Thread: Hmm, your opinion on this?

Default Hmm, your opinion on this?

I have played this game since it first came out and it has changed alot over time. It has alot of bugs and some people say that they FIX them. Fixing them uswally leads to more bugs or the gets even worse. The only reason I hang in this long is because of promises made that were never kept and the community. You may think that this game is special in the begining but it is lost.
    This game should still be in Beta; full of bugs, exploits, poor excuses for content, holo grinders, spammers, bad loot, etc. I could go on and on. After over a year of this...
    I've had enough of the empty promises and lies being used byXXX to keep us nostalgic players hopeful. Save yourself the time and money by avoiding this game altogether, and hold out for something that actually delivers what it promises.
    Played for a year and now moving on to other games. This game has almost no content and tons of annoying little bugs that really start to get to you after awhile.
    At that point, you realize that the only thing to do is take the same 1-stage missions that have no storyline, or drama.
    no story, no drama, no loot dropped worth a dime, no special rewards, no mission bosses, absolutely NOTHING to do after you finish your levelling. Huge disappointment.
    There is almost nobody actually playing the game, there is lands full of nothing that you have to run across to get to your mission spot. If you die trying to run to your mission, you just wasted a TON of time. Half the time you get lost and can't tell where you're going. And worst of all, you have to pay per month for this horrible game that never gets any real updates.
    ...and I lost the reference to the developers "doing what they decided to want, in their ivory tower" etc. etc.

No, this is not your regular VN post about Horizons.

It's about Star Wars Galaxies, the MMO based on those movies.

Now, I really liked to give it a peek, but reading this stuff... I am changing my mind.

Anyone who tried it could tell me in a "neutral board" such this if that game sucks that bad?
    Heck, so much complaining and that game does not even have dragons to whine about! [:P]
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Default Re: Hmm, your opinion on this?

well - I would take it with the grain of salt - and rather say get players you know who have tried it to get their opinion..

Because you won't find a single game out there right now whose forum doesn't have these posts - to a lesser or greater degree - not necessarily related to the game but possibly to forum moderation.

So when I read another gaming boards, I usualy throw out the typical "this game is crap and always will be crap" posts - and instead look for those more well thought out critical reviews. Most gaming forums out there have them I've found - although sometimes you may have to search and wait :) and watch.

Now I've had a few friends I know who played SWG - none of them stuck around longer than a few months - citing that they just weren't having fun. There version of fun is different from my version of fun (at least one I know is more into PVP and has been gaming so long he feels the only way he can stay long term in a game is to throw in the PVP risk aspect to keep it intersting). I know they were playing during the whole Jedi changing fiasco and the game working that out - and it really irked them.

I'm sure there are some here who have played SWG - hope they give you some feedback. I have not myself, and have no interest to :).

But I have gone to WoW forums, EQII forums, all of them - they all have posts like this. Along with "BLAHBLH NEEDS TO BE NERFED!" or "WHY CAN"T BLAHBLAH GET SOME LOVE!" or "BLAHBLAH CLASS SUCKS!" :) or my favorite "THE NEW PATCH TOTALLY SCREWS OVER BLAHBLAH CLASS THANKS DEVS!"

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae
    But I have gone to WoW forums, EQII forums, all of them - they all have posts like this. Along with "BLAHBLH NEEDS TO BE NERFED!" or "WHY CAN"T BLAHBLAH GET SOME LOVE!" or "BLAHBLAH CLASS SUCKS!" [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] or my favorite "THE NEW PATCH TOTALLY SCREWS OVER BLAHBLAH CLASS THANKS DEVS!"
    Hmmm. This sounds more like a human nature set of issues than anything doing with a particular game. People have an innate tendency to complain about things not going specifically how they want them.

Seems rather striking that the same types of forum arguments are so universal. I remember Earth and Beyond arguments along the exact same lines.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

gopher65

I've heard some negative things about SW:G, but many people also seem to enjoy it. I suppose that if you feel inclined to try it, you should. You may like it:).

