Thread: I hope our community never gets this bad

Default I hope our community never gets this bad

Prolly in wrong thread, but oh well. Saw this article in the news had to post it.
    Cyber-sabre provokes real death

Click to enlarge photo

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily has said, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre", used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3", the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told on Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (464 pounds), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury".

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armour and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.
    Kaze Ancient Lunus Dragon 100/100 ~7 million hoard (Lv75)

Default Re: I hope our community never gets this bad

...well, I can't help it; I find that story funny as hell, on sooo many levels. As for our community; no need to worry about Unity shard, we just finished rebuilding Genevia Island for the lil' ones - even David's heard about it..[:D]

I have to admit I was laughing too when I first read the article, but the situation isn't to hard to repeat in HZ. Imagine if you will you lent someone your Boar Mask, they then did a runner with it, sold their account for cash. Wouldn't you annoyed? (would put correct wordage in there but would be blocked[:P])
    Kaze Ancient Lunus Dragon 100/100 ~7 million hoard (Lv75)

It may seem funny except that a person was actually killed :P

Keeneye Red

It is quite sad if you find this funny. Someone has been murdered! I really don`t see the humour in that regardless of the context of this vile crime.

yes, it's funny as hell. It's hillarious that someone's actually goes and kills someone for a VIRTUAL item. This tells us something about the human race, what we are really like, deep down. I never said it was a very good joke, but it's a joke nontheless. You have to look at things like these with a humourus eye...

Lffayen

makes one wonder what the stats on the weapon were. i wanna screen shot...
    of the weapon, not the people...

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    It's not funny that someone was killed. It's funny (sorta) that someone actually got that pissed over a VIRTUAL item, and a small amount of money (which was actually promised to him according to the article).

If I read the article correctly, he wasn't even mad about the money. He was mad because he wanted his pretend sword back, so he killed the guy who sold it.

What an idiot.
    Well I for one don't consider about $1000 USD a "small amount of money", but people have been killed for less.

I agree, this isn't funny. Neither are the charges Michael Jackson is being confronted with. Neither was the 2000 US election. Or the various torture allegations in Iraq. Or the rash of hostage-taking and beheading we had over there. Or various other things that happen each and every day.

Doesn't stop people finding them funny, or making jokes - How many Jacko jokes have we had? (Some of them rather good, I must say)

It's a coping mechanism. We have to see the strange andabsurd aspects of these things as amusing, otherwise our psyches would be crushed by the horrors man inflicts on man, man on nature,and nature on man.

And that's my psychological analysis for the day over with.

Antonath
    Antonath

Sorry i'm board and not companionate of idiotic behavior especially mine. It takes the same general immorality to literally stab someone in the back as it does to?. well stab someone in the back. They are both idiots in my view sorry if I offend anyone but it?s my opinion.

Lffayen

i like opinions. Don't be sorry, just be yourself. It's what opinions are for anyhow.

It must be one of the rarest ever item to pay 1000$ US money for a virtual item, still it's stupid to kill someone over a virtual item, its suppose to be a game to entertain ourself not to do such thing! it's sad! :(
    KalidoRs KaZaN
    Adv 100/crafter 100/Lairshaper 100 Ancient Dragon
    Chaos Shard

Rainspider

Well look at it this way, there is one less thief/scammer in the world now and 1 more lunatic locked up where he should be. Seems like a win/win situation to me. Sucks he had to die, but he should have thought about that befor he jacked someone onver on their things.

I have seen things on Ultima online go for almost $1000 befor on ebay. I sold one of the accounts i had for $658. was expecting to maybe get $150 but it just kept getting higher and higher. it is amazing what people will buy now days.

Zvah

Wonder if the person who bought it had it confiscated since it was stolen....

Oh I already understand how laughter helps maintain our sanity. The other side of that coin is that it also helps to desensitise. That is not always good. Mainly because then people tend to become to calous.

Soulfyre

Eh..

I just hope they lock the idiot away from society for as long as he can breath. I don't want something like that wandering around on the surface with me. [8-)]

That is a human who's definately not right in the head.. and so is any other person who thinks they need to seek legal or violent action for a pixelized thingamajig on a screen. Oh noos you stoled my uberness sword! It's my virtualrepresentation of my midgit manhood!! Get a grip.. geez. The scammer was probably more mentally stable..

Tonight on Fox: When Gamers Attack!

see also...

Gamers Gone Wild: Misbehaving MMOGers Like You've Never Seen Then Before!

"Show us how Rogues do it! It's natural!"

Krald

You know, this reminds me of an old webcomic strip I read a while ago.

In fact heres the link

I think its strangely appropriate..

Thread Information