Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with power leveling?

keltic

Default Whats wrong with power leveling?

I constantly see people that are complaing about power leveling. I see people that say power leveling is bad, but they will only do it for people in their guilds. Then i see people say that they dont like power leveling, but if someone asks nicely they wont pick them up that time, but mabye next time.

I must admit the I am not an "uber" player as they say but i have spent my time in Istaria. Pulling many off all weekenders and noticeing that for some reason the sun is going down when you just looked outside an hour ago it was just comming up. I solo alot of time, and fly around to explore the world. Personally i dont see anything wrong with getting some "free" levels now and then. I hunt alot within my guild, and ocassionally get alot of levels of out it (by alot im talking about 3-4). I will however group with almost anyone as long as they aren't complete jerks about it.

Dont get me wrong I am extremelly against leeching for xp. In fact the number of people that do that has been growing lateley. [8o|] I dont mind how ever grouping with lower people to take the out hunting for a while and to show them good spots to hunt for around there level.

I dont think that it is wrong to power level to a certain extent. The only time that i belevie that power leveling becomes a problem is when the person that you know "outgrows" the knowldge of the character they are playing for the levels they are in. For i.e. if you take a lvl 5 person out and level them up into the 30's they will have no idea how to control their character and use their abilites to the best they can. However, if you level a 50 character to 55 or say 60 they wont "outgrow" the knowldge of there character, since they have had a decent amount of time in game, and can pick up their new abilites fairly quickly. Now leveling a lvl 50 to 65 would be wrong in my eyes.

I guess my point is that I belevie that power leveling in moderation serves a good purpose. Power leveling only becomes bad when they lose a grasp on the fundementals of controlling their character.

[:-*]What does everyone else think????[:-*]

gopher65

Default Re: Whats wrong with power leveling?

I don't think anyone is screaming bloody murder over a few lvls gained in a single night keltic.

What bothers people is when people who should be newbies are PLed so fast that they can't use their character (as you already mentioned). As far as I know that is the only kind of PLing anyone strongly detests.

Of course right after I post this someone will come along and prove me wrong[:)]

In moderation - a few levels here and there then learning to use the new abilities and spells - is good. That and actually contributing to the group's efforts in a meaningful way.

The extreme should not be tolerated. Those being the leechers that do nothing but type /g ding

I guess the other example are those players that powerlevel a secondary school for some masterable ability. Other than the ability, they care little about that school (as in not bettering statistics or skills) - the prime example is Multicast and Perfect. Obviously something allowed by Tulga/AE's game mechanics, but dilutes the flavor of playing their preferred class.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

There is a big difference between picking up a few levels with your guild, and getting 300 levels handed to you in a few weeks time...To see a triple 100 who doesn't know their abilities get trounced by a mob that I can easily take is both laughable and sad, and above all, just plain wrong...Why am I powerful? Not for my levels, but because I know how to play my character with maximum efficiency...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

It may be wrong, but so what? So they get killed. The overachieving inept do not do me any harm. They play their game, I play mine. This isn't PvP.

Their inexperience, and ineptitude mean that if they solo they wind up in over their heads. Okay by me.

Great bait for righteous indignation, but I honestly feel no harm comes to me or to another player because of it. AND, they subscribe. That part I do like.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

i know what you mean if people PL and dunno what does what not our prob ok 300 levels in a few weeks sure that is wronge...although ive been playing for a year now (powerleveling whenever i can) and still im not 100 yet bt i do know how to play my charector....onless you want me to make cash i think if there 100 and gimps and die alot we have a name for that NATURAL SELECTION
    although people who dont even try to do anything should be penalized sure but thoose who can actually do an aceptable amount of damage to the mob should not be i for one as long as its not treants or oastics prolly could do an aceptable amount of damage i also can debuff mobs which helps people out
    but sitting and not doing anything but typeing /g ding or if they have a group window up and just typeing ding i can see complaining about....stop complaining you hurt them you hurt everyone else (we may have what they did to dragon hoards equalized in exp)or in other words killing an ubber level mob and not getting much anything for exp ect you gotta be careful when talking about the player base its a delicate thing...its about as stable as a coin on its edge
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

MMAI_ice

True, true and true Kulamata. Let them powerlevel and reach their 20th century, it doesnt harm me either.

And if they feel they are burned up, too fast and too quick, they can always try to reach lvl 100 gatherer....

I can usually tell who has been powerlevelled by the way they fight and die. You just need to take note of how they fight and use the wrong spells/abilities in the wrong situations. I have met many powerlevelled chars on Unity and they always make me giggle due to their inept fighting skills and lack of understanding regarding what their current school is all about.