Heh, except for some game-specific points, these could be traded one-for-one with complaints about HZ. [:)] Maybe it just goes to show how unconstructive complaints can be.

I've never been inclined to try SW:G, at this time a scifi-themed MMOG simply doesn't interest me. Although, the stories I've read about the game, negative feedback seems to hugely outnumber the positive, which would make me even less inclined to try.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Krald

I was tempted to get SWG, but the only reason I am tempted is because I think it would be funny to play as a wookiee dancer :)

I played SWG for 2 months, really enjoyed it at first.
    However, it is extremely easy to 'level', you can beome a 'Master' very quickly.
    If you played it normally it would take a long time, but no one plays normally...

you could take 6 months to build a character. In 2 days, someone could come along, join a Guild, get the 'Buffs' and good armour and hey Presto! your 6 months have been superceeded by some guy who just started. Who will then proceed to kick your head in in a PvP match.
    Exploits rule this game. Powerlevelling rules this game. If you get the right armour, no one can touch you, unless they have the same. There is no middle ground.

It had so much potential, and especially now with the ability to own spaceships and take to the stars.
    Unfortunatly, the add on means the ground is now deserted...

As i say I did like it at 1st, but there is no fairness. Certain classes rule everything, and that is that. Like it or lump it.
    I would like to see the Musician part and the dancing part in other games, as that worked really well, but overall, unless you are in a big Guild and are prepared to Power your way through everything, you will just be another target on an empty planet.

Shaw el Shadai Moking
    'Coming at ya...like a spring!'

I played SWG for over a year. Loved the game, but quit just after Jump to Lightspeed came out. On a populated server with a decent guild and friends it can be a very fun game.

I had a blast when my server, Valcyn, was populated. I was in a medium-sized IMperial city who was raided weekly by the REbels. That said, the combat system needs help, but they are working on a complete revamp of it due out with the next expansion.

However, the crafting system is amazing. Definitely rivals what we have here in HZ for depth, maybe even surpassing it in complexity.

The other good thing is that you can re-invent yourself much like you can here in HZ. You can be a pistoleer, then a rifleman, then a swordsman, then a merchant or doctor. You simply drop the skills (losing the XP and abilities), and pick another up. Its pretty flexible.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

SWG is a SONY game.
    Nothing more needs tobe said... [:'(]
    Clerical Chaos Conjurer

Waechter der Zeit
    Beta-guild from Earth - and we are still here!
    Unity

Amon, please give a look at WoW crafting system.

There's a nice idea that allows "post creation" addition to already existing items.

I.e. you can have a fine armour and later you can add +16AC just by tossing at it a leather "reinforcement kit".
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I have seen the WoW crafting system. I am not a big fan of it. It is ultra-simplified and I like the more detailed ones. Also, it is solely there to benefit adventurers rather than being something great for itself, like HZ and SWG.

Anyway, I was just responding to your query about SWG with my own opinions on the game since I played it from release on.

Oh and as far as the "its Sony, nuff said" issue... That is a total cliche, like saying anything about Micro$oft. Theremay be some truth in it, but SOE is by no means alone inproviding bad service. And in fact, I have received good service at times from them. Same holds for every other MMO I have played (and that is quite afew).

- Amon

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Krald

I like simplified crafting personally. Just something to do after adventuring some time, never over-riding too much. The only reason I really put up with horizons crafting was because I could do it while chatting, while posting on forums, and browsing websites and such, it didn't take much effort and I could do other things I enjoy while still getting some progress.

That said I did that a bit with HZ adventuring as well, but to a much lesser degree.

I played EQ2 as well and that had a active mini-game where you had to respond to certain events and such in the process and use certain buffs to try rescue your items from losing quality and such. While that was fun occasionly, it wasn't a change from adventuring for me because I still had to pay a lot of attention and it often felt combat-like in strategy and what you do. So for me, less active crafting systems are favourable as I like the change of pace and HZ's suffices for that.

