Thread: Morrowind: Elder Scrolls Fans

Default Morrowind: Elder Scrolls Fans

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been a Morrowind Elder Scrolls fan for ages. (It's a solo RPG game). I was just surfing stuff today at work and through a long and winding path, found out that Bethesda Software is developing

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion !!!!!

Yay!! It looks REALLLLLYYYY cool! They've developed a new game engine, new graphics, and a new AI and it's being hailed as the Next Generation of RPGs (obviously not MMORPG).
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

Default Re: Morrowind: Elder Scrolls Fans

If they let dragons be a playable race I may actual take more intrested this time. I spent 8 hours playing number 3 and I could never get into it. Itis such a freaking huge game you must devoted more than a hour a day into this game in order to beat the game in your life time

Well, it's one of the things that was innovative about the game was that you didn't have to beat it, if you didn't want to persue the main questline, you didn't have to.

But the developers did realize that the huge game world was both good and bad, since it could be rather boring to traverse. So they have addressed this with the new game.

You still can persue the main quest line or any of the sub-quests. From the preview I read, it sounds fantastic, and they've created a lot of cutting edge stuff for a single player RPG. Perhaps, they will take the next step and create an MMO out of it.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

There are also some Screenshots out there (e.g. here:http://www.golem.de/0501/35561.html)

But I don't think they will create a MMORPG out of it.

(Btw I have beaten Morrowind, and also went one complete sideway - but that was before I entered Istaria, hehe).
    Clerical Chaos Conjurer

Waechter der Zeit
    Beta-guild from Earth - and we are still here!
    Unity

yes, its one of thoes games where the point is NOT in the "End" its in the Journey...

I never played to beat it - I played to play.

Same with Daggerfall - which is where the "neverending" type quest thing got started. They just made the world bigger for it in Morrowind.

However if they are saying they are cutting back for Oblivion - well that's not good. Its one of the major things that makes Bethesebda (however you spell it) RPGs stand out from all other RPGs.

It started with Daggerfall for me - far and away light years ahead/different than most other RPGs of its time - with the "no set storyline" and "everytime you play can be different".

I missed a few things from Daggerfall that didn't get carried over to MOrrowind - but still love playing it. One of those games you continue to pick up even if its been a year or more since you last played it - I played Daggerfall off/on for what..the 6-10 years it was between Daggerfall and Morrowind :).

They did "mmo style" RPG before MMO was even a gleam in the player's eye ;).

and yes it would be cool if they added dragons - but for single player games, I don't mind so much. I'm not spending a monthly fee to play them - I can settle for the more boring races :).

I've only played Morrowind III, it was fun.. But got boring. I made this sword that had life steal in it and that made me more or less invincible (could take on 4-5 Imperial guards with ease), at lvl 25 or so *yawns*..

The Alchemist part of it was fun.. Used to sit in the corner making potions (buy the resources from the Pawn Broker guy and sell the potions back for a nice profit). I had a bunch o' fun doing that ;).

I guess I'll try Oblivian.. Just hope it's like hl2 - AWESOME graphics engine, and doesn't require massive computer power to run it effectively.. I was getting 5-20 fpson Morrowind III (depending if I was indoors or out), opposed to 60+ fps in hl2, and the graphics difference ishugely notable.

The Oblivian Screenshots look impressive, and the dev reports do sound convincing.. I'm just not entirely keen on a Single Player only game..
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

I played all 3 to death, mainly as a battlemage. Battlemages in Arena and Daggerfall were hard at start, but ultimately powerful characters. They were a bit soft in Morrowind.

Funnily enough, I never tried a battlemage in HZ...

Re: TES: Oblivion, check this out
    http://static.bethsoft.com/images/ga...obliv_01-B.jpg
    Screenshot or photo? I'm impressed...

Quote Originally Posted by gusi
    I've only played Morrowind III, it was fun.. But got boring. I made this sword that had life steal in it and that made me more or less invincible (could take on 4-5 Imperial guards with ease), at lvl 25 or so *yawns*..

The Alchemist part of it was fun.. Used to sit in the corner making potions (buy the resources from the Pawn Broker guy and sell the potions back for a nice profit). I had a bunch o' fun doing that [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img].

I guess I'll try Oblivian.. Just hope it's like hl2 - AWESOME graphics engine, and doesn't require massive computer power to run it effectively.. I was getting 5-20 fpson Morrowind III (depending if I was indoors or out), opposed to 60+ fps in hl2, and the graphics difference ishugely notable.

The Oblivian Screenshots look impressive, and the dev reports do sound convincing.. I'm just not entirely keen on a Single Player only game..
    I remember playing Morrowind. Once I got high enough I made a ring that gave permanent flight. Combined with a spell with max radius that reduced target movement speed to zero and an alternate spell that reduced target strength to zero and you could solo just about anything in the game.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw
    I remember playing Morrowind. Once I got high enough I made a ring that gave permanent flight. Combined with a spell with max radius that reduced target movement speed to zero and an alternate spell that reduced target strength to zero and you could solo just about anything in the game.
    Well, Morrowind *is* a single player game [;)]. A lot of the mobs in Morrowind are "levelled", meaning they adjust their difficulty to match yours, how did you fare against them?

