I see no harm in trying.

I remember when I first started playing a year ago, I was around level 20 adventuer and I took part ina massive effort to help rebuild Istarian structures, but the only way I could help was to be a "runner" becuase I had no construction crafting skills. At first I thought "this is gonna suck just carrying stuff and running back and forth", but once I saw the extent of how many people were taking part in this effort and knowing I was making a difference in Istaria, I had a really great time and meet some really great people. Now, I'm sure not everyone would enjoy being a "runner", but I did.

I also remember reading several post of new players in the game that took part in some player run events, they posted stating how they had a really great time during the event and thank'd each and every player who made it possible and was looking forward to more of them.

As for this whole debate on power leveling, I don't care if anyone wants to power level, if they enjoy it, then by all means have at it and enjoy yourselves. But, if you was to ask me to assist you in power leveling I would say no because I do not support it, however I would assist another player in any way possible and help where I can.

The only problem I see is that I wouldn't stop being a guild leader just to join this league, because even though my guild is small, I'm working hard to bring it back to life, starting with a few friends and family members. But I would help to take part in this effort, and do so happily if my assistance could be of use because the effort is a positive one. Maybe doing this more on the lines of having guilds and players either "officially join" or "unofficially (as in my case), would be a great idea. I may have misunderstood this thread all together and have posted way off track, but this is just my thoughts on the idea if I understand it correctly.
    - The Paladin is the Judge, the Jury and Executioner!
    - Zarcharien Justice - Lvl 100 Paladin & 71 Armorer
    - "Evil can only triumph, if Good stands by and does nothing."

Thank Zacharien!

You actually hit on the head what my intent was. Perhaps the name was over the top. Perhaps the "requirements" are too much...

BUT...

Back on bounty such associations have worked very well. Some hate the idea of "councils" or groups that guide. Thats fine. I would never want or expect anyone to quit their guild to join such a body. Its sole purpose would be to give our world an easy to identify body of players that are already prepared and willing to help newer players. This of course would take experience, and thus the time in game requirements.

Let me modify this idea a bit more inline with comments here.

Let's call it the Artisans of Istaria. Membership is voluntary. And the only requirement is to be available to assist new players if they ask. If this idea goes over it helps any new players by giving them a ready source of information. If it does not then, then it probably is not needed.

Only time will answer if it will work, or even be useful.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

From what you are saying Zarcharien, you are doing the right thing. Any guild's ethos should be about providing a positive experience for its members. Whether it's PL'ing, roleplaying, recruiting, building, crafting or adventuring, if they're having fun, doing it with others and not hurting anyone, it's a good thing.

Yes, Tryagain, it's up to AE/Tulga to provide the framework for the gaming experience, but the post wasn't about that, it's about building community.

You can't get an NPC to show you how each class solo hunts or participates in group hunts and the tactics involved in each.
    AE certainly doesn't have the staff to sit there and lead each new player through the hoops to develop their skills and knowledge of the game.
    They (AE and pretty much every other MMO and MUD) rely upon the players in the game to nurture, help and assist.

The people who have taken this game on as a job are the GMs, Heralds, board mods etc. If they wish things to succeed then there has to be a bit (maybe a lot) of work and responsibility involved.

The amount of effort these people willingly put in has a direct impact on player numbers in game.

That is why I said the guild leaders are the folks that should be targetted with getting things moving, not just anyone who has stayed around long enough to earn an "extraordinary" badge.

A few people naturally wish to lead and organise, some like to assist, most just follow along for the ride.

Maybe instead of starting up a new channel, the members of the "Artisans", or just anyone, volunteers to spend time in the Help channel.

Aamer, as Herald you have the opportunity to promote and do a lot of good for this cause. I wish you well.

gopher65

Well, I seem to get tells from every newbie ingame as it is (I must look friendly or something), so joining the artisans wouldn't cramp my play style at all[:P]. Occasionally helping a newbie complete a quest (all three of them:D), or find a crafter to make them an item, or help them with the game interface is no problem.

Kault

Isnt it odd that we play MMORPGs (meaning games allowing us to interact with other "real" people) and then complain about how some of them act. Like any other endeavour where we come into contact with others, there will be some that we like to interact with and others that we dont like to interact with. Thats what the "ignore" feature is all about.

With that said, as a casual player of around 9 months or so who came to HZ for the roleplaying more than the exp grind (and whose highest rated character is only a 25 as a result) I must say that I find cliqueishness of many high levels to be more disturbing than all the "Dewd talk" spamming power level wannabe noobs put together. Playing an online game should be all about being inclusive rather than exclusive.

Just my 2 copper worth. At the rate things are going downhill for the HZ community I wont be around much longer to care what happens anyway.

Thread Information