I feel Vahrokh had a good point in mentioning the enchancement items.

Like for example as a blacksmith in WoW I can do iron counterweights which I can attatch to two hand weapons to give them 3% faster attack speed, or a shield spike that causes damage to an enemy every time the wielder of the shield with it attatched blocks with it.

Such enhancements can mean crafted items don't always have to be the best since crafters still have a use in enhancing of items. Also with just 1 per item, and the varying amount of enhancements available, they can be quite good.at providing an additional means to differentiate characters. I know teched items can provide some variety, more so if more varying techs were or are already added, but I really feel for any game I play I need good dropped loot and sometimes quested items, and if I can enhance it with a crafter skill and item that is how I like it.

This ability is available in a limited fashion now with sockets and crystals. Admittedly the crystals are mostly pathetic, but no one uses sockets very much. But in a way, that is no different than applying a Heavy ARmor Kit to your armor after you buy it in WoW or sharpening your blade using a Sharpening Stone to add +2 dps.

- Amon

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    Admittedly the crystals are mostly pathetic, but no one uses sockets very much.
    Don't you feel that the latter is a symptom of the former?? I know a fair few people that prefer sockets on their weapons to house the few ok weapon crystals in the game rather than tech stat or adv techs onto it.

So fix the former and the latter will fall into line. Please don't try and use the latter as an excuse for or to not bother doing anything with the former.

Yep, I completely agree that the lack of use of crystals and sockets is because for the msot part crystals are useless. I believe thatcrystals areon the schedule to revisit at some point in the near future.

- Amon

Amon you might remember from the bow incidents that I highly value sockets on all my weapons... :-) I prefer them so I can use what crystals I do have, I'd not change that plan if we had even better crystals to work with... :)
    25 months waiting for expert CNF forms. Tired of the intentional deceptions and being kicked in the junk.

ADV: Centenarian Nature Walker; Rating: 162
    Craft: 1900 levels; Craft Rating: 234
    DRGN: Lunus, Adult, 100 DRAG, 100 DCRA, 100 DLSH, Expert Lairshaper (Chaos-04)

No, try not! Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

If the enemy presents an opportunity, take advantage of it - Sun Tzu

Having problems with my right to speak? Report me or click here *Ignore Seranthor*

Krald

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    This ability is available in a limited fashion now with sockets and crystals. Admittedly the crystals are mostly pathetic, but no one uses sockets very much. But in a way, that is no different than applying a Heavy ARmor Kit to your armor after you buy it in WoW or sharpening your blade using a Sharpening Stone to add +2 dps.

- Amon
    Well, difference is those enhancement items in WoW are (mostly) crafted and can be used on both looted and crafted items. Crystals when I played were just loot (apart from now largerly useless satyr ones) and always applied in crafted weapons.

So its kinda the reverse. WoW enhancement items are (primarily) crafted items improving both crafted and looted items, whereas sockets are loot improving crafted items only. Now I admit I do like sockets, especially if theres level-appropriate crystals available. I'd like them in other games too, but I don't feel they are the same, even if the result is often similar, just achieved in different stages.

I guess post-production techs would give HZ an equivelent.

I know armour kits can sometimes be looted or quested for in WoW, but most are player-made. Its really the other profession items such as shield spikes or enchantments that make some craft classes more valuable in that game, rather than having to always create the best items off the bat.

How WoW wanted to do it is crafted items are the best for certain items, at certain levels, wheras loot or quested items better at others. This with the addition of these craftable enhancement items on top in order to make them still feel useful.

Now I'd never expect such a shift in focus in HZ, however I'd just like that if I went back to HZ, for me to be able, at the end to be sitting with mostly crafted gear, but with at least third of items from quests or loot but with some crafted enhancements.

I feel theres space for it all, crafted with loot enhancents, loot with crafted enhancements.. its all do-able and can make for a more interesting game.

Thread Information