My toon was a level 18 knight and I waltzed through the main quest without really ever using a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1968
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Fireclaw wrote:I remember playing Morrowind. Once I got high enough I made a ring that gave permanent flight. Combined with a spell with max radius that reduced target movement speed to zero and an alternate spell that reduced target strength to zero and you could solo just about anything in the game.

Well, Morrowind *is* a single player game [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]. A lot of the mobs in Morrowind are "levelled", meaning they adjust their difficulty to match yours, how did you fare against them?

My toon was a level 18 knight and I waltzed through the main quest without really ever using a spell.
    Main questline was bugged for me so I never completed it. However using the tactic I described above you could immobilize permanently and virtually instantly any number of mobs, no matter their strength or level, and you could then kill them at leisure with your bow. Fine for a single player game, but obviously not the kind of tactic appropriate in a multiplayer game.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Krald

I think I remember making a HUGE fireball spell, I think it was an enchantment and blowing up most npcs in what I think was balmora. You could get so insanely powerful in morrowind it was crazy, but sometimes it was nice in a way.

You could adjust difficulty fairly easily by kinda.. gimping yourself as well, I mean I started a new character that wore no armour, had a cool kinda monk-type robe and fought with only a summoned spear, bow and summonings. He was a real conjurer, he would summon a beast to tank for him a bit, and then go up close and stab the mob from a distance or shoot it.

That was a hell of a lot of fun because I was not that strong really, I didn't have any awesome levitation, stealth or armour so I got hit hard, but I had lots of tools to help me out.

So you could build your own class really well, better than anything you could in HZ and balance didn't matter because it was a single player game and you could balance it yourself.

My main exploring character was a jack of all trades battle-caster type, I wouldn't say he was a battle-mage because he didnt use destruction, but he used heals, levitation, camoflague etc to aid himself in battle and I used him because he was basically uber, got him to level 75 and he was my "easy mode" character. He was very unbalanced, using probably the best race in the game (bretons) because of the stats. However sometimes I like that.. just something easy to go through quests in the expansions and such.

However, it did get boring at the end even with my purposefully gimped characters, but I already had hundreds of hours of fun before that so I had my money's worth.

A lot of people wanted more expansions on the official forums rather than a new game, but I think bethesda went about it the right way by making a new game because there is only so many times you can go through the same content over and over in order to experiance the expansions in a different way.

I can understand the supposed shrinking in scope of the new game, because games are taking a lot longer to develop as so we are told, and it makes sense to focus on a slightly smaller game. It sounds like the fluff of npc movement and such will be worth it too, so I look forward to TES IV.

Also I have enjoyed many more linear RPG's so even if it becomes quite linear I believe I will not be too annoyed.

When I first played morrowind my impression was that it felt big, but the quality of the quests and such were sub-par compared to more linear games, and hence I was turned off completely. However I got a new graphic card (new at the time at least) and from then on I loved it, I had my graphics pumped up and when I went to walk around in the water and saw it ripple in kinda real 3d-looking pixel shading rather than just sprites I was really impressed. Not many games have come close to that effect either, I kept going back to water just to see it :p. I even pumped up the effects in EQ2 briefly much at the complaint of my PC and the water there did not as good when you moved through it, even though it looked better in general.

While I was enjoying the graphics I was given enough opportunity to really get into the game and start to enjoy the freedom I was given and from then in it it was awesome.

I did alchemy for lots of fun. Luck improves potions-> Potions improve luck-> Luck improves potions->....
    Ever tryed a move with 10000 flight speed? :)
    Enisha Dryad 190/234 Caster (retired)
    Enix Dryad 165/100 Heavy Melee (retired)
    Enigma Dragon 100/92 Helian (retired)

Unity

Personally I felt the Tribunal Expansion pack to be the best [:P]

I loved Daggerfall. You guys are making me want to check it out again.

:o
    10000? Yeah. I remember testing that game. It was fun. Found some serious bugs that were fixed. But its funny, the kinds of bugs they were could be fixed locally, not globally. So when they got rid of one bug, there was another version of it found later.

A good example was (dunno if its still this way); You could make an item with a stat buff in it. And then rapidly swap between that item and another item for a while, and the buff wouldnt wear off, so you could make massive stats...

So that was fixed, but you can do it (or could) with potions.

But I had alot of fun playing it at work. Indeed the envy of the other teams...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Bring back the horse and cart, I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1968
    Bring back the horse and cart, I say!
    Hell yea!! One of the HUGE things I REALLY missed from Daggerfall to Morrowind!!

WHERE's MY HORSE!!! AHHHH!!!

I can't believe they took that out!! *curses in draconic*

Man I loved riding around behind my horses head, clop clop cloping through Daggerfall towns.... bring'em back!!!

Thread Information