Thread: Please do not post pictures from other fansites or "hotlink" to them.

Malaficeint

Default Please do not post pictures from other fansites or "hotlink" to them.

Does this mean I cant post a link to another site that has a map of Istaria?
    Are we allowed to post links to other sites at all?
    Can we include them in our sigs?

Default Re: Please do not post pictures from other fansites or "hotlink" to them.

were did you get that info from i never heard of it?

Default Re: Please do not post pictures from other fansites or "hotlink" to them.

If you do not control, own, or have permission to use the picture, or artwork you should not use it in your sig.

posting or linking pictures from other sites without permission from those sites can run afoul of copywrite laws and should not be used.

isn't it copyright laws. :P

Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Dont see how it would breach copyright laws to post a link. I mean wouldnt that mean google are breaking the law millions of times a day, after all that is a site that basically brings up links.

Then again im from Australia and you yanks have some weird laws anyhow [:D]
    50 Chaos Warrior on Chaos

So using Stratics in my Sig is allowed ? [:D]

zerbot

It's notpolite/ethical/legal to leech bandwidth from another site by linking to their pictures without permission. Nor even to copy their pictures so you don't leech bandwidth. Basically, don't use pictures unless you have the legal right to.

Now how many are using copyrighted images in thier Avatars? I'm sure Dangit wont do squat about it but still.
    Ancient Azure - Dragon of Blight (Now Chaos) 100/100
    Khan 'Azure' the Patriarch - 1st Adult Dragon
    Too Much Hoard To Count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariwena
    So using Stratics in my Sig is allowed ? [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

You can use it as long as you have permission. So ask Bree :)

dangit - did you get that frog's permission to display it as your avatar ?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Impure Mage lvl 52 / Enchanter 45 / Spellcrafter 42 / Mason 23
    ( Last of the Forgotten )
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    (99.6% html free signature)
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

Malaficeint

For those wondering where I got the title from

Read the forums rules.

I still dont have a definitive answer though, if I say hey...I found this great map over on STFU.com here's a link to it, am I breaking the forum rules?

I understand the siggy stuff. it is the posting of links to other sites that seems off the wall to me.

Malaficeint,

Some sites are against what is called Deeplinking. that is linking from within their site to another site. News sites are especially against this and it has been a big issue on the internet for a while.

the policy is there. to make sure people check that the site they are linking too doesnt have an issue with someone linking from with in their site. Most don't, some do. Most of the time all you have to do is read the policy of the site you wish to link and they will usually state if its permitted or not.

Malaficeint

Ok, so as long as it isnt a problem with the site we are linking to, it isnt a problem here.
    Sorry, not trying to be intentionally obtuse. The way it reads in the rules, it gives the impression of us not being able to link to other sites at all. Might I suggest clarifying that in the forum rules then.

I will clarify them. and thanks for bringing it to my attention

Thread Information