For me rating means nothing at all. I have fought with alot of peeps higher in rating than me but have met not many who can stand on their own feet in given situations. They end up dead fast and ya just got to laugh.

If that is the way they want to play the game then so be it. It is no skin of my nose. Most of the skin is off their nose because they just don`t have a clue.

Next time you are part of a group hunting take heed of what others around you are doing and it can be quite hilarious lol
    Orophin Eluch - Elf

Disappeared without a trace....

Soulfyre

I have to agree with Cylian. Some of them are good for a laugh...

The occasional friend helping a friend a little bit for a few levels is ok. But, in general, I think it is a very lazy way to play. It would be nice to prevent the lazy from doing it.. but there is always someone looking for a way to reach the top with minimum effort.I don't think their doing so affects my gameplay directly though.

The sort I can't stand are those that talk about their greatness after leeching the whole way. Don't brag about being a big boy when you need someone else to change your diapers! Ugh. But this is pretty easy to eliminate from my time in game too. If they act ignorant and rude... the ignore feature works wonders. Then I can snicker and point.. "Oh look.. a mime!".

To me, being powerleveled has to be one of the most uneventful monotonous forms of play a person can ever do in a game like this. The challenge of trying to get near the mob before your high level buddy obliterates it... "Oh! oh! I almost hit that one!" It leaves me with a sense of "Gee.. I'd rather be waist deep in a swamp picking leeches off my rear.". But that's just me. [:P]

If standing around like a worthless wart on a baboon's backside is what they think of as fun... more power to 'em! Just don't ask me to do the same and don't ever expect me to be impressed by them or their levels.

What we need is a new stat that shows up instead of rating, something
    like (Time in Game / Total Number of Levels). That would give you a
    better idea of how useful someone was.

AZVladimir

What we need is the level gap rule to work both ways. As a level 100 cleric I don't get experience for killing a level 10 Grouk. In the same respect, a level 10 Cleric shouldn't get experience in a group killing purple necros.

Step back and think about it in a RL sense, do we PL Doctors? An 8year biology student watchingBrain Surgery isn't going to learn a thing about Neuro Sciences because he doesn't have the skills to even understand what is being done. Same goes from a level 10 watching me kill a Mith Golem, the chances of them 'learning' (in a game sense) is 0% and they shouldn't get XP as a result.

Mark

Corelleon

Because powerleveling is BS thats why. It is a type of exploit. And if the dragons all had thier HV rolled back for 'cheating' then these wankers with 8-15 lvl 100's on thier toons should all be rolled back too. I've seen some of these people on hunts on Sat Islands. They stand thier, get 30 lvls in 2 hours and then are all ok I'm gonna try X class now and scurry off and return as X class, stand there get a ton of lvls in it, etc. Frankly I don't see the fun in standing around, letting someone else do ALL the work and be an XP syphon so you can go boast oh I'm lvl 100 druid now, oh I'm lvl 100 monk now etc and NEVER once solo'd the class or even tried any of the abilities. What is there to be proud of? Saddest thing these 'people' are the most arrogant in game, trying to act elite when they never earned any of thier lvls. Also they tend to run like hell if the meatshield dies. Someone with that many lvls of 100 on thier toon should NEVER need to run unless its a mob that they singlehandedly can't handle. Yet it happens, you see mr I have 5 100's on my toon running away from a purple tarantule instead of turning around and kicking its ******. Its laughable and pathetic. We don't need these people in game. Not to mention some are PAYING via PAYPAL to be pl'd. I'd think AE would be a bit offended some losers are using thier game to make a bunch of cash off of pathetic people who can't earn their lvls like MOST of us here have.

I totally disagree with powerleveling, but frankly nothing can be done against it...

A lot of the PL is being done on the Satyr islands...

Maybe a few ideas to make it more dificult for powerlevelers...

Satyr Islands:
    1)Let the fellow who opens the portals give a SOLO adventuring quest, killing many beasts (lvl 80+ mobs maybe?) for example... This would cancel out the newbies going there to be PL...
    2) Maybe pose a minimal adventuring lvl requirement not looking at rating but ONLY the joined school... maybe lvl 60-70?

General:
    1) Place a sort of like "activity" checker ingame (if posible) that only those that use multiple abilities(ONLY attacks and healsNO (de)buffs) or at least attacks within a specified time can get xp for a group kill...

