Thread: Overhead chat?

Default Overhead chat?

I wanted to put that pic into one of the overhead-chat suggestion threads just to show how it can work ... uhm where are all the overhead chat suggestion threads?
    Either search function is not working for real or I'm too stupid using it properly or threads are lost?
    Anyway, just an example on how overhead can look as in Ryzom:

It adds much of immersion as it helps getting away from the chat box, people are very easy aware someone says something, main channel is encouraged and by that a kind of live in the world is encouraged. It should be an optional thing. It should work with bubbles as without bubbles (Wish did that) its more difficult to read in a 3D environment when names of others are shown too and align with a person. And it should be used with the same style of ellipsoid filter that decides wether you see the person as bubble or only in chat box. That helps very much in Ryzom to prevent crowding of the screen and cut of bubbles.

Horizons Empire

Default Re: Overhead chat?

I do agree that overhead chatting would be great to have. Not sure if AE has the resources to devote to adding something like this though.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

While this is a nice thing and definitely would add to immersion, I can't stand things that clutter up the screen and (even if only partially) block my view.

Thus, if something like this is added, I would like to see it being an *option* that can be turned off by those who don't want it.

:o It would be nice, but in UO in brittania there is a great example of how this could go awry... Spam... muting helps, but not lal the time, not to mention how many people you would have to block...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

imported_tramsan

Four ayes of four posts... Time to bring ina voice of dissention. :)

Personally I wouldn't like chat bubbles in HZ. If it works or not in a game depends on the atmosphere, and in HZ there's a more, errr, let's say somber atmosphere than in many other games. Chat bubbles go very well in a bit more "cartoonish" games such as Ryzom, CoH and similar. They would ruin the mood in Horizons.

$.02

I agree with tramsan
    Frons Von Frik - Order

It's an interesting idea, but eventhough I hate the big chatscreen I would still NOT use the bubbles, sometimes I play in first person and then I miss half of what is said by ppl behind me...

Interesting idea, but I dont like it.

Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information