Thread: Who decided the size of the buildings?

Flin

Default Who decided the size of the buildings?

When our guild initially bid on a plot the plan was to use the master plot to place the shops on, and then the members who recieved plots would use them as they saw fit, with an eye towards placing needed storage and housing.

I can't tell you how excited, and then dissappointed I was when we actually finshed the Tier 4 guild hall. Granted the hall is huge internally. Trouble is there is no room left to place any shops on the master plot as the guild hall took the full footprint, There also seems to not be any ability to put shops inside the hall.

Then I decided I would host the Human Vault on my 30x30 plot. Surprise Surprise, the vault took the full footprint, I dont even think I can place any trees around it.

The guild plots are a great idea, I just think more thought should have been put into the size of the buildings that are almost necessities for any small town or guild area.

No I am not ranting, just seeing if anyone else is feeling the same.

[:(]

Denak

Default Re: Who decided the size of the buildings?

Yep.

Eeyno

It actually depends on the size of the plot you get. My guild got Cire which is a T4 guild hall also however the land we got with it was 100x100 or slightly larger. I am actually able to build a human storage vault and every machine shop available on it.

Now I"m not disagreeing with you about some of the strange foot print sizes. Just take a look at the differences between a tier 1 house and a teir 2. I think the changes there are a bit ridiculous. I also have issues with the fact that you must build at least a teir 4 cosignment shop to equal the current NPC cosigners yet look at the size of that shop. It's HUGE. I'm hoping when they create the other racial structures the footprints will be more spaced out so folks actually havea chance to decide on what to put on their plots. Once all the guild halls are done and folks start building on the sub plots I think we'll have even more issues since most of the subplots are at 25x25 or only slightly larger. Can't even put a teir 3 house on a 25x25 [:(]

Lost

I honestly feel that more building should have been introduced with assorted sizes. Each having a tier requiring same amount across different physicaltype. The tier would decide storage.

The current system will result in tons of guild houses and not much else, it lacks in diversity. The old housing has such small storage vs new ones, no one will build them andthey will disappear and only be a memory of when there was diversity. [:(]

Junky

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyno
    Just take a look at the differences between a tier 1 house and a teir 2.
    I too have noticed that the T1 and T2 houses seem out of whack since the T2 only has twice teh storage capacity but 6 or 7 TIMES the footprint of the T1 (tent).

Do the old style "tent"s (blue and brown) have storage? Might replace my woodworking shop's scaffolding with a couple tents if they do (neighbor already built the woodworking shop, DOH!)

Corelis

I agree with the above a tier 1 house is 7x7 and a tier 2 house is 14x21. that means you can fit 6 (SIX!) tier 1 houses in the same area. Too bad they do not allow you to actually build more then one house per lot.

-Corelis

Someone mentioned other racial structures possibly having a wider variety of footprints. I couldn't swear to it now since we all lost Tazoon archive access, but I seem to remember a Dev saying that all the racial buildings will have the same footprints. ie. Human will have the same as Fiend will have the same as Sslik, etc. The only difference will be in appearance.
    Korsh HammerFell
    lvl 100 Chaos Warrior / 57 Cleric / 36 Mage
    lvl 18 Mason / 19 Blacksmith
    Order of the Phoenix
    Crucita in the Realm of Order

Clare

Quote Originally Posted by Corelis
    I agree with the above a tier 1 house is 7x7 and a tier 2 house is 14x21. that means you can fit 6 (SIX!) tier 1 houses in the same area. Too bad they do not allow you to actually build more then one house per lot.

-Corelis
    Ummm......I have a plot with a t1 guildhouse, t2 house, and t3 house. I don't know if that is what you are talking about or not. I do know you can only put one guildhouse per plot though.

kbert

That's interesting, I didn't know that you could put more than1 house on a plot, I'll need to look into that after I get my plot.

Junky

Won't let you put more than one of each size. You can have one of each T but not two T1s. I'm going to try to put a tent on mine with the T1 house (hope tents have storage like T1 houses).

I know that 2 tents can be put on the same plot since I saw one like that yesterday, completed.

Corelis

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize you could put varying Tier houses on same plot. I only knew you couldn't place same tier houses on same plot.

I was suggesting that if you could put multiple dwellings of the same tier on the same plot then you could have 6 T1 houses in the same area as one T2.

Can we get blocks of plots so we can build ALL the structures we want [:)]
    Aegis BlightMaker, Gnome of the First Order

visiting times vari

Onkyo

I agree that the sizes of the structures are a tad annoying. For example, the journeyman confectioner's shop and the human vault are bigger than they should be.

Not all the guild plots have badly placed halls. We won Grandli, and I'm very happy with it. The guild house was NOT square in the middle, they put it against the side of the plot, so I had room down the other side to put shops. Even though the hall is T5, and the plot is like 90x90, I was able to fit all but 2 shops, along with a consigner, silos, and plenty of room out front for decorative stuff once it's built.

When shopping around, I saw other ones that were very badly laid out - barely any room around the hall.

Here's an interesting question/scenario:

What if you build up your guildhouse, and unlock the surrounding plots so that people can buy them. What happens if you go back and REMOVE the guild house structure? That sure would free up a ton of space eh? Maybe that's an appealing option for some guilds since they could better place a new hall against the side of the plot instead of dead center. Maybe even go with a smaller hall?

Morphius

I do not believe that you are able to delete the guild halls though i could be wrong

The main issue was not the fact that AE force us to have a T4 guild house, is the potisionning.

They acutally placed it to the center-line of the plot. Making two small row on each side of 17mtrs. What you want to place in this area. When I tried to place the vault (at the rear),I was not able to align to the side or back because it detected I was on the plot edge. Altough our plot is 75x75, the vault 25x25 and the guild hall 50 deapth .... I could not do it. I suppect the GH not to be on the edge of the plot. I tried the mIRC and a tech ticket, but no answer.

I agree to AEforcing a certain type of guild hall (actually allowing should have been a range, i.e. in our case a T3-T5), and let us decide the placing and facing of the hall.

I consider this a strike for AE. 1-2-3 and your ...... [:$]
    Nalrach, Healer & Guardian, Member of the "Iron Circle" guild
    Ramti, Friendly draggy trying to wake-up from long nap.

The buildings are indeed huge. Tiny compact buildings would fit a medieval fantasy world better. But I suppose if everyone was able to fit a dozen or two buildings on their plots the lag would be awful in player towns. Huge buildings on huge plots means less objects to load and draw nearby.

BTW, for us metrically challenged, a 90 x 90 meter plot would be almost exactly 2 acres in size. A standard quarter acre residential lot would be about 32 x 32 meters. Our player towns seem more like suburbs than villages or towns.
    Ikfel the Crafty Dwarf
    Level 100 Blacksmith, Mason, Miner, Scholar, and Outfitter

Thread Information