Those that attack might be able to gain experience, but those that watch don't...
    I like the comparrison with the brain surgeun!!! [Y]
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    Satyr Islands:
    1)Let the fellow who opens the portals give a SOLO adventuring quest, killing many beasts (lvl 80+ mobs maybe?) for example... This would cancel out the newbies going there to be PL...
    2) Maybe pose a minimal adventuring lvl requirement not looking at rating but ONLY the joined school... maybe lvl 60-70?
    to 1. : nice Idea
    to 2. : bad idea, I was happily solo killing on the satyrs with a lvl around 20, a Fyakki here a Spider there and Spirit Bolts for all[:D] that was just before I hit lvl 40 and started to solo hunt the lvl 120 Fyakkis[:P]

Joaqim - Multiclassed God on Unity
    "I'm Immortal, I'm Glorious, I'm Supreme, I'm My Saviour"

Beleenda - Goddess of Melee
    "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out"

A guildmate of mine got very pissed at a dryard the other day. The Dryard was lvl 30-40 and didnt had a clue about any basicsof the game. So either this char was leeched or tok over a friends account. Well the player must been very young and my friend have patience but it was still tooo much for him to handle and he went furious more or less...

I heard a rumour about that leeching will be stopped and it good really as Im tired of meeting lvl 20 at satyr Isles asking to be leeched. The Satyr isle is wrong isle for a lvl 20.
    Vanaondo
    The RP guild Kushan Sogd at Harro, Unity Shard
    Download and install Pekkas Map Pack v2.9 today and HCC 0.26 Beta is there too

It has been said before - you want to stop power levelling at the Satyr islands, mix the mobs up a bit. Make 1 in4 mobs at the satyr islands spawn a vexator. Since that way people kill at the moment is to mass pull 20-30 mobs them AoE them, and vexators react so badly to magic, this would limit how many could be pulled. It would also mean that melee people as well as magic users would be needed.
    Crafter 190 Adventurer 149 Dryad - Order

Power leveling is done by folks who generally know how to hunt.

People being power leveled have a tough temptation to overcome. I constantly advise guildies against it because the first class to 100 is downright fun. In fact I have done it twice and it was a blast (pre & post merger). It also leads to players that cannot solo mobs 20 levels below them and players without hunting etiquette and appropriate hunting areas (pulling/dying/aggro to other folks - hunting lower level task mobs, etc).

Therefore, if a guild does insist on power leveling a member they have 2 key responsibilities:
    1) Teach the player how to solo
    2) Teach the player etiquette and locations

Otherwise, the person will unknowingly grief others before quitting an impossible adventure game. If these conditions can't be met then don't power level people period. You are not doing them, the shard, or the game as a wholeany favors.

Don't make Frankensteins unless you intend on taking it the full distance.
    Sajid,
    Lone Lizard of the Apocalypse

Champions of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Sajid
    Therefore, if a guild does insist on power leveling a member they have 2 key responsibilities:
    1) Teach the player how to solo
    2) Teach the player etiquette and locations

Otherwise, the person will unknowingly grief others before quitting an impossible adventure game. If these conditions can't be met then don't power level people period. You are not doing them, the shard, or the game as a wholeany favors.

Don't make Frankensteins unless you intend on taking it the full distance.
    Couldn't have put it better. Thank you, Sajid. [Y]
    snickel wigglsniff (retired) Twilight Crusaders on Unity
    poggle wigglsniff (gnomish crafter and mage) semi-retired on Order
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    A gnomish house should not just sit there, it should definitely DO something!

Gwynnifer ApHelion

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy
    I totally disagree with powerleveling, but frankly nothing can be done against it...

A lot of the PL is being done on the Satyr islands...

Maybe a few ideas to make it more dificult for powerlevelers...

Satyr Islands:

General:
    1) Place a sort of like "activity" checker ingame (if posible) that only those that use multiple abilities(ONLY attacks and healsNO (de)buffs) or at least attacks within a specified time can get xp for a group kill...

Those that attack might be able to gain experience, but those that watch don't...
    I like the comparrison with the brain surgeun!!! [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Aren't there currently in-game quests for low-level characters that require going to the Satyr Islands to complete those quests? Making it a requirement to have a high level or high rating in order to access those islands would negate the ability for those quests to be completed. There is very little content for low-level persons; I would hate to see more of it diminished in favor of higher level content.

Growl

I still can't see the point of power leveling. My level 14 dragon has a challenging time against a level 14 Sand Ogre or a level 14 Brown Breeder Spider etc.
    So when I get to level 20 I expect to have a challenging time against level 20 Grass beetles. When I am level 30, I expect to have fun trying beat level 30 Amethyst Golems, and so on and so on
    So what is the point of me rushing through the levels as fast as I can, to get to level XX when I will then be fighting levelXX MOBS. ?
    Sure, when I am a high level player I will be able to knock those sand ogres in to dust without any trouble, but where's the fun it that?
    Can someone explain to me why it is more fun to be level 80 and figthing lvl 80 MOBS than it is to be level 14 and fighting level 14 MOBS?

Thread Information