Thread: Fix for Browser Hang After Hitting [Play] (Detailed Instructions)

Default Fix for Browser Hang After Hitting [Play] (Detailed Instructions)

If you're browser hangs after clicking [Play] on the main login screen, here are some detailed instructions to get past the new patcher program and reach the old one as mentioned by Dennett-TG. I'm just trying to let people that had this problem receive some step-by-step instructions with zero guesswork. I've had a buddy already have the problem today, and got him in by following the method Described by Dennett-TG in http://community.istaria.com/Web/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=57351. (About the link to the old patcher)

If you just go to the address bar, and change rungame.aspx to rungame2.aspx (keeping all the rest of the address the same), you should be put on the old patcher.

We can't currently put both links on the main page, because of a few technical issues. But that should still get you in for now.

Sorry about that!

Dennett
    Basic summary for those that understand what they're doing is as follows:

Copy the link from the [play] button and modify it to point to runGame2.aspx instead of runGame.aspx
    If that seems ambiguous to ya, here's a friendlier set of instructions with graphical dynamic turbo enhancements, herein called GDTE's -- kidding. They're just pictures

1.) Go to the main login page and right-click "[play]" and choose "Copy Shortcut":

2.) Click the address bar in Internet Explorer, selecting all the text, then press backspace to delete everything:
    >>

3.) Hold down the Control and "V" keys (CTRL+V) to paste in the address copied from step one.DO NOT HIT ENTER YET (Alternate method, right-click and choose "paste"):

4.)Add a number "2" after "runGame" in the address to make that piece ...Artifact/runGame2.aspx?...
    >>

5.)Hit enter, that should take you to the classic patcher without loading the new one... hope that helps.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Default Re: Fix for Browser Hang After Hitting [Play] (Detailed Instructions)

This is excellent work on your part and I must say that it will solve it in the interim.

However, the problem is bigger than this. Many will be left behind it the old patcher is removed when they feel the new one is working well enough. If at that point many cannot login without the old patcher it will indeed a game breaker.

What you have here is a workaround, nothing more. The real issue needs to be fixed.
    As a new dawn rises over Istaria, may we all band together to meet the challenges!

Continuing Development of Horizons... SWEET!

I think that their option to include the old patcher is a good move...Both will get you in game, but if you want to, you can help troubleshoot the new one...and though it is concievable, I do not think that Tulga will force you to use the new patcher until it is 100%, or at least 95% compatable for everyone...To do so would be stupid, as was shown twice before...hopefully they will have learned from that...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

If anything I think Tulga should link to the old patcher by default, and have players opt-in to test the new patcher instead of the other way 'round. Also, yes, what I posted is just a workaround for a small percentage of the population, but a workaround is better than nothing until things get fixed for all.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal`cyon Sskyler
    If anything I think Tulga should link to the old patcher by default, and have players opt-in to test the new patcher instead of the other way 'round. Also, yes, what I posted is just a workaround for a small percentage of the population, but a workaround is better than nothing until things get fixed for all.
    That would make more sense. But what happens when most the people who opt-in don't have problems and then it goes live? I haven't said anything because the new patcher works fine for me. So if I opted in I wouldn't see a problem. But it would still be there.
    The way they did it, while annoying as heck to you poor folks is the fastest way and most reliable way to find the bugs. I mean, they tested this on blight for how long and no one to my knowledge reported any bugs.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Death-Knell
    That would make more sense. But what happens when most the people who opt-in don't have problems and then it goes live? I haven't said anything because the new patcher works fine for me. So if I opted in I wouldn't see a problem. But it would still be there.
    The way they did it, while annoying as heck to you poor folks is the fastest way and most reliable way to find the bugs. I mean, they tested this on blight for how long and no one to my knowledge reported any bugs.
    I think that is their logic right now, and to an extent it is true. If the new method fails, and the old method is still around and works, a player would probably rather play than worry about playing debugger. A better solution (deemed technically infeasable at the momment) would be to have a link to the old patcher on the main sight, but stick it someplace less convienent than the default [Play] link.

I don't know who does their website, but it shouldn't be that difficult to generate another link with only the runGame2.aspx aspect changed.
    Is it today?
    "No."

Thread Information